Cutting bale twines

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
What do you use for cutting bale twines?

I've had to resort to all sorts of methods, currently on small squares I just pick them up and give them a good yank and they'll break, I've used boxcutters, but always worry that the blade will snap and the cows would eat it if I couldn't find it, so I gave up on that.. I'm far to gifted at losing good knives, so that's gone down the tubes too.

I've found that carpet/linoleum cutters are perfect, they have a short (2") hooked blade, they're tough as heck, and I pick them up for $.50 each at a used building supply store. They're also cow-safe because of the hooked blade.. and pocket safe too. Since they're so cheap I don't seem to be able to lose them as easily either.

I use the Mastercraft flip knives (carpet/linoleum knife) with their heavy duty blued straight blades. About twice the thickness of a regular blade. Buy them for .20 a piece when on sale and load up. Replace blade about every two weeks when bale grazing - ice and frozen hay wads dull them after a few feedings.

But for small squares, it's easiest to tear off the twine nearest the edge of the bale, flip bale and repeat. Unless you have a compact, tight 100 lber that have absolutely no give in it - than what your doing, works best.

My bales are packed as tight as the twines will hold them, so it's pretty rare I can flip the twine off the side of them, though sometimes I do bend the bale in half after I get one twine broken

If I feed squares Bales no knife will do. I have to use my Leatherman and cut the wires! LOL. On my big bales I use the Jack knife style utility knifes. Dewalt makes one that stores extra blades in the knife itself. BTW, I feel naked as a Jaybird if I leave the house without my "Leatherman WAVE" they are a quality made tool. I hate to think how many times a day I use it. B&G

I treat my knife like and American express card "I never leave home without it" It was instilled in me at a young age that you had to carry a knife. I forget some thing from time to time but I never forget my knife. If I lay it down and don't put it back in my pocket every thing stops until I retrieve it.

I'm OCD about a knife and keeping it sharp
I'm carry a good knife, a work knife and a spare in the pickup, but they are all sharp enough to shave
I like the disposal blade style for chores like cutting twine and such

My Case trapper has two blades, one for work and one for show or shaving. The spey blade is the one I use for show and castration.

Latest posts