benefits of growth hormones??

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Report details environmental, land-use benefits of growth hormones in beef

By Ann Bagel Storck on 11/27/2007 for Meatingplace.com

Cattle raised on grain-based diets in feedlots using both natural and synthetic supplemental growth hormones produce 40 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions and save two-thirds more land than organic grass-fed beef, according to research from the Hudson Institute.

The Hudson Institute's Center for Global Food Issues compared land costs and greenhouse gas emissions of organic grass-based beef with conventional grain-finished beef using beef production models from Iowa State University's Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture and greenhouse gas emissions estimates from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The report details the human and environmental safety requirements for the use of supplemental hormones on feedlots, as well as the growing body of environmental monitoring studies showing no significant negative impacts from their use.

"Environmentally conscious consumers who have been told that grass-raised beef is more environmentally sensitive and sustainable should rethink their beef purchases in light of our findings," said Alex Avery, the study's lead author.

The Hudson Institute's Center for Global Food Issues conducts research and analysis of agriculture and environmental concerns surrounding food and fiber production. To read the full report, go to http://www.cgfi.org/cgficommentary/the- ... production

I have had the benefits explained to me several times and I'm still not going to use them.

They day I have to use them is the day I start getting out of the cow business.

(But thanks for the info!)

grannysoo":16wiz0qj said:
I have had the benefits explained to me several times and I'm still not going to use them.

I'm with you! If the feedlot wants to do it after I sell them the calves that's their business.

I agree, not to mention as soon as you make the tree huggers happy by using synthetic's the the PETA heads will start crying about the big bad beef industry and wanting us to all eat rabbit food, more so than they already do....So as a beef producer its a no win situation...

Have they found any long term effects of eating beef that has been implanted with hormones? It's almost like your darned if you do and your darned if you dont.

Avalon":11brsx3c said:
Have they found any long term effects of eating beef that has been implanted with hormones? It's almost like your darned if you do and your darned if you dont.

I dont know if you can believe the research on the adverse affects or not think to when the research said eggs caused cancer and now they say they're good for you...I think resaerch is like statistics the right person can make them say what they want.... :compute:

Legacy38464":1bjnvdpk said:
Avalon":1bjnvdpk said:

I dont know if you can believe the research on the adverse affects or not think to when the research said eggs caused cancer and now they say they're good for you...I think resaerch is like statistics the right person can make them say what they want.... :compute:

Brief Research on the internet shows that the Hudson Institute is heavily funded by large business interests (including those with an interest in feed lots)

I wouldn't take their research as the Gospel Truth by a long shot. Like other liberal and conservative "think tanks" they will find what they have been told to find.

Jon

MissouriExile":2km8ooa2 said:
Legacy38464":2km8ooa2 said:
Avalon":2km8ooa2 said:

Brief Research on the internet shows that the Hudson Institute is heavily funded by large business interests (including those with an interest in feed lots)

I wouldn't take their research as the Gospel Truth by a long shot. Like other liberal and conservative "think tanks" they will find what they have been told to find.

Jon

Excatly my point, I work with budgets and numbers for a living and I know that I can manipulate the numbers to show what is needed and never tell a lie.... :shock:

read the full paper and they fiddled with some models and facts and seem to come to the conclusion that on prime Iowa farmland it may be more "sound" ecologically to raise and feed grain to implanted cattle than to raise them on pasture.

A lot of real world variables were conveniently ignored and they seem to be a front group for the biotech industry. Not to mention the vast amounts of cattle country that are not prime Iowa farmground.

I'm gonna leave those to Barry B., the wrestlers & Crowders girls. Not for my critters.

Latest posts