BELTIE!

Help Support CattleToday:

Anybody else got some of these?
Seems there was a very brief convo a while back.

I believe she just weaned a calf. Shes bawling. See how her bag looks tomorrow morning. Came from a pretty fancy place I think. Printed ear tag with her name and birth date and owners name.
She will be 5 in April. Not bred.

She will get spoiled a bit til I decide what I wanna do with her. Puppy dog gentle. Eats cubes from your hand. Allows petting. If I read the tag right her name is "Willow"

I know someone will ask...
Weighs less than 600 at 56

We are in the money! Always wanted one. Now I got one.
View attachment 24505
98A8CE96-6A0D-4F19-9792-A52836ED100F.jpeg
Welcome to the club! I Bought this one for the kids. Gave $325 as a third stage, three year old. Of course she had a hfr calf, that the kids had to keep.
The daughter got bred by my Hereford bull and this is what we got AC0BB519-EBED-4F62-AEF0-0AE0A4944F64.jpeg
Of course it's another darn hfr calf! 😂😂

View attachment 24521
Welcome to the club! I Bought this one for the kids. Gave $325 as a third stage, three year old. Of course she had a hfr calf, that the kids had to keep.
The daughter got bred by my Hereford bull and this is what we got View attachment 24522
We had a couple purebred Hereford calves marked like that.

View attachment 24521
The daughter got bred by my Hereford bull and this is what we got View attachment 24522
Love it!
And mama has horns too. Neat!
Did the hereford knock the horns off the new heifer? A belted hereford heifer. That's just pretty dang kool

Got to be a little something in their background
Yes, I think so as well. Their stripe was a narrow maybe 3 inch wide band down the shoulders. One calf had it in one side and the other on both. The bull that they were out of sired a lot of white even by Hereford standards. We figured by his frame size, tendency to throw white among other things that he may have been from a line that had the old time red Simmental snuck in. The belt on the calves were only from two certain cows as well that have never had that type of calf from any other Hereford bulls.

View attachment 24532
She's a good little mama. I've decided that we have enough belts around and I want to start with some E.T. work so I think she is going to be our first recip cow.
Love that cow and her calf. Very nice.
There's some "panda" calves like that on Craig's. 2k and up

That's a nice thick cow. Bet that calf grows into a nice one

if she will throw solid colored calves id say shell make you some good money but i thought they always had a belt no matter what bull you used. if thats the case ive passed on several good deals on belted cows. i bought a angus cow last year that also weighed 565 she weaned a 450lb bull calf short legged thing looked like a big black hog from a distance lol

if she will throw solid colored calves id say shell make you some good money but i thought they always had a belt no matter what bull you used. if thats the case ive passed on several good deals on belted cows. i bought a angus cow last year that also weighed 565 she weaned a 450lb bull calf short legged thing looked like a big black hog from a distance lol
At 56 bucks she'll make him money no matter what...

Seen that done on a bull several years ago. The next rain and the belt showed up.
I knew of a guy that used to show cattle when he was young, was at a show one time and the judge kept placing lower quality black steers above his charolais so he dyed his steer black that night and won first place against some of the same cattle with the same judge the next day. He said afterwards he told the judge what he had done and the judge was so pzzed at him over it. That's alot of effort to prove a point but it definitely did.

I knew of a guy that used to show cattle when he was young, was at a show one time and the judge kept placing lower quality black steers above his charolais so he dyed his steer black that night and won first place against some of the same cattle with the same judge the next day. He said afterwards he told the judge what he had done and the judge was so pzzed at him over it. That's alot of effort to prove a point but it definitely did.
I watched a heifer who was reserve champ in class at Louisville get beat at a county fair by the judge's buddy. The champ heifer was shown there to prove a point.

I've seen the odd cow that was way too small and weaned a huge calf, too. One of my neighbors had an old cow that must have been starved and stunted early in life. Looked like a Holstein in color, huge head like it was from a 1600 pound cow but the body of a skinny 600 pound cow... and that cow raised solid colored calves bigger than her at weaning. Looked like crap but performed like a winner.

@MurraysMutts

I had a Belted Galloway cow for a couple years. She threw thick calves, but her attitude was horrible. She was high headed and could get snorty in the catch pen.

Bred to a Saler bull, she had a solid black calf.
Bred to a Charolais, she had a grey belted calf.
Bred to a Santa Gertrudis bull, she had a black calf with a partial belt and a motley face.

I have not decided what I'm gonna do with her yet. She's very pet-like. I didn't ask the prior owner how she got to be in such poor shape. Didn't want to offend anyone. The bull was in great shape.

I'm gonna feed her a while and think on it for now. For some reason I enjoy fixing one up a little. I know, I'm an odd lil man... 🤣

That boy missed the boat. He should have doubled down and sold the steer as CAB!