BELTIE!

Help Support CattleToday:

She is very petite. I could throw a leg over and saddle up easily!
A bit puzzled about the hair too.
I'm almost positive her calf sold today as there was a calf bawling and she would bawl back to it with regularity. But danged if I could've picked it out. There was NO belted calves sold. I watched the entire sale. Only about 225 HD today. There was a good sized adult black belted bull sold tho.

I could not buy a baby calf today to save my arsh. Cheapest one was a crippled jersey angus and he went for 160 bucks!

All others were over 300

Anybody else got some of these?
Seems there was a very brief convo a while back.

I believe she just weaned a calf. Shes bawling. See how her bag looks tomorrow morning. Came from a pretty fancy place I think. Printed ear tag with her name and birth date and owners name.
She will be 5 in April. Not bred.

She will get spoiled a bit til I decide what I wanna do with her. Puppy dog gentle. Eats cubes from your hand. Allows petting. If I read the tag right her name is "Willow"

I know someone will ask...
Weighs less than 600 at 56

We are in the money! Always wanted one. Now I got one.
View attachment 24505
Off subject but... why are your corral panels upside down?

Nope , that is a Dutch Belted or a Dutch belted cross.
Dutch Belted are a dairy breed that origins go back to Germany
Belted Galloway Is one of the colorations of the Galloway beef breed that origins go back to Scotland .
Good morning everyone!
Now see, I thought Dutch were much larger framed. But the shorter hair kind of threw me a bit. Perhaps lack of groceries...
I'll get some better pics when I get some daylight. Thanks!
Well you got a good deal alright and you will do well with her but did you notice how long her rear toes seems in the photo.

Ken
Had to look at that myself in the picture, as I didn't see long toes at the sale. Mostly manure. But they are a touch long. Just a tiny bit. Not out of the ordinary tho.
Off subject but... why are your corral panels upside down?
Told ya she was small!
Don't want her crawling out from under the pen!

Seriously. Smaller calves have been known to.... I wean one or two in that small pen then give em the big pen

O hey! G'mornin @TCRanch
Time for coffee and a daily chuckle?
😀

Belts are dominant in most any color mix... if the parent had a belt or half a belt, it will more than likely show up in the offspring. But, that said, I have had a couple skip a generation and then come up with a calf with half a belt. Same way with that white topline that goes to the "skunk tail"... very dominant..

Since galloways come in several colors, and a belted in black is more common but a dun is not unusual, I would say she is a cross, with the hair. And here, there are alot of "mini" cattle that are probably some convoluted cross and sell for a ridiculous amount of money.

She needs feed... and check her teeth. Just because the eartag says xyz doesn't mean it is hers. Also check the ear for a tattoo... if the eartag is hers, it is a chance she is a registered animal. I would say more likely a galloway cross, though.

Yeah, I'd call the number.... Not your fault that's all she brought... they might buy her back for a profit.....and they might just have needed the money and it is a shame for them that she was "given away"... but good for you. Another reason why we NEVER sell unless one of us can be there at the sale...
Had a heifer one time that was a total pig... Son put a roll of hay in the field 2 days before we shipped calves and she had a huge "hay gut"... bought her back for .46 when the rest were in the 1.20's..... ran her with another group of heifers and a month later she went with a group and brought 1.27.... would've lost big time on her.....

Since our 15-20 month heifers are still getting bred by the calving ease bulls we bought in 2014 and they are probably pushing 1800-2000 lbs, and her being an adult animal... she could handle the bull if he is not a rough breeder.

Most Dutch Belted dairy cattle are large jersey size or bigger. 1,000-1200 lbs on average that I have seen. Not as big as most Holsteins or Brown swiss.

Well guys n gals, we will know soon enough.
Registration papers are being mailed to me.

Shes had 3 calves by the big ol black belted bull that sold yesterday. And she did just wean her calf. The bull weighed 1390 and brought .78 per lb. He was definitely a Belted Galloway bull.

I also mentioned if they call me I bet I can do a lil better than sale barn price if they decide to sell more cows...

My son picked her up from the barn, my wife had to have her and bought her from him.
She had a solid colored calf, unusual.
That's her first calf.
You'll have to keep us updated on how the calf grows!

I've heard several things about the belt being dominant. But also hear sometimes the belt doesn't transfer to the calf. I guess the belt is kind of like the homo/hetero black thing. Only takes 1 belt gene to make a belted calf but doesn't ALWAYS transfer to the calf depending what the belted animal is bred with.

Yours looks like a good big solid cow! Thanks for sharing her with us

You'll have to keep us updated on how the calf grows!

I've heard several things about the belt being dominant. But also hear sometimes the belt doesn't transfer to the calf. I guess the belt is kind of like the homo/hetero black thing. Only takes 1 belt gene to make a belted calf but doesn't ALWAYS transfer to the calf depending what the belted animal is bred with.

Yours looks like a good big solid cow! Thanks for sharing her with us
She had a really good bag and gave lots of milk, the calf she is raising isn't the, maybe because she's a heifer.
My wife wants to keep her heifer, but recently cut one of her hind feet on something.
We'll have to get her well then go from there.
My experience with cuts on the feet haven't been good.

She had a really good bag and gave lots of milk, the calf she is raising isn't the, maybe because she's a heifer.
My wife wants to keep her heifer, but recently cut one of her hind feet on something.
We'll have to get her well then go from there.
My experience with cuts on the feet haven't been good.
Do you know the sire of the calf?

@tex452 your cow looks much more like a Dutch Belted... build, dairyness, udder... and from what I have been told, the dutch belteds seem to not pass the belt as much as the belted galloways. She's a nice looking cow.
@MurraysMutts , did they say why they sold her?? I am glad you called.

@tex452 your cow looks much more like a Dutch Belted... build, dairyness, udder... and from what I have been told, the dutch belteds seem to not pass the belt as much as the belted galloways. She's a nice looking cow.
@MurraysMutts , did they say why they sold her?? I am glad you called.
It's a bit sad. Herd reduction due to family issues. Kind of liked to known which calf was hers, I'd a at least run it up there a bit.

In the 80's there were few small herds of Belted Galloways around here.
Back then my parents ran stockers, and the buyers that bought for them would occasionally get one or two belteds in the group. While it wasn't necessarily what they wanted, they usually didn't grow quite as good as the Angus, Hereford or BWF calves they weren't too far behind. Back then they weren't the miniature or real little stuff we see most times now with the belteds.
At that price that little should make some money one way or another.