BELTIE!

Help Support CattleToday:

To stay competitive in a business you produce what your buyers want. If I could I would have all F1 smokey char/ang cows. They will out perform black cows every day. But the discounts will kill you, so I am down to 2. When they're gone the days of the white cows in my herd will be over (the kids have a crayon box of cow colors)
If you can't stand to make them blk, then feed them out and sell directly to the packers, no sale barn middlemen. The feedlot that I sell for gets the same price for the best blk str as the little fat red hfr or char.

We as producers all have the ability to top the sale. It's the decisions we make that affect our paycheck.
It is funny to me how people here talk about the discount for non black calves. Here those char cross calves sell right with black calves of equal quality. Good Red Angus calves will sell right with them too. The majority of B's calves are Char cross. I have helped haul in a couple hundred calves for him and then sat in the sale and watched them top the sale in every weight class. He doesn't keep the Char heifers for replacements. It is a terminal cross for him.

How tall is she? This one might need to be sold as a craigslist special for miniature once you get her healthy!

How tall is she? This one might need to be sold as a craigslist special for miniature once you get her healthy!
I'm gonna get a tape measure and see!

Shes VERY petite! Especially for a 5 year old. I'd have to hop up a bit but it'd be easy to climb on her back.

Shes smaller than Sugar, and I used to always think... who's calf is that? When I see Sugar out in the pasture. Sugar has finally grown to small cow size tho. Sugar is 2 years old with her SECOND calf on the ground!

You should put the tape to her. If she's under 48" at the hip, you ought to pour some corn to her and sell her through some miniature facebook pages. I'd have her fat and pretty by spring and someone will snatch her up for a premium

It is funny to me how people here talk about the discount for non black calves. Here those char cross calves sell right with black calves of equal quality. Good Red Angus calves will sell right with them too. The majority of B's calves are Char cross. I have helped haul in a couple hundred calves for him and then sat in the sale and watched them top the sale in every weight class. He doesn't keep the Char heifers for replacements. It is a terminal cross for him.
It could work that way here (KY) if you had the numbers to put together a load. I've watched loads of char and hereford crossed calves bring huge premiums.
With most the herds here consisting of >50 head, farmers don't have the numbers or consistency to put together loads. A quick way to make extra money is buying singles or small numbers that run through, grouping them if they're consistent and reselling them at some point. If I had time or inclination I've long thought that this would be a good endeavor for me; to purchase and group with my calves prior to selling mine. Maybe when I retire from my day job..

It could work that way here (KY) if you had the numbers to put together a load. I've watched loads of char and hereford crossed calves bring huge premiums.
With most the herds here consisting of >50 head, farmers don't have the numbers or consistency to put together loads. A quick way to make extra money is buying singles or small numbers that run through, grouping them if they're consistent and reselling them at some point. If I had time or inclination I've long thought that this would be a good endeavor for me; to purchase and group with my calves prior to selling mine. Maybe when I retire from my day job..
I can agree with you LM. The problem, as I see it, is keeping newly purchased stock isolated from what is on hand. For me this would entail
another set of facilities and since I would be dealing in small numbers, especially on the input side I would not have the economy of scale for
it to be viable. It might work if there were not an intact herd involved which is my priority.

It's a regional thing for sure. My char strs typically run .15-.20 back of their blk hided siblings. This sale barn has done a great job of promoting the "got to be black " mentality. And I usually top the sale for the wt class my calves sell in.

You should put the tape to her. If she's under 48" at the hip, you ought to pour some corn to her and sell her through some miniature facebook pages. I'd have her fat and pretty by spring and someone will snatch her up for a premium
20230105_175245.jpg
Petite! Looks like 42 or 43 inches

Last edited:
That's near micro size. Hopefully you have Facebook once you get her cleaned up. It may sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell her for 2500 to 5000 in the miniature market. Or ai her to a miniature highland and play that game.

The white gallows I had were 44 to 46" and sold them for 6500 per cow bred 3rd stage to a highland bull. They were fancy but most people in the miniature world don't know what fancy cattle look like. They just want tame and cute

I'm going to be so pi$$ed if Murray makes more off of a single transaction with this damn cow than I have with a single transaction with one in my life.

Then I'll congratulate him.

Son of a gun.
It's funny. Ya know I got a few heifer gonna need bred this June.
I've been looking for a lil beltie bull. Or a highland maybe even..

She is a miniature... not a normal standard sized galloway. It would be interesting to see if the rest of their animals are in the miniature range? You did say the bull that was sold, was a normal sized bull though.

MM before you advertise her height, take it again at the HIPS. That is where frame is measured. She is tiny.
Are you looking to put a calf on this new cow?
I wouldn't think that was wise if you want to breed her and put weight on her. But, you are our miracle maker!
My plan tomorrow is to kick Bessie out to pasture and put her 2 steers in the weaning pen to be fed a while. I have a small heifer calf on Eleanor I'm gonna give a go on Willow.
I don't mind feeding her a lil....
Murray could buy a trailer of miniature longhorns and make something work.
Sometimes it doesn't work out so great....
This one went from alive to dead in a matter of hours.... always the one ya pay more for too!
Screenshot_20230107-182915_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230107-182926_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230107-182651_Gallery.jpg
I'm a perturbed with Opal also. She ain't even looking close. Sale barn vets.... sheesh

Last edited:
I can agree with you LM. The problem, as I see it, is keeping newly purchased stock isolated from what is on hand. For me this would entail
another set of facilities and since I would be dealing in small numbers, especially on the input side I would not have the economy of scale for
it to be viable. It might work if there were not an intact herd involved which is my priority.
You only need a good vaccination program at home and a good program on arrival for bought cattle to minimalize losses and pulls. Good idea to be able to tell a sick one before they go beyond repair before you start.