Belted Galloway question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have 2 Belted Galloways for pets and are new cattle owners...They have very long hair and I brush them every evening. They are shedding alot right now, as it is starting to get hot. We are wondering if it is OK to clip their hair to make it shorter. We thought we read somewhere that their double layer of hair actually works to keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer, so we don't want to do anything to mess that up. Does anyone have experience w/Belties ?? Thanks :)

you can clipp them if they will let you clipp emm.but personally id prolly just let them slick off on their own.

We used to "slick" off all the old show heifers beacause they retained hair to long into the summer. That is until one of my neighbors came by and told me to start putting out sulpher blocks. If they are starting to shed, it will speed up the process. Works like a charm and I dont clip any of the older cattle any more....Unless i get bored.

Avalon":1wwonbms said:
We used to "slick" off all the old show heifers beacause they retained hair to long into the summer. That is until one of my neighbors came by and told me to start putting out sulpher blocks. If they are starting to shed, it will speed up the process.

What do you mean by sulfur block?

ozarkhillbilly":3f3t5hjv said:
We have 2 Belted Galloways for pets and are new cattle owners...They have very long hair and I brush them every evening. They are shedding alot right now, as it is starting to get hot. We are wondering if it is OK to clip their hair to make it shorter. We thought we read somewhere that their double layer of hair actually works to keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer, so we don't want to do anything to mess that up. Does anyone have experience w/Belties ?? Thanks :)

That's how it works in my Shepherd dogs. God made them preadjusted to climate. Shaving them messes with their ecosystem.

Melissa

Stocker Steve":29n3bdad said:
Avalon":29n3bdad said:
We used to "slick" off all the old show heifers beacause they retained hair to long into the summer. That is until one of my neighbors came by and told me to start putting out sulpher blocks. If they are starting to shed, it will speed up the process.

What do you mean by sulfur block?

My guess is the yellow salt blocks never saw one in the east but you can get then at any feed store in oklahoma.

:wave: HI HOW ARE YOUR BELTIES? I HAVE BELTIES BUT I DO NOT CLIP THEM, I GUESS YOU COULD BUT LIKE THE MAN SAID THEY ARE USED TO THEIR HAIR. MINE GET A LITTLE HOT IN OKLA BUT THEY DO JUST FINE. GLAD TO HEAR YOU TAKE SOUCH GOOD CARE OF THEM. MARTY

Marty-- Our belties are good. They are my wife's babies. They are pretty spoiled. They get a little hot here in Missouri as well, but they love getting soaked down with the water hose (and drinking directly from it). I bet alot of cattle folks on there would say it is silly to have pasture pets and spoil them, but we think they are fun to spoil and mess with. We didn't clip them. My wife brushes them out on most days, and the brushing helped alot as the weather got warmer by speeding up the shedding process a little. We have two belties-- a dun heifer named Dusty and a black steer named Cecil. They are pretty much just pasture pets for my wife but, don't get me wrong, I like them too. :cboy:

Lance.

Latest posts