• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Believe It or Not....

greenwillowhereford II

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Herefords averaged more than Angus at two recent sales where both were offered. Strang Herefords & Black Angus of Meeker, Colorado sold 47 coming 2 year old Hereford bulls for an average of $2,750, with a high seller of $5,250. They sold 16 coming 2 year old black bulls for an average of $2,534, with a high seller of $4,000.

In AB, The Amigos Production Sale X, 39 bulls averaged $2,853. 24 Angus bulls averaged $2,852.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
greenwillowhereford II":pz62mu9i said:
Herefords averaged more than Angus at two recent sales where both were offered. Strang Herefords & Black Angus of Meeker, Colorado sold 47 coming 2 year old Hereford bulls for an average of $2,750, with a high seller of $5,250. They sold 16 coming 2 year old black bulls for an average of $2,534, with a high seller of $4,000.

In AB, The Amigos Production Sale X, 39 bulls averaged $2,853. 24 Angus bulls averaged $2,852.
not arguing. cause i like hereford myself,, but this aint really a good indicator
 

greenwillowhereford II

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
alacattleman":1uiyhgo3 said:
greenwillowhereford II":1uiyhgo3 said:
Herefords averaged more than Angus at two recent sales where both were offered. Strang Herefords & Black Angus of Meeker, Colorado sold 47 coming 2 year old Hereford bulls for an average of $2,750, with a high seller of $5,250. They sold 16 coming 2 year old black bulls for an average of $2,534, with a high seller of $4,000.

In AB, The Amigos Production Sale X, 39 bulls averaged $2,853. 24 Angus bulls averaged $2,852.
not arguing. cause i like hereford myself,, but this aint really a good indicator

I understand that it is not scientific etc. But you've got to start somewhere.And I believe it was a year or two ago that the herfs averaged higher at the OBI or OSU (I forget which) sale. That would indeed be a better indicator than individual breeders, but there were more Angus in the sale....
 

Alberta farmer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
It would be interesting to see what kind of herds those Hereford bulls were going to? Maybe some ranches are trying to breed some hybrid vigor into their Angus herds? Or trying to get some good black baldy replacements?
In Alberta the hereford bull is becoming a very rare sight and a herd of red white faces even rarer! Not to hard to figure out why. Good straightbred hereford calves take a routine ten cent discount at the sales. Up here they are "yesterdays" cattle.
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Alberta farmer":2b5f838k said:
It would be interesting to see what kind of herds those Hereford bulls were going to? Maybe some ranches are trying to breed some hybrid vigor into their Angus herds? Or trying to get some good black baldy replacements?
In Alberta the hereford bull is becoming a very rare sight and a herd of red white faces even rarer! Not to hard to figure out why. Good straightbred hereford calves take a routine ten cent discount at the sales. Up here they are "yesterdays" cattle.

Here's the "Amigos" website. It has the averages from the 2007 sale. Looking at 2007 prices, Angus are catching up to Herefords. Maybe you will recognize some of the buyers?

http://www.pahl-livestock.com/sale-amigos.htm
 

greenwillowhereford II

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Around here, Herf breeders who are my friends are telling me they are selling a lot of bulls into black herds. A top selling point is disposition.
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
greenwillowhereford II":1upamsye said:
Around here, Herf breeders who are my friends are telling me they are selling a lot of bulls into black herds. A top selling point is disposition.


Now there's a surprise.!!!!!!!
 

BeefmasterB

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Location
SE TX
greenwillowhereford II":329mtjs1 said:
Around here, Herf breeders who are my friends are telling me they are selling a lot of bulls into black herds. A top selling point is disposition.


Not to mention that Black Baldies are in demand as well!
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
greenwillowhereford II":1sy8wdiu said:
Around here, Herf breeders who are my friends are telling me they are selling a lot of bulls into black herds. A top selling point is disposition.

Around here, whatever breed bull you're selling, it'll probably go into a black herd. :)
 

Wisteria Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Illinois
Since y'all are talking Hereford bulls.... did anyone go to NAILE in November? We were walking through the Angus barn and some Herf breeders were bringing their bull through the barn...Holy Mother of God that thing was the biggest bull I've ever seen in my life.. it was horned so it just looked like a beast...AMAZING.
 

Latest posts

Top