Belgian Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

It's butt looks like a pumpkin... :shock:

Alice

Had a client who raised Belgian Blues. Spent $13,000 on c'sections one spring. Doesn't raise them any more, except for one cross bred female he breeds non 'blue semen.

Vicky the vet":36ooep8o said:
Had a client who raised Belgian Blues. Spent $13,000 on c'sections one spring. Doesn't raise them any more, except for one cross bred female he breeds non 'blue semen.

Vicky,

I could never understand why all the C-sections. When other breeds are AI-ed with Belgian Blue semen, the calves are normal size. I have seen lots of jerseyX belgian blue and also 1 red pollX belgian blue. The owners all claimed these calves to be rather small and born easily.

Why can't a belgian blue female give birth to a belgian blue calf? Can you shed some light, please?

KNERSIE":301sre7d said:
Vicky the vet":301sre7d said:

Vicky,

I could never understand why all the C-sections. When other breeds are AI-ed with Belgian Blue semen, the calves are normal size. I have seen lots of jerseyX belgian blue and also 1 red pollX belgian blue. The owners all claimed these calves to be rather small and born easily.

Why can't a belgian blue female give birth to a belgian blue calf? Can you shed some light, please?

Well, the pelvis on some of these females would have a hard time calving a cat. The main problem I've seen is not huge calves, but fetopelvic disproportion from the dam's perspective. Some of the calves though are huge. I've seen 1700 lb simmie recip females need c'sections to get out one of these big calves....and they can usually calve 120 lbs unassisted.....

Not my breed of choice, but a good money maker for my profession all the same.....

KNERSIE":s3hqs4dz said:
Vicky the vet":s3hqs4dz said:

Vicky,

Guy over in Selma, about 30 miles from me raises Belgian Blues.

Hardly ever a calving problem.

Arnold Ziffle":38g8tv8z said:
Hey DOC, does this one have enough butt for you? :)

http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2 ... ais=Bovins
Arnold - It really isn't a matter of whether there is "enough" butt for me - it is a matter of the "Type" of butt which is presented. This comes under the "Glossary Classification" of "Big, Broad, Bulbous, Bulging, Boundless, Bulky, Burly, Bombastic, Bathtub Bonkers, Baboon Butts! Sub-paragraph I. Sub-paragraph II is indescribable!

For desirable and optimal Phenotype and Genotype trait selection, these hindquarters are not the most desirable - taking everything into consideration. The cross-breeding problems could be insurMOUNTable!

DOC HARRIS

MikeC":coa6ulq1 said:
KNERSIE":coa6ulq1 said:
Vicky the vet":coa6ulq1 said:

Vicky,

And Yet a couple of years ago there was poster on here that raised them in EU and C-sections were the common practice. Of course those were BB cows bred to BB bulls

dun":31737s8x said:
MikeC":31737s8x said:
KNERSIE":31737s8x said:
Vicky the vet":31737s8x said:

Vicky,

And Yet a couple of years ago there was poster on here that raised them in EU and C-sections were the common practice. Of course those were BB cows bred to BB bulls

In 1995 I went on a two week ag tour of Belgium France and Southern England. WEent to one farm that raised Blues the were in barns when we saw them. Looked like they could figure a way to put a zip lock seal on the side for easy delivery. I think they had four or five calves then sold them all c sections. The farm buildings were set up in a square barn was one side, house on another stoarge shed and milk barn. I think they also made cheese. the yard area between the buildings was all cobble stone.

A few years ago I had the privelige of speaking to a breeder of BBs from Europe. His cattle were all C-sections, regardless. They did not even give the cows the chance - their calving shed was set up sort of like a stables, with four caesar bays on one side and a row of recovery stalls on the other. The older cows were so used to it they would come into the shed and walk straight to a caesar bay.

And yet there is one breeder here in Australia that I know of, raising pure BBs, who has the majority of his cows calve naturally.

Latest posts