Bekaert vs Tornado wire

Help Support CattleToday:

obsidian73

Reaction score
Hey all I am new here and looking to get some cattle for the first time. Right now I am getting ready to get some fencing in for about 5 acres. I plan on sectioning off into thirds with probably 2-3 cows rotating in 2 of the pastures and a couple of pigs (Idaho pasture pigs) in the 3rd pasture that is have pasture and half woods.

I have quotes one for "Bekaert 9/49/6 solidlock high tensile woven wire" and the other for "1348-12 tornado woven wire". The cost is pretty close for both so I am curious if anyone out there has had experience at both and what their experience has been?

Apples and oranges here. The 9/49/6 is 49 inches tall with 9 horizontal wires with the vertical stays 6 inches apart. The 1348-12 is 48 inches tall with 13 horizontal wires with the vertical stays 12 inches apart. The 1348-12 is closer spacing on the horizontal wires and wider spacing on the vertical. Just recognize that the two configurations are different. How small are these pigs? Make sure the opening size in the fence will hold the pigs.

simme said:
Apples and oranges here. The 9/49/6 is 49 inches tall with 9 horizontal wires with the vertical stays 6 inches apart. The 1348-12 is 48 inches tall with 13 horizontal wires with the vertical stays 12 inches apart. The 1348-12 is closer spacing on the horizontal wires and wider spacing on the vertical. Just recognize that the two configurations are different. How small are these pigs? Make sure the opening size in the fence will hold the pigs.

I'm going to add to Simms good points.
Hogs go under, not over. The more vertical wires the better. Not just because of the smaller squares but the increase in vertical wires adds considerably to the stiffness of the finished product. Also don't cheap out on post spacing when controlling hogs. Both companies make very good wire. 13486 would be a great choice for hog control.

Oklahoma wire is entering the hightensil wire market. One of the oldest fence manufacturers in the us. And completely melted and made in the USA . If that's worth anything

Guys,

Thanks for the great information. As for post they are 5" line posts on 16' spacing's. I have attached a layout of my planned fence. Feel free to offer suggestions.

[image]451[/image]

Simme - As for the pigs I do not have any as of yet. Right now I am waiting to get the fencing up before I get anything else. Right now I am hoping to have the fence up by the end of next month but will have to see if all goes well.

Callmefence - Thanks for the great input I have asked my fencing guy to give me an updated quote on the 13486 to see what the difference in cost would be like. As for around the pigs I was thinking of doing a strand of electric around the bottom just enough to tell them to not get to close to the fence. While they are young I was thinking of just getting temp electric netting in smaller area until they are big enough to roam free safely. Any thoughts?

Boots said:
Oklahoma wire is entering the hightensil wire market. One of the oldest fence manufacturers in the us. And completely melted and made in the USA . If that's worth anything

I hadn't heard this. Are they going to start making some kind of 14 gauge high tensile barb?
I've gotten a lot of guys started on the stay tuff 14 gauge high tensile here. Love the stiff

Bekaert all the way. Bekaert has been producing high tensile Fixed Knot products since the early 1990's in Van Buren AR USA. You can get the 949-6, 1348-12 and 1348-6 mentioned in the previous posts. Bekaert offers coatings with 20 and 30 year coating guarantees. I like either of the 13 wire products if you are including pigs, but have had good success in Texas with 6 inch stay for hog control. Also, consider running a 14 gauge Bekaert Cattleman high tensile barbed wire along the bottom and a hot wire across the top. Use the hot wire at the top as a power source for simple pasture divisions that you can change as your forage growth changes throughout the year. Check out the Bekaert website for installation videos and further product information.

Dr Wire said:
Bekaert all the way. Bekaert has been producing high tensile Fixed Knot products since the early 1990's in Van Buren AR USA. You can get the 949-6, 1348-12 and 1348-6 mentioned in the previous posts. Bekaert offers coatings with 20 and 30 year coating guarantees. I like either of the 13 wire products if you are including pigs, but have had good success in Texas with 6 inch stay for hog control. Also, consider running a 14 gauge Bekaert Cattleman high tensile barbed wire along the bottom and a hot wire across the top. Use the hot wire at the top as a power source for simple pasture divisions that you can change as your forage growth changes throughout the year. Check out the Bekaert website for installation videos and further product information.

Welcome Mr wire.
Good informative post.
More than some yayhoo regurgitating what theve heard.
Fence professional?
Fence salesman?
Fisherman freelining a well baited hook..?
All the above...lol

callmefence said:
Dr Wire said:

Welcome Mr wire.
Good informative post.
Fence professional?
Fence salesman?
All the above...lol

I vote B and C.

No bekaert around here. How does it compare to stay tuff? I've put in around 5 miles of the stay tuff14 G hightensle this year, love the stuff. I've had to twist a few guys arms to let me use it, But everyone of them was satisfied with it. That's all they will let me use now.

T & B farms said:
callmefence said:
Dr Wire said:

Welcome Mr wire.
Good informative post.
Fence professional?
Fence salesman?
All the above...lol

I vote B and C.

No bekaert around here. How does it compare to stay tuff? I've put in around 5 miles of the stay tuff14 G hightensle this year, love the stuff. I've had to twist a few guys arms to let me use it, But everyone of them was satisfied with it. That's all they will let me use now.

Bekaerts , staytuff and tornado all good products. And I agree 14 gauge ht is what to use. It's always seemed to me staytuff had a neater galvanized finish than the other two. Not better just cleaner. Tornado has the most wicked Barb's I've ever seen. Tornado has a good tight twist that stretches good. It has a wooden spool that's neat to look at, but a nightmare in the field. Tornados 4" Barb spacing is good, but it means you have to strip Barb's to use gripples , a 5" spacing you don't have to strip Barb's. Again all three good products. Use the one you get a good price on local is my :2cents:
Most people don't build a good enough brace or pull the wire tight enough to matter anyway.... :nod:

Boots said:

Maybe the can add some tensil strength to their elecric fence wire. Most useless junk I ever seen.

Allenw said:
Boots said:

Maybe the can add some tensil strength to their elecric fence wire. Most useless junk I ever seen.

What gauge and tensile where you using.?

callmefence said:
Allenw said:
Boots said:

What gauge and tensile where you using.?

https://www.atwoods.com/oklahoma-steel-and-wire-14-gauge-1-2-mile-electric-fence-wire.html

I'm sure this is what I bought 12.5 gauge, tensile strength ? less then baling wire I'm sure. It will stretch until it breaks, definently not on my recommended list.

Latest posts