Beefmasters worthless in the north.

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.":2tuzxncn said:
dun":2tuzxncn said:
manaftergodsheart413":2tuzxncn said:
the breed originated in COLORADO if that means anything and we all know how cold it gets up there

From the Beefmaster breed Association

"Beginning in the early 1930s, Tom Lasater, the breed's founder, developed Beefmasters from a systematic crossing of Hereford, Shorthorn and Brahman cattle. His purpose was to develop cattle that were more productive than existing breeds; cattle that would produce and make money during economically hard times in the harsh environment of South Texas."

dun[/qu
That's true, but the herd was moved from Falfurrias, TX to Matheson, CO where further development took place.
now lassitor has 2 ranches.1 in co an 1 in tx.

skcatlman, you have been lied to then! The breed colour is yellow, as this is unstable, 25% each of white or red are thrown, NO BLACK IS PERMITTED! The origional stovk selected and purchased by Len Harvey, the breed founder, were all horned, a 'sport' bull was born about 20 years into the breeding program, all the polls descend from this bull, typically 25% horned, but with selection pressure on polled stock this is reducing. I have seen pictures from Calberta in the American Tuli Breeders Association magazine, there are definately some Indicus crosses amongst the cattle pictured-not pure Tuli. I have been around the breed all my life and knew the late Len Harvey, so I know a little about the breed!
I said the AMERICAN UNIVERSITIES classified the Tuli as Bos Taurus in their research not the South African Breeders association,please read my threads properly before jumping to conclusions, nobody likes their breed misrepresented, especially when they are a relatively unknown breed. I have some Tuli Brangus crosses, with one exeption, the Tuli has 'Knocked the ears off" in the F1 crosses. Do a little more research before trying to educate me on a breed you have had minimum exposure to there is enough information on the internet on the breed to update your information.

S.R.R.":o8i6wz6z said:
Looks like they are not a very versatile breed but do well when used solely for what they were breed for.

What breed of cattle would you consider to have the ++ beefy attributes of the Beefmasters but able to thrive in more then just one type of climate?
You may can try a Charolais or Angus xbeefmaster cross.

I didn't want to get into an agrument. As i stated ealier i am going from experience and i am not a breed expert but i was told the calbeta cattle i was caring for were pure tuli. That is obviously a lie as there were blacks, dark reds,chocholates. light reds and duns. I guess you could kinda call the duns an yellow. But there were no whites.Everything was polled and had a bit of ear when i processed them.So someone was screwing with the cattle. Not alot of people up here have ever seen a tuli and seeing cattle that are called pure and do not fit what you say a pure anuimal should look like makes me wonder what the he!! was going on . Was this a problem with the embryos imported or was someone trying to pass off these cattle as more than they were, or were there problems at the stud? I know what the cattle looked like that i cared for that were supposed to be tuli and most don't fit your description. I was not trying to educate you just on the breed, but originally made a comment on how these cattle could not take the canadian cold like other breeds becauses they appeared to be bred for heat, and bugs not cold. And i lumped them in with the brahmans,and beefmasters they all generally looked similar in that they had droopy ears, some alot bigger than others, humps of different sizes, lots of loose skin in the sheath and throat latch as well as short fine hair. To be quite honest while feeding in the really cold wether i felt sorry for the animals and even though they had lots of bedding their performance in our western canadian climate was not good to say the least, the feed conversion hit the skids as well as the average daily gain when compared to other cattle in the feedlot. I am not saying pure tuli's are bad cattle just not suited to the western canadian climate currently. I hope you are not going to want to argue this, as i have the performance data if you want i will find it and send it in a PM for you to look at.

There is a herd of beefmasters right down the road from my place and they do just fine in the winter. They will acclimate to an area just like any other breed. The different herds of them here in central IL seem to do pretty well at the sale barn too.

ALACOWMAN":1p4h1v19 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1p4h1v19 said:
I guess I would not consider Oklahoma as very NORTH! :shock: You may have some cold weather, but not like it is up North (really North).
Yesterday it was -13, been like that for nearly 3 weeks with wind blowing 25-35 mp. Brutal on the cattle, no matter how much hair they have.
Today going up to mid 30's :heart: what a releaf.
Yesterday, temp was hi of 20's, but no wind & sun was out. Had cattle laying flat out like they were dead - soaking up the warmth.
I would seriously think thin skinned, short haired cattle would have a tough time here.
those beefmaster babies dont hit the ground running in cold weather either

Thats because you forgot the starting fluid ;-)

AS most would say.. to each their own. I happen to like the beefmaster breed... its good for my area..and our temperature extremes. But I mainly have them for their temperment. calm, relaxed and very easy calving breed. (big mommas)

Latest posts