Beefmaster Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Vmedina93

Reaction score
I have a few cattle in my ranch including an angus heifer. I do not have a bull to start breeding them. I came across a Beefmaster Angus bull that's only 6 months on the internet and wanted to buy him for my angus heifer. I was wondering if anyone knew or could help me out if he would be a good bull to start breeding. He comes from registered blood lines. He's out of a Angus Shorthorn Cow,Beefmaster bull. He's all I can afford for now. Any help is really appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 77E0FF29-AB80-4CCA-A52F-994E8349C6D3.jpeg
    77E0FF29-AB80-4CCA-A52F-994E8349C6D3.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 41
I have a few cattle in my ranch including an angus heifer. I do not have a bull to start breeding them. I came across a Beefmaster Angus bull that's only 6 months on the internet and wanted to buy him for my angus heifer. I was wondering if anyone knew or could help me out if he would be a good bull to start breeding. He comes from registered blood lines. He's out of a Angus Shorthorn Cow,Beefmaster bull. He's all I can afford for now. Any help is really appreciated, thank you.
I have been in that situation more than once, where my budget limited what I could afford. He is young, but if your not in to big of a hurry he will eventually get things done. Some of the little feeder bulls I have purchased have actually produced some nice calves, and others were definitely better than no calf. He would be a start :)

Honestly I don't even know. I'm suppose to go see him this week. I'm not that familiar with cattle.
You need a mentor....there's another post titled "Buyer Beware" that you should read. An education costs money and you could be about to make your first payment. You need to find an experienced cattleman in your area to consult with.

J+ Cattle

I have been in that situation more than once, where my budget limited what I could afford. He is young, but if your not in to big of a hurry he will eventually get things done. Some of the little feeder bulls I have purchased have actually produced some nice calves, and others were definitely better than no calf. He would be a start :)
I'm not really in a rush, I'm just trying to get into the cattle business since I have 40acres of land full of grass and oats. I run a boer goat ranch and I'm trying to expand onto cattle since I won't spend much on feed for them but I'm not sure what bull would be best to start with. But I appreciate your answer helped out a lot 🙏🏻

You need a mentor....there's another post titled "Buyer Beware" that you should read. An education costs money and you could be about to make your first payment. You need to find an experienced cattleman in your area to consult with.

J+ Cattle
Yeah I figured I need someone who knows a lot more about cattle to help me with this. Thank you 🙏🏻

In my opinion the calf pictured and described is a commercial calf that would go at our local sale barn for about $1.25 to $1.55 a pound. Because he is still a bull at 6 months you can knock off about 20 to 25 cents a pound. Prices may be better or worse depending on where you are located. He looks small for his age and I am just guessing that he might weigh 500 pounds. At that weight I would expect him to bring somewhere around $650.00 here. Perhaps less, since he is just a single animal. If I were to see both his parents and find them to be exceptional, I might change my assessment.

This bull will probably not be able to sire any calves for you for another 5 to 7 months, and you will be feeding and caring for him that whole time. Remember to include that in his cost. You might be better putting the money you will spend feeding, vaccinating and caring for him for the next 7 months towards a better bull next spring. Before I even went and looked at this animal in person, I'd ask the seller what he weighs right now, and ask them to send you pictures of the sire and dam. I'd then call a local sale barn to find out what other bull calves in his weight range are bringing. Don't let someone take advantage of you. If buying him for a bull, I would demand to see the papers on the sire. I would want to see both the sire and the dam in person. I suggest you post pictures of this calves parents here for comments, before you commit to something. There may be plenty of calves like that available at any sale barn for less money.

This is the father to the calf

Attachments

• D794B026-E051-4333-8F10-C3631C60E08E.jpeg
    D794B026-E051-4333-8F10-C3631C60E08E.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 25
You might check in to leasing or "renting" a bull. You can get a good quality bull for a very reasonable monthly price.

I would pass on that bull. You will benefit most from a bull of a single breed. Craigslist is generally not a great place to shop, even on a budget. Things that appear cheap on the surface can cost you big. If that bull brings any kind if disease like bvd or some thing of that nature he will cost you far more than a good bull from a reputable breeder.

Try to give as much info as possible like location, how many cows he will be servicing, their age, breed, and your budget, if you would like. The more info you give the more accurate of a response you will get.

You might check in to leasing or "renting" a bull. You can get a good quality bull for a very reasonable monthly price.

I would pass on that bull. You will benefit most from a bull of a single breed. Craigslist is generally not a great place to shop, even on a budget. Things that appear cheap on the surface can cost you big. If that bull brings any kind if disease like bvd or some thing of that nature he will cost you far more than a good bull from a reputable breeder.

Try to give as much info as possible like location, how many cows he will be servicing, their age, breed, and your budget, if you would like. The more info you give the more accurate of a response you will get.
Much appreciated 🙏🏻. I was planning on just buying him but figured I'd ask around here first before I spent money on an animal I'm not quite familiar with.

Even one heifer deserves a live calf. Be careful that you don't breed her to something that carries a big birthweight in his genes, or you could lose the cow and the calf. Then you would just have a bull...

You don't use cross-bred bulls. Ever. Especially a Heinz 57 like that. Crossbred cows x purebred bulls...YES. Never a cross bred bull x a purebred cow. That calf was bred to be a terminal cross. And would have made an excellent steer. Makes you wonder if somehow he got missed at castration time, or if the owners just don't know anything about cattle either. How many breeding age cows and heifers do you currently own? Also, if you would, please go back into your profile and add your location. Like your Boer goat operation: YOuy wpouldn;t put a plain ole, barnyard mutt billy goat in with your herd of purebred Boer nannies

Latest posts