Beef prices rising fast here.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Packages of 4, locally-produced regular beef smokies climbed from 1.50 a smokie last week to 2.25 this week. Cheese-filled smokies are much higher.

I don't know where you'd even go to find a parsnip around here but that price seem exorbitant. Couldn't you just substitute some cheap carrots or rutabagas?

ga.prime":n8yr36ev said:
I don't know where you'd even go to find a parsnip around here but that price seem exorbitant. Couldn't you just substitute some cheap carrots or rutabagas?

X,2...and what is a smokie

fenceman":kohtdn3t said:
ga.prime":kohtdn3t said:

X,2...and what is a smokie

It's what we call smoked sausage up here.

Yeah, but is that in Canadian or American dollars? :secret:

You guys got any Labatt's Blue there? That's about all miss from living in Maine. We'd get good Canadian beer in the grocery stores. Here it's all Coor's Light and Bud Light.

Bestoutwest":3j9rcfs1 said:
Yeah, but is that in Canadian or American dollars? :secret:

You guys got any Labatt's Blue there? That's about all miss from living in Maine. We'd get good Canadian beer in the grocery stores. Here it's all Coor's Light and Bud Light.

You need to find a better store to buy your beer. I get Labatt's Blue in the smallish grocery store a mile from my house and I am not a lot closer to Canada than you are.

Labatt's, Molson, Alexander Keith and Moosehead are the main Canadian brands up here, along with all the American beers. Or at least I think that is right. Don't really pay attention as I'm a teetotaler. Best to ask one of the other Canucks.

About 45 years ago I got tore up on Hamm's beer camping in Cable, Wisconsin. My Pop tore my azz up, and I think it's still sore.

Stocker Steve":2b1oux5p said:
Aaron":2b1oux5p said:
and what is a smokie
It's what we call smoked sausage up here.
we call that a Polish[/quote]

Yep. Remember that as a kid. Had one during 4th of July celebrations. Thought maybe there was something special about it, to be called Polish. I was sadly mistaken.

Stocker Steve":2oclhgpb said:
we call that a Polish

Yep. Remember that as a kid. Had one during 4th of July celebrations. Thought maybe there was something special about it, to be called Polish. I was sadly mistaken.[/quote]

Toppings and beer are key. :cowboy:

Question for the Canadians. Do you call Canadian bacon Canadian bacon or is it just bacon?

Ned Jr.":3madhc1d said:
Question for the Canadians. Do you call Canadian bacon Canadian bacon or is it just bacon?

Bacon. Only Americans call it Canadian bacon and a quick check on Wikipedia confirms my assumption.

"Canadian bacon" is United States usage for a form of fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced. It is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat.

The term is not used in Canada where the term 'bacon' on its own generally refers to strip bacon from the belly meat of the pig."

I dislike rutabagas, parsnips are pretty darned tasty if they're fried in oil.. especially the ones we grow.

Beer... Well, the Labatts brewery in New Westminster shut down 10 years ago, I think they got bought up. Molson is the worst swill there is... If I'm drinking it it's because i've had too much to drink already and don't care anymore. Moosehead is one of my favourites, followed by Alexander Kieths IPA... I'm not a beer snob though, there's usually a case of Old Milwaukee around as well.

Nesikep":1pc9et8g said:
I dislike rutabagas, parsnips are pretty darned tasty if they're fried in oil.. especially the ones we grow.

Beer... Well, the Labatts brewery in New Westminster shut down 10 years ago, I think they got bought up. Molson is the worst swill there is... If I'm drinking it it's because i've had too much to drink already and don't care anymore. Moosehead is one of my favourites, followed by Alexander Kieths IPA... I'm not a beer snob though, there's usually a case of Old Milwaukee around as well.

Old Milwaukee! You are certainly not a beer snob. :lol2: in college we could get a 'dirty thirty' of Drummond Brothers for $4.00. And it was worth just exactly what we paid for it. I'm no snob either. :D

Latest posts