Beef-- live weight, hanging weight, etc, Q?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":3r58izcf said:
Anyone sell at just a flat, per head, price? I don't have a scale for live animals, and I'd prefer to have the money in hand prior to butchering -- as opposed to them paying for carcass weight.

I think it would depend on how well you know the people. I used to weigh the trailer on the way to the butcher and take an average weight. This was agreed on prior to my doing so by the buyers. Only problem with this was I didn't get paid until after they were delivered to the butcher but I never got stiffed.

I don't see why you couldn't estimate or get an average in this manner and put a price on them in the pen. I think most people enjoy picking their own calf out and its also interesting to see what they look for. ie color configuration, eye lashes, petability etc. :lol: I thoroughly enjoy this part the most.

Re:
So your 900lb steer dressed 540?
Yep. It says right here on the Keith's Butcher shop of Madisonville TN ticket "dressed weight 540" alright.
As for the live weight that was just my best guess using the SWAG system.

Is there a problem?
SL

woranch -- other considerations are that I'm headed back to school and the steers will be butchered while I'm gone, so I need to make things as simple as possible for my folks. Also, the butcher we use (I fed and butchered one last summer and he did a good job) will come out and slaughter on the property, so no transportation issues there.

So if I go by hanging weight, how much of the steer's price do I ask for prior to slaughter, since I wouldn't know exactly how much it would be? or do I just ask for a deposit and then get the rest after he's slaughtered?

WORANCH
Re:
Yep. It says right here on the Keith's Butcher shop of Madisonville TN ticket "dressed weight 540" alright.

Is there a problem I'm not seeing?

Re:
One more thing MM you have forgotten more about cattle than sir lion will ever know............
Why the personal cheap shot? You got a problem, spit it!
SL

milkmaid":1iyzvdig said:
woranch -- other considerations are that I'm headed back to school and the steers will be butchered while I'm gone, so I need to make things as simple as possible for my folks. Also, the butcher we use (I fed and butchered one last summer and he did a good job) will come out and slaughter on the property, so no transportation issues there.

So if I go by hanging weight, how much of the steer's price do I ask for prior to slaughter, since I wouldn't know exactly how much it would be? or do I just ask for a deposit and then get the rest after he's slaughtered?

Without weighing the calf your are going to cheat youself or your customer.

MM,
Re:
Most definitely not a big operation by any means.
Nothing wrong with that. We all have to start somewhere.
That's exactly how I started out many many years ago and they were purebred Holsteins steers.

Re:
1200-1250lbs at slaughter
That's a little high for me. I like them at no more then 1,000 and definitely less than 18 months old. Especially anything with Holstein in them.
SL

Sir Loin":243b22wx said:
Sir Loin wrote- That's a little high for me. I like them at no more then 1,000 and definitely less than 18 months old. Especially anything with Holstein in them.
SL

1,000lb Holsteins are just frame... have to be heavier to get any kind of decent cover on them.

I'm not an expert on this as I just finished selling my first. The person I sold to trusted us which helped. We were selling other steers to the market so I eyeballed him to another steer and what he sold for I presumed this other steer would go for. That set the steer price. You would probably have to get a scale and do it. Then I added on the bill costs for keeping the steer broken down to list each cost that went into him, this is where you include your profit for care. Have it all agreed to ahead of time. This amount can be collected before the steer is slaughtered but then you should also discuss what happens if the steer dies. Total refund of money? Partial refund? All things to go through with the buyer. Then you have all of your money, the rest is just the bill from the slaughter house. They can pay that when they pick up their meat and it is really simple for your parents.

Sir Loin":13bu9fgr said:
WORANCH
Re:

Is there a problem I'm not seeing?

Re:
One more thing MM you have forgotten more about cattle than sir lion will ever know............
Why the personal cheap shot? You got a problem, spit it!
SL

Your hanging weight my be 540 but you dressed weight or processed weight will be less due to trim and drying depending on how long it hangs.

MM
Re:
1,000lb Holsteins are just frame...
True! If not fed properly.
Re:
have to be heavier to get any kind of decent cover on them.
I disagree.
If properly fed a Holstein will have "decent cover" at 1,000 lbs.
That is, he will be as conditioned as he will ever get. And even then you will only have what someone can readily buy in any grocery store.
Hence your marketing problem.
Why would anyone invest in a freezer full of beef when they can buy equal or better quality beef weekly at the grocery store?
Did you see/read these from another thread?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... I3625.html
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/dairybeef.html

SL

WORANCH,
Re:
Your hanging weight my be 540
WRONG! Learn to read!
See my first post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 am where I consistently use the words "dressed weight" and that is what is also on my butcher ticket.
SL

Sir Loin":azukdbd2 said:
WORANCH,
Re:
WRONG! Learn to read!
See my first post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 am where I consistently use the words "dressed weight" because that is what is also on my butcher ticket.
SL

Ok WHAT WAS THE HANGING WEIGHT ???

Sir Loin":1tjob23s said:
Re:
I haven't got a clue.
And I don't know a butcher who uses "hanging weight" for billing purposes.
SL

Every custom butcher I've ever dealt with bills based on hanging weight, hot hanging weight at that!

Sir Loin":2l4zd7qq said:
Re:
I haven't got a clue.
And I don't know a butcher who uses "hanging weight" for billing purposes.
SL

I have never seen one that didn't. How else could they do it?

Every butcher I ever used has always gone off hanging weight. This is usually (if I remember right) 65-70% of hoof weight. After this you lose another 30% of this remaining weight on bone out and trimmings.

Here boys, maybe this will help educate you.
1.1 Definition. Meat can be defined as "the flesh of animals used for food". In the statistical language, meat is intended to be with bone-in, unless otherwise stated, and to exclude meat unfit for human consumption. From the term "meat" are to be excluded edible offals and slaughtered fats.
1.2 Concept of production. Data on meat production are usually reported according to one or more of the following concepts:
1.2.1 Live weight of animals intended for slaughter is the weight taken immediately before slaughter. It is assumed that animals intended for slaughter are kept in the slaughterhouse premises for 12 hours and are not fed or watered during this time.
1.2.2 Killed weight is the gross weight of the carcass including the hide or skin, head, feet and internal organs, but excluding the part of the blood which is not collected in the course of slaughter.
1.2.3 Dressed carcass weight is the weight of the carcass after removal of the parts indicated for each of the livestock species listed below: Cattle, Buffaloes, Horses, Mules, Asses, Camels;
• - the hide or skin
• - the head where it joins the spine
• - the fore feet at the knee joint, and the hind feet at the hock joint
• - the large blood vessels of the abdomen and thorax
• - the genito-urinary organs (other than the kidneys)
• - the offals (edible and inedible)
• - the tail
• - the slaughter fats other than kidney fats

Sir Loin":2pc183k0 said:
have to be heavier to get any kind of decent cover on them.
I disagree.
If properly fed a Holstein will have "decent cover" at 1,000 lbs.
That is, he will be as conditioned as he will ever get.

I'd disagree with that. Look at this calf and tell me this is decent cover. She's just under 1,000lbs and 12 months, had been fed grain at 2% of her body weight since weaning, and was "fed properly". A calf would have to have more cover before I'd butcher, and she can put on more condition -- this isn't "as much as she'll ever get".

telcey_12106.jpg

Sir Loin":2pc183k0 said:
And even then you will only have what someone can readily buy in any grocery store.
Hence your marketing problem.
Why would anyone invest in a freezer full of beef when they can buy equal or better quality beef weekly at the grocery store?
Did you see/read these from another thread?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... I3625.html
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/dairybeef.html

SL

Did you read the second article?

• the enclosed Agricultural Alternatives: Dairy-beef Production recommends feeding dairy calves a high-grain diet their entire lives and slaughtering at an early age of 12–14 months at 1150–1300 pounds.

Holstein steers are often marketed to feedlots at about 700–800 pounds, where they are finished on grain and slaughtered at around 1200 pounds Feedlots need to put at least 300 pounds on the animal in order to be profitable and therefore buy stockers between 700–1000 pounds. (5) However, Holsteins can be finished to a variety of weights (1200–1800 pounds).

Brings to mind the old adage "No one wins in an argument with a fool"

WORANCH":2fiuefqj said:
Sir Loin":2fiuefqj said:
WORANCH,
Re:
WRONG! Learn to read!
See my first post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 am where I consistently use the words "dressed weight" because that is what is also on my butcher ticket.
SL

What most people call the hanging weight the meat packing industry refers to as the dressed weight. IBP uses a hot carcass weight for the dressed weight when determing carcass yield. That seems to be the standard practice for the industry. So yes his hanging weight was the same as the dressed weight. 540#

Latest posts