Beef Check-off

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
If you are selling cattle out of the pasture (private treaty), are you required to pay the $1 beef check-off dues? If so, is it a dollar per head, or by weight, and where do you send the money?

Guess I am a little confused on this issue. I know the money is used to promote the beef industry, and I think that's a good thing. I just want to be sure we are incompliance with any laws regarding the beef check-off program.

The $1 dollar is sent to your state beef council. I have a copy of the form that the Ohio Beef Council uses for remittance. If you want I will try to scan it and send you a copy so you know what info you need. I pick up my copies at the Beef Expo each year.

Here is the form I use. Hope this helps. Hope you can read all the fine print as well. And I applaude you for looking into it. Some people just sweep the check-off under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.

1c0181bf.jpg
[/img]

Thanks for the info. I will look on the Texas Beef council site and see what they have as far as forms go.

For those people that "sweep the check-off under the rug", are there any penalties if caught selling cattle and not paying the $1 per head?

Do all sale barns assess the $1 per head? Should the buyer or seller pay? Just trying to see what other people do. I will probably pay the check-off for people who buy from us out of the pasture.

I pay the check-off for the animals I sell.
Our sale barn takes the $1 right off the top.
And I have no idea what the fine is for getting caught not paying the check-off dollar. Like I said in an earlier thread, it is pretty much on the honor system with private treaty sales.

Latest posts