Beef Brisket or Boston Butt?

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
Which one should I cook for July 4th? I am very partial to beef brisket, but most of my eaters will be pork lovers and beef brisket virgins. Should I impose the gospel of the hickory smoked beef brisket on them?

hooknline":eirjlx8h said:
Do both in hickory or pecan. Let them choose
I used to do them with pecan until I got married and my wife is allergic to pecan. That's what I get for marrying a Yankee, but I will breed pecan allergy resistance into our children.

I'd cook both. If you are going to invest that much time in a cook there's nothing wrong with leftovers with that menu.

slick4591":35lbenhp said:
If you were in Texas I'd say brisket, but I believe SC does a lot of pork, so that's my vote.
You would be surprised how many people 40something and younger in SC that have tried beef brisket that prefer it over pork. I have decided on cooking two beef brisket flats for thursday. I will post step by step pics starting tonight.

Post Oak":39owvej0 said:
slick4591":39owvej0 said:
If you were in Texas I'd say brisket, but I believe SC does a lot of pork, so that's my vote.
You would be surprised how many people 40something and younger in SC that have tried beef brisket that prefer it over pork. I have decided on cooking two beef brisket flats for thursday. I will post step by step pics starting tonight.
Great choice!! Look forward to your pictures!

Post Oak":3gw9kaw4 said:
slick4591":3gw9kaw4 said:

From my Texas prospective brisket is the best way to go, but I'll caution on using the flats. Even the pros don't always get those right.

slick4591":6ega9o0p said:
Post Oak":6ega9o0p said:
slick4591":6ega9o0p said:

From my Texas prospective brisket is the best way to go, but I'll caution on using the flats. Even the pros don't always get those right.
I love the points the best,but I had these two flats in the freezer. I buy 12 to 15 pound whole packer cuts from walmart and then take them home and seperate the point from the flat and then cut the point and flat in half so I can have a 4 manageable 3 pound or so pieces that will cook faster and be just enough meat for me,my wife, and my son to eat 2 meals off of it. The trick with the flat is to know when to foil it and take it off at the right time so it does not dry out.

s1316.photobucket.com/user/Jody_Beam/media/image_zpse3a59557.jpg.html]
image_zpse3a59557.jpg
[/URL]This is two flats soaking in a 24 hour marinade that consist of 50% Worcester sauce and 50% jalapeño pickle juice.

Post Oak":11pkmyhh said:
Which one should I cook for July 4th? I am very partial to beef brisket, but most of my eaters will be pork lovers and beef brisket virgins. Should I impose the gospel of the hickory smoked beef brisket on them?
Oh no brother Post Oak--you should impose the one true gospel of mesquite smoked beef brisket upon them. After that, your eaters will be instantly and miraculously converted to following the 11th commandment.
11. Thou shall smoke with mesquite and place no false and unthorned tree before it."
:D
apologies to Moses

I love mesquite to and we have them everywhere yet seems everybody out here prefes post oak of all things.

TexasBred":dcjfnt2q said:
I love mesquite to and we have them everywhere yet seems everybody out here prefes post oak of all things.
They should try it in swamp oak.

:shock: :yuck:

Latest posts