Beating a Dead Horse -- Hillcreek

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandon -
I concur with everything that you have written above! My point and purpose in my post was not offered in a contentious manner, but in an effort to stress the importance of NOT hiding one's 'talent' under a basket! It is all a matter of degrees and percentage, and I still contend that the greater number of people who are aware of YOU and what you have, the greater chance you have of marketing your products AND yourself. It is a long time process and certainly not a "get-rich-quick" scheme!

DOC HARRIS

If you ever hear me say that I paid $57000 for a cow, I will probably be saying it from a mental institution. This is a closely held secret, but the most I have ever paid for a registered angus cow was $800. We do not have "Donor" type cattle, but they get better and better every year. We are in for the long haul, I hope old Hill makes out with this cow, but I will tell you this, with an $800 cow, you can sell feeder calves out of her if you have to and still clear a few bucks. Hard to do with a $57000 cow. Good luck Hill.
:)

KMacGinley":1pddsnnk said:
If you ever hear me say that I paid $57000 for a cow, I will probably be saying it from a mental institution. This is a closely held secret, but the most I have ever paid for a registered angus cow was $800. We do not have "Donor" type cattle, but they get better and better every year. We are in for the long haul, I hope old Hill makes out with this cow, but I will tell you this, with an $800 cow, you can sell feeder calves out of her if you have to and still clear a few bucks. Hard to do with a $57000 cow. Good luck Hill.
:)

I did not say that you WOULD make money on your $57,000 cow; just that IF you DID purchase the $57000 cow that we would be confident that you at least....had a plan. Doc presented a plan......implementing that plan would be 'challenging' and is dependent on that donor's calves being well above average, but his plan (made in a ten minute internet posting) is probably better than Hill's (based on past plans).

I thought about and it probably is better to do it Hill's way and just go ahead and flush 50 embryos out of that one donor. Somebody who already had 50 Angus cows who did that though COULD be crying when his 50 ET calves didn't look or perform as good as the calves out of the 50 cows he already had!!!

Well,what I know is ifI bought something like that,the next morning it'd be lieing there,toes to the sky,and the wrong date would have been put on the insurance papers---anything I get,if it can go wrong,it will go wrong..I'm the one who buys high,then nobody wants it,ever.. :)

peg4x4":1nqm1bsi said:
Well,what I know is ifI bought something like that,the next morning it'd be lieing there,toes to the sky,and the wrong date would have been put on the insurance papers---anything I get,if it can go wrong,it will go wrong..I'm the one who buys high,then nobody wants it,ever.. :)

A woman inherited her parents property near me in West Alabama. She divorced her husband and got a big cash settlement when the assets were divided. She took the money and built a real nice 8 stall stable with a ~2100 square foot house attached to the back of it on her parent's timberland. The house/stable is surrounded by a very nice paddock seeded in bahiagrass. I was laughing when that was built; but if I was spending $57,000 a cow I would PROBABLY do the same thing. You can literally walk out of bed or the shower into the stable to check on your high dollar cows without leaving the building.

I am not trying to defend the purchase or criticize it . But I have seen in every monthly issue of the angus Journal and Angus topics were a single cow has brought alot more than 57000$. In fact I have seen 1/2 intrest bring 180,000$ just recently. It happens all the time, and I dont need a lecture on how this works , I have been to and sold a many of purebreed cows. Im am full aware about the pre arranged deals , but I do know alot of angus cattle do bring alot of money in these sales.I aint saying they can make money , Im just saying that it happens

It absolutely DOES happen. I have an ANgus sale catalog here:

lot 1 "The donor dam of this cow was a $100,000 feature of a past GAR sale to Three Trees Ranch"....."Maternal sisters highlighted the 2006 Three Trees Sale including a $70,000 feature to Bohi and a $54,000 feature to Rutherford Angus"

lot 2 "The donor dam of this female"......."sold to Mountain Meadow of Colorado as the $70,000 second top-selling cow of the 2004 Baldridge Sale"

lot 9 "A maternal sister was the $175,000 top-seller at the 2006 Express Sale."

lot 11 "maternal sisters include the $50,000 top-selling female at the Toebben Triple T dispersal"

It happens. I have read in sale catalogs, that there ARE cows who have a paper value of $400,000 (I will have to take their word on it). IF I had a paper value of $150 million++ I MIGHT own one (probably not, but anything is possible). IF you have a big bankroll too play with, spending a SMALL portion of it on expensive cows makes more sense to me than spending it on expensive cars, expensive paintings (there is a John Wayne tribute print I would get for the living room), expensive dogs (I might clone my beagle though), or expensive women. But in Hill's case, he is a 21 year old kid who is debating getting a job as a vet tech. This seems an awfully reckless move for such a young person.