Be Sure to Brand !

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
How many of you brand your cattle ? All of our beefmaster are,but some of cross breed are not. They will be this next weekend.
Moved some heifers this weekend. One got left behind unknowingly to us. I caught it about 3 the next afternoon. Went back to see what happened. With all the rain we've had . The only thing I can figure it loosen a couple of post on the creek side. And they found it before I did.
Anyway,the limo/beefmaster heifer got across on the other side and couldn't find her way back. I was calling her and she was answering me. But I couldn't cross there. We take off driving on the dirt road. I walk and I would call her. Still she answered me. Finally, this guy stopped and I asked who owns the land in front of us. He told me and said he lives on this land we were looking on. So we drive for awhile and found this man that owns it. Very nice man, he drove us all over the place looking for our heifer.It was getting close to dark and we still did not see her anywhere. So finally decided ok I was insane thinking it was one of his cows answering me when I called. We made our way aroud his pens heading to the front gates. There she was . Hubby was in the truck with him and I was following in our truck. Even when the hubby said there she is ,The man said where ? She was right in front of him.
This heifer did not have a brand,but she did have yellow tag # 15 and brucellosis tag. She also has an ear tattoo in her left
ear.
This man has 200 head of beefmasters. Not one had an ear tag and very few had a brand on them. She looked just like some of his heifers. Not sure if we would have got her back if she didn't have the ear tag. The man just kept staring at her,like we pull a fast one or something. He messed around a few minutes. Finally, I said would it be alright if I put her in the pen and move her. Well,I guess so ,he said.Ok so lets load and go.
This is a heifer, we hadn't really decided to keep or not. Thats one reason she didn't have a brand.Now my thinking is ,All of them will be branded whether I keep them or not.

do they dock on brands any in texas? i only brand my replacement's . but it aint hard to spot mine in the neighbor's pasture though. they stick out like al sharpton at a klan rally

What are the thoughts on Branding in states other than Texas. Don't think Missouri has branding registry, could be wrong.

Jon

Now that everybody seems to be headed toward a black cow herd, branding PROBABLY needs to be seriously looked at.

man i know when strange cows get in the pasture branded or not.i hope that guy doesnt have reg beefmasters.all the calves will be branded when they are weaned an worked.

hi, I posted this question in the beginners section, but I'm curious to know if banks (especially outwest) require that the cattle they loan money on be branded??? Any states were it is required?

thanks

i freeze brand replacements after they have been preg checked. everything has a tattoo at weaning

I know when a strange cow/calf wanders into our place.This is a lease we've had for 15yrs.too. This other lease we've just had for 1 yr. And we don't know all the neighbors yet. I am going to make a point to try and meet the rest of them.
We've had our brand for 32 yrs.You know I don't know if they dock for brands or not. I'll have to check into that too.
We don't brand everything. Some cross bred heifers and bulls we don't brand. They are going to the sale barn anyway. All,of our registered stock is branded.
As far as the bank goes. I don't know if they require you to brand your animals. I do know they want to come out and inspect everything you have. They write down all brands,tag id's,notches and any other marks they have.

travellingcattleman":3jsukx90 said:
hi, I posted this question in the beginners section, but I'm curious to know if banks (especially outwest) require that the cattle they loan money on be branded??? Any states were it is required?

thanks

Not in Texas that I am aware of. The bank tries to get me to take out a loan for something every time I go in.

backhoeboogie":1md2sn6b said:
travellingcattleman":1md2sn6b said:

thanks

Not in Texas that I am aware of. The bank tries to get me to take out a loan for something every time I go in.
We have never borrowed against our land or our cattle. I've just heard a couple of friends talk about what the bank wanted.
If our cattle can't pay for themselves and leave us alittle something. We are doing something wrong. Borrowing from the bank isn't going to fix it. That just creates another monthly bill.

Joy in Texas":2py96gfg said:
backhoeboogie":2py96gfg said:
travellingcattleman":2py96gfg said:

thanks

We have never borrowed against our land or our cattle. I've just heard a couple of friends talk about what the bank wanted.
If our cattle can't pay for themselves and leave us alittle something. We are doing something wrong. Borrowing from the bank isn't going to fix it. That just creates another monthly bill.

Oh I don't bite on it Joy. They just wish I would. Banks have to loan money to stay in business. I was bought out of a vested retirement program from my old company. It went into my IRA there. They see all that stuff when they pull up my accounts.

I'd never hock the farm, the house, or anything like that. I would consider a loan for a new piece of equipment if I could make money on it. Do the CPA loop hole thing where I buy it depreciate it on my personal and lease it back to the company etc. My grandson keeps me too busy right now to make any real money on the side so it is not even a consideration at this point.

We hot brand all our replacement heifers on the right hip. I read that they dock for brands on the ribs because it messes up that side of leather, which is in demand for leather car seats.

We have to brand to register the Brahman cattle. We also have a brand registered at the county, but we don't brand anything other than the Brahmans any more.

They do dock for branded cattle at the auction barn. I also know of producers that have "lost" branded cattle and never recovered them, so I don't see as it makes much difference.

MissouriExile":1gibqt64 said:
What are the thoughts on Branding in states other than Texas. Don't think Missouri has branding registry, could be wrong.

Jon

In Iowa, we have a brand registry, and there are a lot of brands registered we have one, but I've never seen any branded cattle around. We have our brand on our ear tags and we tattoo, but other than that anyone could just pull into any pasture and load and go. There's really no way you could find yours. Neighbor honesty is abour what it comes down to. I've been trying to get my wife on the branding train, but she's still not too hip to the idea. I might just have to do it in order to sway her opinion.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1j5brtgm said:
Very few if any people brand here in the east we tag.

Tags can be removed! Brands can't. Tags can get lost. Brands can't.
Of course if you are only running a few head tagging might be ok, but if I were feeding 60# per animal per day like you I would want every bit of protection possible. Brands. tags.rfid, and personal guards. :D

pappy1":10yq8sr1 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":10yq8sr1 said:
Very few if any people brand here in the east we tag.

Tags can be removed! Brands can't. Tags can get lost. Brands can't.
Of course if you are only running a few head tagging might be ok, but if I were feeding 60# per animal per day like you I would want every bit of protection possible. Brands. tags.rfid, and personal guards. :D
:D :D :D

Latest posts