Be careful, don't become a headline like this...

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Last weekend was opening day of pheasant season here in Iowa. A hunter north of Grinnell, close to Iowa City, was hunting with a group when they came to a fence. He laid his gun on the ground and was in the process of negotiating the fence when his dog stepped on the gun and shot the man in the leg. Last I heard he was at the U of I hospital being treated, but not life threatening. I wonder why his safety wasn't on and why he would lay his gun on the ground, and why he had it facing himself. Any way, be careful and use common sense out this season.

ArrowHBrand":3juobzbc said:
I wonder why his safety wasn't on and why he would lay his gun on the ground, and why he had it facing himself. Any way, be careful and use common sense out this season.
What kind of relationship did the dog and owner have? Did they talk to the dog to see what he had to say? ;-) You truly do need to be careful. I have two Jr High students that told me they were going to Iowa to pheasant hunt this week. That would scare me if I were from Iowa! They are both the kind of kid that can't afford to miss school! Hopefully they are safe hunters.

My brother's friend had the same thing happen to him. He lost his leg. Never was the same after that. Got pretty angry and mean.

Do you think the the hunter ever asked the dog if he wanted to take a shot?? I hope everyone stay's safe hunting.

There was a 52 yr old man found Sat when he didn't come in after the morning hunt slumped over a buck he was dragging out - apparently he had a heart attack, they will know for sure after the autopsy.

ArrowHBrand":2rk7bs8u said:
I wonder why his safety wasn't on.

That would be my first question too.

I have often heard someone missed a shot, "Because I had my gun on safety..." Heck, mine is always on safety. I have never forgotten to take it off of safety. It is just part of shooting. It is surprising at the number of folks who bird hunt with their guns off of safety.

It seems that every year you hear of someone shooting someone else by mistaking them for a deer.
Always know what you are shooting at. And, if you are in the woods wear lots of orange and sing a song. I have never heard of a deer wearing an orange coat and hat singing a song.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":9phhblsc said:
Knew a guy when I was a kid shot and killed his brother crossing a fence. They were also pheasant hunting.

I knew a guy who accidentlly shot and killed his brother when we were younger (maybe 14). He later (20+ years) went hunting with his dad and they never found the dad.

Jogeephus":1s3hbcfq said:
My brother's friend had the same thing happen to him. He lost his leg. Never was the same after that. Got pretty angry and mean.
Got a nasty attitude, would you say? :lol: That's understandable. Most accidents of this type would be avoided if everyone was taught and obeyed the first fundamental of gun handling: don't ever point a gun at anything that you don't want to kill.

When hunting with my shotgun I always walk or sit in the blind with my safety on. I keep my finger on the safety and when a pheasant gets up I push the safety off and shoulder the shotgun for the shot. I know a guy when he was in high school he and his dad were out deer hunting. They split up and were walking through the woods and a deer ran to the top of a hill. The son shot at the deer and missed. Needless to say his dad was on the other side of the hill and caught the slug in his leg. He bled to death. That would be tough to handle.

I remember a story from a few years back where a kid shot his dad in the back with a shotgun at really close range.. Somebody apparently yelled "Bird!" and the kid got a little too excited.. Witnesses said the dad apparently lived long enough to tell his son that it was OK, and that he wasn't mad at him.. :cry:

Heard of a guy slamming his truck door shut and killing himself, the gun in the gun rack went off.

Latest posts