BBU rule changes

Help Support CattleToday:

yes i went to the premier sale.the premier all sale ave was $1529 a hd.the lance johs herd ave was 26 hd $1659. heres a few high selling lots lot 7 bull $2500 bull lot 27 $2200. high selling pairs lot 9 pair $2000 lot 12 3 in 1 $2600 lot 43 pair $2000.bred heifers lot 28 $1900.open heifers lot 19 $1900 lot 34 $1800.lance johs herd all pairs lot 52 $2500 lot 57 $2500 lot 53 $2200 to a buddy of mine.the rest of the cows brought $1500 to $2000.open heifers lot 65 $2300 lot 69 $2000 sold to another guy i know lot 71 $1900.frenzle bid on an bought alot of cattle out of the sale.now for the lots i liked lot 9 $2000 lot 11 bred heifer $1700 lot 20 open heifer $1250 lot 23A $1300 lot 23B $1000.

bigbull338":obo2h9b4 said:
yes i went to the premier sale.the premier all sale ave was $1529 a hd.the lance johs herd ave was 26 hd $1659. heres a few high selling lots lot 7 bull $2500 bull lot 27 $2200. high selling pairs lot 9 pair $2000 lot 12 3 in 1 $2600 lot 43 pair $2000.bred heifers lot 28 $1900.open heifers lot 19 $1900 lot 34 $1800.lance johs herd all pairs lot 52 $2500 lot 57 $2500 lot 53 $2200 to a buddy of mine.the rest of the cows brought $1500 to $2000.open heifers lot 65 $2300 lot 69 $2000 sold to another guy i know lot 71 $1900.frenzle bid on an bought alot of cattle out of the sale.now for the lots i liked lot 9 $2000 lot 11 bred heifer $1700 lot 20 open heifer $1250 lot 23A $1300 lot 23B $1000.

Did you bring anything home?

no i came home empty because i spent the cow money on getting my teeth pulled an the upper plate.those last 5 lots i listed are the 1s id tryed to get.

RobertMac":1m5u4wr5 said:
EC, one of your old post got me back to CT...I did a search for "Ole Yeller" and your thread came up. How are your Ole Yeller and L-5502 genetics working for you?

As for the black Beefmasters, I dropped out of SEBBA when their focus turned toward the blacks. My program is based on L-5502, Ole Yeller, and my functional BBU cattle which most go back to Robert E Lee. I have some Casey Bull semen to introduce later...also have a few straws of Ole Yeller. When I'm ready, I'm going to send the Ole Yeller to Dale Lasater to make me some embryos. :D

I've got 2 cows who go back to Ole Yeller. They're both raising nice heifer calves. One of them got out of the pasture last year and was bred to my neighbor's Charolais bull, so she's got a crossbred calf. As my luck would have it, she got in his pasture again, and I haven't been able to get her out due to the heavy rains we've been getting, so she'll probably have another Charolais calf next year. The other combines Ole Yeller genetics with those of Lasater 513. She milks really well.. She's got a nice fall born heifer calf out of a Lasater 7615 (retired herdsire) son. I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance.

EC

RobertMac":27pdim5l said:
Doc, it's been a while since I had genetics, but it's my understanding that crossbreeding covers genetic flaws and linebreeding exposes genetic flaws so they can be eliminated. Crossbreeding should be for the commercial producer, not the "purebred" breeder.

These registries for crossbreds are to bring in money and eventually members by introducing them to the associations. I think their best value would be in connection with branded beef programs...like making CAB actually require Angus breeding! I think every breed association should have a branded beef program with producers/members owning the beef coming out of the processing plants.

RobertMac

I began to engage in a lengthy discourse in an attempt to verify my knowledge of Registered, Purebred, Crossbreeding, Linebreeding, and the purposes thereof, and decided that I would be preaching to the choir, so I quit!

I understand also, RobertMac.

My ONGOING point regarding same is: Utilize the absolutely HIGHEST QUALITY SEEDSTOCK for mating in acquiring Crossbred breeding herd animals. HOW? By seeking the HIGHEST QUALITY SEEDSTOCK by the process of ruthless selection protocols of PUREBRED SEEDSTOCK, paying close attention to ALL of the Genotypic, Phenotypic, Form Characteristics and Functional Traits which any specific breeder desires for his BREEDING HERD animals. HOW DID THEY GET TO THAT POINT OF PERFECTION? By ruthless culling practices and intelligent matings (undoubtedly resulting from a certain percentage of linebreeding agendas :nod:) and careful Genetic mapping!

NUTSHELL GEM: Breed the Best Purebred to the Best Purebred! If breeding Crossbred animals - Breed the Best Crossbred to the Best Crossbred! Anything less is unacceptable. . . .and now we have cycled BACK to "Animal Breeding 301". This GEM pertains to Purebred Registered Seedstock and to the breeding practices to acquire HIGHEST QUALITY CROSSBRED SEEDSTOCK, and also HIGHEST QUALITY TERMINAL (Feedlot) Animals for the retail meat counter trade. It makes money for the Breeder (producer) and it makes money for the Retail Marketer (Butcher). The above practices are mandatory for success. If a breeder is unwilling to extend himself to that extent - he should quit the BU$INE$$. It is that simple!

another GEM- Purebred animals may be Registered in a "Purebred Registry Herdbook." Crossbred animals may NOT be registered in a "Purebred Registry Herdbook." Crossbred animals MAY POSSIBLY be eligible for Registration in certain Registry Herdbooks.

End of GEMS!

DOC HARRIS

We're a 100% purebred, registered herd. No 1st or 2nd crosses, crossbred, or upgraded cattle here. We have L-5502, XCite, Ranger's Pride, King Cotton, Painted Tiger, Synergy, etc. etc. genetics in the mix.

We also have some blacks -- why? and where from?

First as to why? People in our area will pay more per CWT for a black hided animal that we choose not to register and sell for weight than they will pay for a red, dun, or paint -- plain and simple economics to give the customer what they want.

Now where from? A fellow 100% purebred breeder that utilized only Lasater foundation bulls and Lasater foundation cows raised a black bull and we bought him. His calves can be black, red, light red, and dun. His calves all maintain the same essentials of the Beefmaster breed for conformation, disposition, milking ability, fertility, weight, and absolutely on hardiness. We don't keep or discard any animal based upon hide color -- it's on performance criteria, with only 10% or less being sold as seedstock material (the best of the best only -- and dang it's hard to sell them sometimes when you want to keep them in your own herd).

Anyhow, what do we think of the program? We'll just have to wait and see.

Doc, I wasn't questioning your knowledge, I was looking for verification of what I stated...I apologize.

I agree with your 'gems'. I believe seedstock providers should obtain the best possible genetics, close or severely limit new genetics and select for functionally efficient traits under commercial conditions to adapt the herd to their environment. Like Davis, I follow Lasater's six essentials...disposition, fertility, weight, conformation, hardiness, and milk production on a 100% forage diet...no supplements...no minerals...no chemicals...no vaccinations. My herd has never been healthier...cattle are amazing creatures when we get out of the way and raise them the way God intended.

Production...I picked up the meat from the processor yesterday on a 28 month frame 3-4 bull. 926# carcass that yielded just over 65%(90% boneless). This bull would have improved 99% of the herds in the south, but no one wanted him because he was dun, horned, and eared. I admit he was the exception, not the rule. Most of my animal finish 24-28 months...700-750# carcass...60% yield.

My point is that if producers follow your gems, it would do far more for the industry than putting on a black hide!

Davis...something I'm not clear on...is this new program going to replace the old upgrading program? On thing I like about it is 31/32 to be 'purebred' instead of 7/8. The bull in the post above was 15/16...that's why I wouldn't use him in my herd.

I understand the black deal...packers are paying more for black to try to move producers to raise Angus and Angus influenced cattle to increase consistency and quality of beef. But, it isn't working that way because the last quality audit showed % prime and high-choice decreasing. When you pay for black hides, you get black hides!

bigbull338":2oit7xxk said:
yeah thats what im thinking.an unless i change my mind that cow will get a free ride to town with her calf at weaning time.
if she's a good cow.. id sell her too another producer. might fit in his program

she raised a crappy calf last year.an thats why i put her on the cull list this year.i looked at her this years calf an he looks tobe growing real good.she is a reg beefmaster cow.an if she goes to the sale she will go to the kill pen.

bigbull338":i56345ed said:
no i came home empty because i spent the cow money on getting my teeth pulled an the upper plate.those last 5 lots i listed are the 1s id tryed to get.
well your different then some here, theres no way they would let their ol worthless teeth interfere with buying a cow
:p

beleive me i was wanting to buy some cows.an when i really wanted 1 i sat on my hand.

Latest posts