Get Ready! Tenderness Will Rule!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Analytical Spectral Devices Announces Commercial Application for Beef Tenderness Testing

USDA-Developed Device Allows Processors to Add Value - and Charge More -
for Real-Time Meat Quality Prediction

BOULDER, Colo., Dec. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- The days of disappointed steak
lovers biting into expensive but tough steaks may be numbered. After
decades of research and testing, the U.S. Department of Agriculture
researchers at Clay Center, Nebraska have developed an advanced technology
to more accurately predict meat tenderness quality in real-time at the
processing plant.
In a joint development effort with analytical instrument manufacturer
Analytical Spectral Devices (ASD), USDA researchers led the way in
designing the QualitySpec(R) BT system, representing ground-breaking and
non-invasive technology that enables beef processors to predict meat's
tenderness before it hits the grocery store or restaurant. The system was
successfully installed at a major meat production facility earlier this
year, and has been in commercial production for several months.
The technology utilizes an ASD Vis/Near Infrared (NIR) instrument that
is integrated into the processing system. Beef producers can read the
ribeye at a cut between the 13th and 14th rib, and then more accurately
predict the overall tenderness of that carcass while still on the
processing line, thereby creating a new standard for beef quality
assurance.

The United States has been on a grading system based on the amount of
intramuscular fat, or marbling, of meat for several decades, but since
marbling explains only a small percentage of the variation in meat
tenderness, it is not a good predictor of meat tenderness.
QualitySpec(R)
BT technology allows processors to certify a carcass as tender well before
it arrives on consumers' tables.
ASD's QualitySpec(R) instrument -- which measures properties in food
such as fat, protein and moisture -- can thoroughly and non-invasively
assess the content of a particular item using NIR technology. By holding
the ASD spectrometer up to a piece of meat for only a few seconds, beef
processors can certify that what they sell will be guaranteed tender, even
after the aging process -- usually around 14 days.

"Right now, neither Select nor Choice cuts of beef can be guaranteed
tender," said ASD's Director of Business Development Michael Lands. "From
extensive USDA research, tenderness is the most sought-after guarantee for
all levels of the meat industry's sales cycle, and surveys show that
consumers are willing to pay a premium for meat that is guaranteed tender.
The processor now has a real-time indicator of the value of the product so
they can determine how to brand and price it. QualitySpec(R) guaranteed
tender meat will allow retailers to differentiate themselves with higher
standards, and let consumers know that they're spending their money wisely
on a guaranteed tender piece of meat."

About ASD
Based in Boulder and with customers around the world, ASD provides the
most reliable, high-performance analytical instrumentation solutions to
industrial professionals, analytical researchers, and remote sensing
scientists. In collaboration with our customers since 1990, our
applications support team remains unsurpassed in solving the world's most
challenging materials measurement problems.
For more information, please contact Amanda Griffin, ASD Marketing
Communications Manager, 5335 Sterling Dr., Suite A, Boulder, CO, 80301;
303/444-6522, 303/444-6825 (fax); [email protected]; http://www.asdi.com.

I'm wondering if they use this device before hanging the
carcass in the cooler, i.e. pre-aging? Or, it probably is
the case that the commercial people don't dry-age at all.

In my little world of sire selction for tenderness, tests after the fact unless they're part of the carcass data I get back are pretty useless.
Rahter then all ofthe dithering around with trying to find genes/molecules or whatever, how about a simple EPD dor sheaqr force? Simmenthal do it and I've found it to be accurate. When I bite into a piece of meat and evaluate tenderness I'm not concerned about teh light or infrared or whatever, I'm concerned about how easy my teeth sink into it.

dun

dun":2t05uv17 said:
In my little world of sire selction for tenderness, tests after the fact unless they're part of the carcass data I get back are pretty useless.
dun
Agreed. Ultrasound sorting for tenderness is a better tool for the producer.

Shorthornguy":27cwlwnk said:
:D :?: Will we get paid more for tenderness or will the retailer just charge more??????

If there is increased competition for "Tender" cattle among buyers/packers, we will get paid more.

Those buyers and or retailers cannot charge more than the public/consumer will pay.

They can either "Sell it or Smell it".

ollie'":1pskabtg said:
dun":1pskabtg said:
dun
Agreed. Ultrasound sorting for tenderness is a better tool for the producer.

I guess I'm more mechanically inclined. But I still wqant to get back the data from the carcass. We only eat one steer a year so it's hard to evaluate how calves sired by differrent bulls work out. I would in some ways think that it's like a lot of other things when it comes to quality. Bull A mated to cow A & B have good tenderness but mated to cow C it doesn;t. But bull B mated to C is really tneder and less so with cows A & B. Or maybe I'm trying to make it all to complicated. I know the bull that we'll eat calves out of in the future.

dun

Ultrasound is a good tool. However, we have had substantially
different results on the same animal scanned by two
different(very experienced) operators within a 5 day
period, i.e. not long enough to really make the difference
they came up with(on IMF)

I've used the same tech for years and his work is repeatable . He can scan (and has) the same animal 2 or 3 different times weeks or months apart and their imf has increased or decreased as it should have each time. If you're sending the data to be read by a lab, there should be very little difference.

ollie'":14njtg8d said:
I've used the same tech for years and his work is repeatable . He can scan (and has) the same animal 2 or 3 different times weeks or months apart and their imf has increased or decreased as it should have each time. If you're sending the data to be read by a lab, there should be very little difference.

I was talking tenderness no just IMF. I've eaten and I'm sure others have to, high select that was more tender then some high choice.

dun

Nolan Ryan beef is guaranteed tender. I wonder what their sales are? IMO, tenderness is important; but not the only important component of a cut of beef. I especially like juicy steaks. Juicy is marbling. The flavor of meat is carried in the fat. What does chicken taste like? Not the chicken momma raised, because they've made them so lean. Same with some pork. Higher quality grade beef is less likely to be tough than lower quality grade beef. Until they get those tenderness genes sorted out, I'll continue to include the IMF EPD in my sire selection.

Frankie":1j7am3e8 said:
Nolan Ryan beef is guaranteed tender. I wonder what their sales are? IMO, tenderness is important; but not the only important component of a cut of beef. I especially like juicy steaks. Juicy is marbling. The flavor of meat is carried in the fat. What does chicken taste like? Not the chicken momma raised, because they've made them so lean. Same with some pork. Higher quality grade beef is less likely to be tough than lower quality grade beef. Until they get those tenderness genes sorted out, I'll continue to include the IMF EPD in my sire selection.

I somewhat disagree. The "Tenderloin" or "Filet Mignon" is the most highly prized and priced cut of beef. Why? Because it's always tender........ not because it marbled. No matter what the quality grade, it's most always the same. In fact, it has no marbling at all. That's what the bacon is for.

Frankie":963qnc5r said:
Until they get those tenderness genes sorted out, I'll continue to include the IMF EPD in my sire selection.

As a consumer, I thank you for that. Nobody wants a steak you have to cut with a hacksaw, but I'll take juicy and tasty over tender any time. I've had a couple of "lean and tender" steaks before, and I might as well have been eating cottage cheese. Not saying that is the norm, and I realize everyone has different tastes, but that was my experience. Those who raise tasty, juicy, and tender beef should be well rewarded, IMO.

MikeC":2euhv29j said:
Frankie":2euhv29j said:

I somewhat disagree. The "Tenderloin" or "Filet Mignon" is the most highly prized and priced cut of beef. Why? Because it's always tender........ not because it marbled. No matter what the quality grade, it's most always the same. In fact, it has no marbling at all. That's what the bacon is for.

"Somewhat disagree". Hey, I'm making progress. :) The filet mignons I've had were wrapped in bacon. Why? We wound up with an entire tenderloin once time and some of it went to the dog. At first, we really enjoyed it, but after a couple of meals, we realized it wasn't as good as a good marbled ribeye. And after that, it was hard getting anyone interested in eating it. It was tender, but had very little taste.

Understand that I'm not knocking tenderness or a maketing program using tenderness as a selling point. I think whatever the consumer wants should be available for them. If they can't buy beef to suit them, they'll go to the chicken section.

You can have tender and well marbled. I think you're both right, or better yet, wrong. ;-)

We wound up with an entire tenderloin once time and some of it went to the dog.

Just looked at the beef cut out prices for yesterday, Dec 15.

Tenderloin was priced at double that of ribeyes. Looks like SOMEBODY likes it. :lol:

There is NOBODY that doesn't eat the small side of the T-Bone/Porterhouse! :p

Mike, I actually don't like the small side. I give it to my wife as she doesn't like the extra fat in the big side. So it works out great for the 2 of us.

I personally would rather have a good marbled steak that is a little tougher - over a dry, tender one. I like the taste of beef, not shoe leather! :lol: But if I could have both, I wouldn't turn it down. In fact I just had a ribeye a few minutes ago that was both, and it was awesome.

Latest posts