Baytrill vs. Micotin

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Which would you recommend for respiratory problems? I've used Micotin and I can verify that it works very well. But I've always bought it by the dose from a fellow cattleman. I want to buy some to have on hand so that I don't have to go searching at an inoportune time (Sunday afternoon for instance.) Given the riskiness of using Micotin, would you rate using Baytrill as a more desirable alternative? I can get either from my vet. For those of you who have used both, would you rate Baytrill as being as effective as Micotin? I only need it once or twice a year, but when you need it, you got to have it.

Between the two choices I would use baytril. Only because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I myself prefer nuflor and use it for respitory and scour problems.

I've never used Baytril or Nuflor because the Micotil has always done everything I expected of it. And in some cases it's performed miracles that I didn't really expect. I wouldn't be without it at my place. Ever!

If you want to go through life being scared of everything, you may as well get out of the cattle business now. Just stay at home in bed all the time with your head covered up. It's a helluva lot more dangerous driving to the vet's to get the stuff than it is using it.

I've seen Baytril work when Nuflor would'nt especially with respiratory problems, pneumonia.We had a bull that would not respond to Nuflor, but when given Baytril, he made a full recovery from pneumonia.It was touch and go for a while. made me a beleiver, our vet said he felt there was some resistance to Nuflor.

I keep both on hand also. There are some pnuemonias that respond better to one than the other. The good thing is you usually get a good response right away, so if it doesn't seem to be working, you can use the other.

I've also used Nuflor, but the rehydrating and having to throw out the unused portion is a pain.

Sorry for misspelling the two drugs I was questioning about. The correct spellings are Micotil and Baytril, both registered trademarks. Didn't take time to edit original post 'cause I was being called to supper.

It's good to read these real experiences. Like Texan, I've seen Micotil bring a calf back from the brink of death. The vet told me that the Micotil was pneumonia specific, and the Baytril was more broad spectrum(as Big D pointed out) and would be called for if a calf had a scours-pneumonia complex. I think I'll do like TheBullLady and get a bottle of each. With weaned calves selling for $600-$700 and more, I don't think I can afford not to.

I get alot of calves out of sale barns and respertory problems are common in this area so I also keep both on hand but usually use the micotil first if no response then nuflor or recover,I also give a shot of bannimine along with micotil or recover. also have a good recipe for a home made brew feedlot guys use called red medicine

Hey BullLady. Is that nuflor you have been using or are you thinking of Naxcel? I've never heard of mixing or rehydrating nuflor.

I can't even get my hands on Baytril or Nuflor.Around here the only way you can get it is if the Vet had previously treated one of your cattle, and you can go to the office, and they;ll sell you a little more for that animal.Is there a way around this?

Crowderfarms":29t9s89q said:
I can't even get my hands on Baytril or Nuflor.Around here the only way you can get it is if the Vet had previously treated one of your cattle, and you can go to the office, and they;ll sell you a little more for that animal.Is there a way around this?

It's all up to the vet and their policys. Legally you have to have a perscription from a vet to get the stuff. Depending on the relationship with the vet and the vets policy you may be able to get it from another source or buy a bottle from him/her/it. There is a vet that runs a feed store/backgrounding facility and all you need to do is go over and buy it. But he's the only one that sells the stuff by the bottle in this area.

dun

I maybe should have included that our vet sells us whatever we need by the bottle, but he knows us and our herd. I just tell them what I need or ask him what he thinks I should use and I can buy it by the shot or by the bottle. He does that with a number of his clients, to hers it's strictly by the shot or he wants to see the animal.
Circumstances and relationships can frequently dictate what is done.

dun

Our Vet knows us as well. but getting a bottle is darn near impossible, for some reason they won't give you more than a syringe full.And like I said before, it would be for an animal they had treated recently.Guess it has to do with $ and no sense.They want to charge you that farm visit.

That may indeed be true, but it also may be that the vet knows you get stuff from someone else, or doesn't call until it's too late, or.....

To me it sounds like you don't have a good relationship.

V

Vicky, we have some good vets around here.A couple of the best wont do cattle anymore, they prefer dogs and cats,The closest one to us that does cattle is a real Butt Head.I'm one of many that feel that way, he's a seasoned vet, but is ultra conservative withe the dispension of meds.We've been starting to work with another vet, bedside manner is much better, and more professional, I'm going to call him today, and see if I can get some Baytril, just to keep on hand for an emergency.

Texan":1jun4ucl said:
I've never used Baytril or Nuflor because the Micotil has always done everything I expected of it. And in some cases it's performed miracles that I didn't really expect. I wouldn't be without it at my place. Ever!

Add my vote to the Micotil users list. Texan summed it up for my place too.

my vet says these medicenes... nuflor, baytril, micotil... will work like sinus medicenes on us... what works on you might not do as well on me... and so it is with cattle and these medicenes... one might work better on a particular calf than another..

i find that micotil works best for larger animals, and i like nuflor on calves.. but i imagine they all will work... if one doesnt work on a particular animal... try a differnent one.

jt

Hey Trapper, would love to know the ingredients to that magic mix yr talking about, could it be a polymix solution?, thats the only ones that I know of that are either pink or red.

As for getting only single doses of meds for your animals, thats one way to get a good mark-up for the meds that the vet has in his or her possesion. And some use it to pay for meds that may have short shelf life. Often I have found that one or two 'pulls' from a bottle pays for the whole thing in bulk.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the practice, as most vets have high overhead, and other expenses that have to be figured into the cost of doing the business that they do. they are often miracle workers, but cannot do it without reasonable payback.
I just know that when you are trying to keep a herd of livestock healthy or treated for something, it can get mighty expensive on a dose to dose basis.

As for getting proper meds for your cattle in bulk, I may be able to help....(this is not an advertizement) feel free to PM me if you like and I can explain a bit better.