Barn Layouts

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone's got a picture or a representation of their barn layouts? Preferably one with stalls? Just trying to get some ideas in advance before we start building/revamping one. Here's an idea I have. I don't really have measurements yet...except for the stalls which would be roughly 16 x 8 or 18 x 6. Keep in mind, this barn would be just for a small herd of show cattle. I'm thinking of having just six stalls.

BARN:
barn_layout.jpg

STALLS:
stalls.jpg

All input is much appreciated!

Btw, the little triangle things are my cheap imitations of door symbols.

I didn't do no picture but I like a barn (if it has stalls) to have the stalls on the outer sides. They can be entered from the outside. In the middle there is a wide enough passage for a truck or tractor. You can also enter/exit the stalls from this center passage. Just my thoughts.

Like Flaboy I would have access to the outside from each stall.
It's easier for me to get the cows to "hit" a hole in a corner.
So I moved the door from corral to the barn and rehinged the
gate for the first pen in. This would allow you to use the pen and have access to the corral at the same time?
barn_layout.jpg

Last year I saw a steel barn that was very impressive. The man had tube steel girders at 2 feet and 4 feet completely surounding the barn, on the inside of his columns. It seems the tube steel was 1 1/2 inch by 4 inch. He took panels and welded 1 1/2 inch by 3inch angle clips on the ends such that he could lift them with his tractor front bucket and drop the angle over the tube steel girders on the end, anywhere in the barn. Of course the other end of the panels had eyes and drop pins just like standard pen panels do. Essentially, he could rig any stall configuration he wanted, or he could completely remove everything in a matter of minutes. That is an awesome feature if you want to scrape a barn and hose it out. All of his panels were home made out of tube steel with wire panels welded to them. Some had gates and some didn't. He took scrap tube steel members, cut them 4 inches long or so and welded two of them to the top of each panel. They were his lifing eyes and spaced identical on each panel which kept his chain length on his tractor bucket the same with each one he moved. He could also use those panels out in the fields to rig corrals if need be, chutes and all. No matter what type of operation he changes too, anything can be adpated. He can keep a very clean operation going as well very simplistically.

My barn will be very similar to that when the time comes for the next one.

Edit: I'll ask him if I can take a picture next time I am there and post it in this forum. I didn't know of this forum back then. I don't think he'd mind at all.

backhoeboogie":1svclaty said:
Last year I saw a steel barn that was very impressive. The man had tube steel girders at 2 feet and 4 feet completely surounding the barn, on the inside of his columns. It seems the tube steel was 1 1/2 inch by 4 inch. He took panels and welded 1 1/2 inch by 3inch angle clips on the ends such that he could lift them with his tractor front bucket and drop the angle over the tube steel girders on the end, anywhere in the barn. Of course the other end of the panels had eyes and drop pins just like standard pen panels do. Essentially, he could rig any stall configuration he wanted, or he could completely remove everything in a matter of minutes. That is an awesome feature if you want to scrape a barn and hose it out. All of his panels were home made out of tube steel with wire panels welded to them. Some had gates and some didn't. He took scrap tube steel members, cut them 4 inches long or so and welded two of them to the top of each panel. They were his lifing eyes and spaced identical on each panel which kept his chain length on his tractor bucket the same with each one he moved. He could also use those panels out in the fields to rig corrals if need be, chutes and all. No matter what type of operation he changes too, anything can be adpated. He can keep a very clean operation going as well very simplistically.

My barn will be very similar to that when the time comes for the next one.

Edit: I'll ask him if I can take a picture next time I am there and post it in this forum. I didn't know of this forum back then. I don't think he'd mind at all.

Yes, pictures please!

Alright. Thanks for the helpful replies. I edited my original picture to have the stalls on the outside. How does this layout look?
barn_layout2.gif

Also, what are y'alls pens made out of? Not necessarily working pens...more like stalls that I'd keep the show calves in all day.

backhoeboogie":16gn2uoh said:
This sounds very interesting. I definitely want to see a pic of it. Thanks. :)
CattleAnnie":16gn2uoh said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------Here's a blueprint for a calving barn that might be of interest.

It's pdf format, so may be slow opening depending on your internet connection.

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/plans/ ... /1303P.pdf

Take care.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Latest posts