Barn goat?

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
We bought a new property last September and are just finishing up our house build. We quickly acquired two ducks. Domesticated, left someone's farm I suppose and now they are ours.

Well...now the same thing has happened with a goat! Still holding onto the hope someone comes and claims this little fella.

He spent the night in my chicken coop. I guess today I'll build him a pen....

Now you need to get another one so he will have some company. Welcome to the goat business. :D

Not even kidding another one showed up. Well...I found it on the road. So now I do have a pair. Male and female at that!

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
callmefence said:
I know some guys that'll buy that goat....

I don't think she wants to sell them for that purpose :lol: . Up here they call it a "goat wobble"

I don't know what y'all do with goats in Tennessee but I've got a guess.
Get your mind out of the gutter! :tiphat:

I posted lost goats on the local community boards online. Out of 10 replies 9 suggested I eat them. I'll call them "lost" and "found". These two are obviously intended to be some breeding pair of some sort that go out. Our farm is in the middle of a suburban neighborhood it's just odd haha. But, this is a sign. I was meant to breed goats....

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:
I don't think she wants to sell them for that purpose :lol: . Up here they call it a "goat wobble"

I don't know what y'all do with goats in Tennessee but I've got a guess.
Get your mind out of the gutter! :tiphat:

Get your mind out of the gutter. I figured y'all BBQ em with that nasty bbg sauce you use.
Apparently your thinkin of a" nanny slammin"

cowgal604 said:
I posted lost goats on the local community boards online. Out of 10 replies 9 suggested I eat them. I'll call them "lost" and "found". These two are obviously intended to be some breeding pair of some sort that go out. Our farm is in the middle of a suburban neighborhood it's just odd haha. But, this is a sign. I was meant to breed goats....

Dont worry, you wont need to do much. The saying about rabbits should apply to goats.

You will likely wish they would walk off again later down the track after they do a few things, eat some stuff you thought was safe, stand on your fences, climb on your car etc etc

greggy said:
cowgal604 said:

Dont worry, you wont need to do much. The saying about rabbits should apply to goats.

You will likely wish they would walk off again later down the track after they do a few things, eat some stuff you thought was safe, stand on your fences, climb on your car etc etc

Not to mention that screaming they do.

I'm not sure what happened here with these goats...

I went door to door trying to figure out who they belong to and no one.

Did they escape on their way somewhere in transport?

Did someone ditch them at my gate hoping I'd take care of them?

I dunno...

But I've been googling goat care. I've never owned a goat or planned on it. Not even sure how to feed these guys. The male is also intact and the female is small. Looks to be maybe a 2 month old. Are they ok together? Will he breed her? Oh man....

And what do I have here? Pygmy goats?

I have had a couple of different breeds, but there is literally many breeds, like cattle, but much more colour variety.....

Goats are ruminants, like sheep and similar too cattle, but are also strong browsers, the video may be funny, but goats like to climb, that tree full of goats is not fake, although most domestic ones wont be trying to climb high into trees, but you better believe they will climb your car, or anything else that is around, and often that means fencing..... corners of fencing with a 45 degree brace is an invitation to go walk about :)

Anyways, I would be less worried about escape with only 2, just make sure you do not leave or let into house yard or where your nice cars are.

Re feed, sheep and goats are sensitive too too much copper, so you cannot feed them everything that your cattle eat in regard to made up pellets, as far as grasses, novel feeds, hays, grains, they can have the same, just remember with grain etc the rumen is much much c\smaller, so you cannot let them have at it with those concentrated feeds, lock it up well... hays and pasture, no drama, give them your food scraps minus any meats, just look at what is bad for any ruminant & keep that away.

They survive fantastically in bush or wild areas, so are pretty hardy.

Also, they can eat weeds & their system is actually able to kill those seeds, so they do not spread them around your property, like blackberry....

greggy said:
I have had a couple of different breeds, but there is literally many breeds, like cattle, but much more colour variety.....

Goats are ruminants, like sheep and similar too cattle, but are also strong browsers, the video may be funny, but goats like to climb, that tree full of goats is not fake, although most domestic ones wont be trying to climb high into trees, but you better believe they will climb your car, or anything else that is around, and often that means fencing..... corners of fencing with a 45 degree brace is an invitation to go walk about :)

Anyways, I would be less worried about escape with only 2, just make sure you do not leave or let into house yard or where your nice cars are.

Re feed, sheep and goats are sensitive too too much copper, so you cannot feed them everything that your cattle eat in regard to made up pellets, as far as grasses, novel feeds, hays, grains, they can have the same, just remember with grain etc the rumen is much much c\smaller, so you cannot let them have at it with those concentrated feeds, lock it up well... hays and pasture, no drama, give them your food scraps minus any meats, just look at what is bad for any ruminant & keep that away.

Also, they can eat weeds & their system is actually able to kill those seeds, so they do not spread them around your property, like blackberry....
Actually, in regards to feed/minerals, goats NEED copper-lots of it, in amounts that kill sheep. They can be effectively dry-lotted, but do need access to stemmy, vitamin B heavy forage. High quality alfalfa works well. As far as feed goes, a beginner is wise to start with a complete pellet designed for goats. If they have access to forage, really only lactating does and kids need grain/feed.

And yes, that buck can breed when he is as young as 2 months old! We breed our boer does when they are 12-14 months old. For the most part, you want a doe to be at least 1 year before breeding and kid out at 2 years old. I wouldn't leave your pair together at this point!

Boot Jack Bulls said:
greggy said:

Actually, in regards to feed/minerals, goats NEED copper-lots of it, in amounts that kill sheep. They can be effectively dry-lotted, but do need access to stemmy, vitamin B heavy forage. High quality alfalfa works well. As far as feed goes, a beginner is wise to start with a complete pellet designed for goats. If they have access to forage, really only lactating does and kids need grain/feed.

And yes, that buck can breed when he is as young as 2 months old! We breed our boer does when they are 12-14 months old. For the most part, you want a doe to be at least 1 year before breeding and kid out at 2 years old. I wouldn't leave your pair together at this point!

Oh man! You're saying I have to separate these two! I really don't have the set up for this haha. I had to convert the back half of one of my chicken coops.

Tomorrow I will head to the feed store to get them some mineral and better pellets. Right now I am just feeding them the stuff I had from my last sheep herd. I have a ton of grass and such. Their entire outdoor pen is full of grass and shrubs etc.

They are also really not tame. I am going to need some tips on how to make them come around... :help:

Also. Any idea by looking at the picture how old that little female is? She is the littler one with the black face and white body in my prior reply. She has horns but they aren't that long.

Think its best for me to just take the balls of the male?

Band him asap, but beware he is still able to get the job done, so to speak, with a band on for several days. Also be aware that once you whether him, you will have to be more mindful of his diet for the rest of his life. His entire nutritional intake should be balanced to ensure his ratio of phosphorus to calcium is at least 2:1, if not 4:1 to prevent urinary calculi. It can be done easily, but you need to do a bit of research to make sure your feed/forage balance correctly. If he gets UC, it will at the very least, cost some vet bills and at the very worst kill him.

As for the doe, I'd bet she is a pygmy and a few months old based on horn growth. Be aware, if she is full pygmy, she won't get much bigger in stature. The buckling looks to be a Nigerian Dwarf cross and at least a year old based on horn growth...

Latest posts