Barbed wire-which brand/style?

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
I have a pretty good fencing project coming up in the next year. I will be putting up a 4 strand that will be right at 1 mile. I am curious on opinions on the best brand if wire, gauge, points and your experience/preference. I am just wanting see what others use as I tend to develop "tunnel vision" on products.

Bekeart 14ga or 15.5 ga HT is about all I've used for the last few years.
Some people can handle HT...some are skeered of it and cannot.

greybeard":2c7k60az said:
Bekeart 14ga or 15.5 ga HT is about all I've used for the last few years.
Some people can handle HT...some are skeered of it and cannot.

I agree, and you might as well get the 4-barb. I don't know about your area, but at the local hardware store where I buy mine it's only $1.00 more expensive per roll than the 2-barb. I would like to add that I keep a roll of the soft barbed wire for patching fence, but I use the high tensile for new fence projects.

Same here, Gaucho (Bekeart) is what I can find easily around here. I've tried others, but the 15.5 gauge HT is what I like the best so far. I'd still like to try some Tornado wire, but haven't had a decent fence project for a couple years to justify ordering some.

I've used the gaucho 15.5 gauge 4 point and it's garbage as far as im concerned. I dunno if was High Tensile or not, but whatever i bought I have to patch on it about once a month.

willow bottom":135kfcy5 said:
I've used the gaucho 15.5 gauge 4 point and it's garbage as far as im concerned. I dunno if was High Tensile or not, but whatever i bought I have to patch on it about once a month.
What exactly is happening that causes the need to patch it?

M.Magis":g5xa3fsw said:
willow bottom":g5xa3fsw said:
What exactly is happening that causes the need to patch it?

It Breaks. Strands break. cows pushing on it, leaning on it or whatever other reason that would cause strands to break. My other section of fence is 12.5g red brand and I never have a problem with it.

callmefence":3jaanpjy said:
Heck salt .... you know fenceman right?
He'll fix you up on wire,post and pipe... along with a loaner shaver.. 8)

Did you get my text the other day? It may not have went through.

I've had oak trees fall on Gaucho and it not break.
Had several billion tons of water and lawd knows how much forest debris run into Gaucho and it leaned the whole fence over along with the teeposts but when the water receded, the wire was still there unbroken.

greybeard":nor2nba5 said:
Had several billion tons of water and lawd knows how much forest debris run into Gaucho and it leaned the whole fence over along with the teeposts but when the water receded, the wire was still there unbroken.

If you let that happen a few more times, you will have a solid barrier and won't need a fence. :lol2:

sstterry":2r6zbej6 said:
If you let that happen a few more times, you will have a solid barrier and won't need a fence. :lol2:
'let' ?
Weell, I wasn't exactly asked and really had no say in the matter whatsoever...

greybeard":ok56hboa said:

Impressive. I wish I could say I've had the same results with it. Sure is easier on the wallet

IMO the 12.5 gauge is good put near impossible to keep tight, 15.5 gauge ht is my favorite and 18 gauge is good for electric barbwire, but it breaks constantly if you pull it tight

The arrow in the last picture was for another thread. It's pointing to a range meal feeder that holds 20 sacks of meal. Feeder floated or was driven into the fence along with everything else.

greybeard":3n7ju6gq said:
The arrow in the last picture was for another thread. It's pointing to a range meal feeder that holds 20 sacks of meal. Feeder floated or was driven into the fence along with everything else.
I was going to ask about that

I have come to the conclusion that barbs is almost useless except for ruining my clothes and making me bleed profusely....cows lean on it hard as they want and I see those barbs just digging right into em and it don't seem to bother em a bit....im gonna start buying barbless in the heavy gaucho next

dieselbeef":3kqcrea9 said:
I have come to the conclusion that barbs is almost useless except for ruining my clothes and making me bleed profusely....cows lean on it hard as they want and I see those barbs just digging right into em and it don't seem to bother em a bit....im gonna start buying barbless in the heavy gaucho next
If I had it all to do over, I would run nothing but barbless HT. I'd probably have to run more strands & closer together, but since even the cheap 12.5ga barbless HT at TSC is $99.50 for 4000ft, it would work out ok

Latest posts