Barbed wire crimping systems

Help Support CattleToday:

Yearling

Reaction score
Hello all.

Could anyone relate their experiences with barbed wire crimpers? Do they work well? Will they hold when the fence is stretched?

Do they use the same size crimp sleeves? Is one brand better than another?

Please feel free to describe anything you feel is important. I'm ready to learn.

Thanks,
Yearling

You asked about using a texas fence fixer in another thread and the splices not holding
If you make tight wraps like pictured below on each wire before twisting in the middle and use twisted slick wire( just like barbed wire less the barbs they'll hold)

I use the crimp sleeves and have had good luck with them. I prefer the short ones with some kind of grit in the tube for high tensil on barb wire The seem to crimp easier and hold better. Just make sure you get the size for your wire. the crimps make a quick fix that stays tight. I pull the wire tight so I have about 2 inches on each wire sticking thru the tube and fold the 2 end back when it is crimped. I use a pair of bolt cutters the I files the jaws down flat so the have a 1/8" gap.

I tried them on a patch. It was on someone else's property and they brought them to me while I was patching a car wrecked fence of theirs. The wire broke. The wire was not old. It left me gun shy.

Shanghai said:
You asked about using a texas fence fixer in another thread and the splices not holding
If you make tight wraps like pictured below on each wire before twisting in the middle and use twisted slick wire( just like barbed wire less the barbs they'll hold)

Thanks, Shanghai. Is that the trade name for that wire, twisted slick wire? Is it readily available ? Do you have to do the number of wraps shown?

Shanghai":3abts8uz said:

Another question. The hole in the middle seems tighter than mine. I use the handle of fencing pliers. Do you use something with a smaller diameter to achieve the smaller center hole?

Yearling":33su389h said:
Shanghai":33su389h said:

Another question. The hole in the middle seems tighter than mine. I use the handle of fencing pliers. Do you use something with a smaller diameter to achieve the smaller center hole?

No that pic is just showing how to twist the wire so it won't slip
The Texas fence fixer splices look like hell no matter what you do

I have used the crimp sleeves a lot. They are quick and have held well. I used to buy them at tractor supply, but found them cheaper at an overhead door company.

Yearling":3k09uwa9 said:
Hello all.

Could anyone relate their experiences with barbed wire crimpers? Do they work well? Will they hold when the fence is stretched?

Do they use the same size crimp sleeves? Is one brand better than another?

Please feel free to describe anything you feel is important. I'm ready to learn.

Thanks,
Yearling

Got about 20 miles of smooth wire out on the fences - all of it held together with crimps. Same amount of barbed on some rented land.

Get the right crimp sizes, use the right tools and do it right - you cannot break it.

Do it wrong or sloppy and it is a piece of crap

I can do the Shanghia splice as pictured - but I can do thirty splices and crimps in the time it takes to do one of those.

And remember - it is a poor workman who blames his tools.

Best to all

Bez__

Latest posts