Bangs Vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Do most of you primarily Bangs vaccinate all of your replacement heifers? (I.E. Not really necessary to give the Bangs shot to slaughter heifers?)

Just wondering what the general opinion is on this topic. I understand it's a little different in every state.

cornstalk":1o1145ss said:
Do most of you primarily Bangs vaccinate all of your replacement heifers? (I.E. Not really necessary to give the Bangs shot to slaughter heifers?)

Just wondering what the general opinion is on this topic. I understand it's a little different in every state.

I think there are only three states that aren't Bangs-free? TX, MO and FL. Is that right?
Though OK is now a brucellosis-free state, we still get all our heifers vaccinated.

We don;t do any of the beef heifers but all of the dairy heifers are vaccinated

dun

We don;t do any of the beef heifers but all of the dairy heifers are vaccinated

dun

Although I would never tell anyone not to, I don't have mine bangs vaccinated.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":26kvql6k said:
No frankie you are incorrect. I have a friend that works for the USDA and he said that Tennessee is bangs free. We still vaccinate for it just in case.

:?: That doesn't make me incorrect. I didn't say TN was one of the states that wasn't Bangs-free.

Idaho isn't free (anymore) - all mine are vaccinated once they're old enough.

Yep. Rumor goes that some dimwit in the middle of the state decided he didn't need to vaccinate his entire herd, and so only a portion were vaccinated as calves. Herd came in contact with elk, and whoopdedoo. Any wonder that they tested positive? I've always had mine done...but then I believe we've been required to vaccinate everything for years and if there was no tattoo on springers or cows going through the auction they had to be sent to slaughter; different catagory of "free" than some of the other free states, I guess.

Frankie":3v9s6pqo said:
cornstalk":3v9s6pqo said:

I think there are only three states that aren't Bangs-free? TX, MO and FL. Is that right?
Though OK is now a brucellosis-free state, we still get all our heifers vaccinated.

That would be incorrect, Frankie. Wyoming lost her bangs-free certification last year or the year before, can't remember which. Several herds in the northern part of the state were infected by elk. That being said, we have always bangs vaccinated our heifers.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1isskr29 said:
I have a vet come out and do all the heifers. I steer all my bull calves so they arent bangs vaccinated.
You've got to be the last one in the Great State of Tennessee thats Vaccinating for Bangs. Period.

We bangs vac. everything. For those of you that don't, you just don't know the joy of having a neighbor sell cattle through the salebarn and have some of them bang out. Then you have to pen everything, after penned call the state vet, then two to three weeks later he shows up to draw blood on everyone, then two to three weeks later you get the results. Meanwhile, you are having to feed 100 head or so in a drylot situation waiting on the results.

cul8r":cvk51cnl said:
We bangs vac. everything. For those of you that don't, you just don't know the joy of having a neighbor sell cattle through the salebarn and have some of them bang out. Then you have to pen everything, after penned call the state vet, then two to three weeks later he shows up to draw blood on everyone, then two to three weeks later you get the results. Meanwhile, you are having to feed 100 head or so in a drylot situation waiting on the results.

I can only imagine. It sounds like more fun than should be allowed by law.

JonB":15myz9gr said:
It was mentioned earlier that MO is not Bangs free. Last I knew we still were Bangs free. Has this changed recently?

As of last week we were.

dun