Vaccination questions

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
When taking calves to the sale barn do y'all usually vaccinate them or take them unvaccinated? I was just curious because everyone has different vaccination programs and protocols and wasn't sure if it was better to vaccinate or just take them to the sale barn.

In my situation I will be vaccinating my 4 heifers in October. I have a 1st calf heifer who calved in June so her calf will be 4 months old. I will worm him and sale him at about 5 or 6 months. Should I vaccinate for anything or not worry about it?

Also one more question. The other heifers will be bred to calve in December and if I vaccinate them for something will it carry through to their calves when they are born? Seems like I read that some stuff would.

Thanks for your time!

I vaccinate all my calves between 30 and 60 days old usually when cutting and implanting bull calves. I use a 7 or 8 way blackleg and a BRD vaccine. I don't vaccinate cows past 2 years old and so far no problems. Vaccinating the calves you are selling just helps the next guy.

I vaccinate all the calves following VAC45. But where I sell calves the auctioneer announces it and the buyers pay more for it. I know when I buy calves even though I still give them my own vaccinations I sure like it when they were vaccinated before I bought them. There is considerable less sickness. I pay more for vaccinated calves.
The question for you is do they announce it where you sell? Do the buyers pay more?

Latest posts