Banding Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Banding between 24-48 hours old is easiest on everyone-- calves and humans alike. We've banded thousands of our calves and never had any trouble. Our calves are up and bouncing around minutes later-- no pain, no weight loss. They gain well, they wean well, and sell at the top of their class. It's the only way to go. :)

I have used all methods over the years. I use a Callicrate Bander on calves up to 650 lbs with no issues. Had 2 different vets process part of the calves last year and they used a California bander.
My vet says to never slit the bag when banding. They say you won't have any tetanus issues if you don't slit the bag. If you give 8 way it will be enough.

Banding at birth is not an option for a lot of us.
This! We used to band at birth, but now it's just me tagging/working newborns (has been for at least 3 years). I recognize my limitations. Calves are now banded when they're worked at appx. 3 months and I haven't had any problems.

I agree at birth is probably ideal. However, spring is my busiest time. And isn't an option. I have the bull pulled right now. Putting him back in Mid June. Tired of soppy wet and cold calves.

Ideally i will be banding these around 300 pounds.

All but 1 didn't seem to be phased by the bands thankfully.

Bring me to another question.

When traders buy 8 and 10 weight bulls, do they knife them or band or what?

I have used all methods over the years. I use a Callicrate Bander on calves up to 650 lbs with no issues. Had 2 different vets process part of the calves last year and they used a California bander.
My vet says to never slit the bag when banding. They say you won't have any tetanus issues if you don't slit the bag. If you give 8 way it will be enough.
Speaking from experience, this is not true.

It would seem to me that if you slit the sack a few times you'd be ensuring that tetanus wouldn't be a problem. My understanding is that tetanus happens in an anaerobic environment. Cut the slits,and there's air in there, not blood.

Straighten me out if my thinking is incorrect.

It would seem to me that if you slit the sack a few times you'd be ensuring that tetanus wouldn't be a problem. My understanding is that tetanus happens in an anaerobic environment. Cut the slits,and there's air in there, not blood.

Straighten me out if my thinking is incorrect.
You are correct. Common sense would suggest that cutting the sack can only help.
Even if slitting the sack didn't help anything, it's a well known fact that both banded and cut calves can get tetanus. For a vet to suggest that banding without slitting can PREVENT tetanus seems absurd to me.

We banded a few calves around 2 months this weekend and I highly doubt we do it again. One, I could have cut them faster. Secondly, the calves looked extremely uncomfortable. They walked funny and went right to lay down. When we were finished and moving the cattle out of the trap back to pasture they didnt want to get up and walk with the herd due to the discomfort, I assume.

Trying to reserve judgment until I see the final result but I'm thinking banding is going to get filed in the same folder as fence line weaning for us.

Last edited:
We regularly buy 6-7 wt bulls as we have a market for up to 850 wt cattle.... heifers and steers..... we use the Callicrate bander. Have not had a bit of problem except one or 2 bands that actually broke. We give a tetanus shot. Band. Do not slit. Keep them in the barn feedlot. 99% of the time they are back at the feed bunk within 2-3 hours like they never got touched. In 2 days we run them through the chute again and I feel the sacks and if they are cold, they go out to the lot on grass. If the sacks are cold, the circulation is gone. Sometimes we will get them in after 2-3 weeks and cut the sacks off, if they are close and convenient to the barn.
So, that is what we do. We mostly band our own at 2 months or when we get ready to put them out to pasture for the summer. We give them a blackleg shot and band at that age and they go with the cows for summer grazing. We are leaving several as bulls this year that we really like, to assess in the fall as possible bull prospects. Last year we banded all the ones and there were 3 exceptional steers that we wish we had left as bulls so we will leave some out of that bull, as bull calves for the summer. Can always band this fall if we don't like them later on.
I have had 2 bad experiences with cutting, both times done by a vet. Neighbor just got 4 jer/ang x calves from me.... about 3-4 months, weaned, and he cut them at the barn. We were gonna band and he said no, he would cut them.... so his problem.
To each his own on the smaller ones.... but we like the callicrate bander on the bigger ones.

Buck speaking from experience it is true. We have banded for 6 years and my vet bands thousands every year.
I banded thousands of bulls for years and it worked perfectly every time, until it didn't. If you band enough, you'll see tetanus, slit scrotum or not.

We banded a few calves around 2 months this weekend and I highly doubt we do it again. One, I could have cut them faster. Secondly, the calves looked extremely uncomfortable. They walked funny and went right to lay down. When we were finished and moving the cattle out of the trap back to pasture they didnt want to get up and walk with the herd due to the discomfort, I assume.

Trying to reserve judgment until I see the final result but I'm thinking banding is going to get filed in the same folder as fence line weaning for us.
That's interesting. I've had the opposite experience. But now my calves are banded when they're in the chute while we're working them; I'm giving shots on one side, another crew is giving shots on the other, another crew is banding. But yes, they do act a little uncomfortable for a day or so. I check them twice a day and make sure they get up, move around, nurse, are not off by themselves. I also make sure to hit 'em in that area with Ultra Boss (or whatever I'm using that year).

That's interesting. I've had the opposite experience. But now my calves are banded when they're in the chute while we're working them; I'm giving shots on one side, another crew is giving shots on the other, another crew is banding. But yes, they do act a little uncomfortable for a day or so. I check them twice a day and make sure they get up, move around, nurse, are not off by themselves. I also make sure to hit 'em in that area with Ultra Boss (or whatever I'm using that year).
Cut day is coming up for us and of course, flies are worse this year than ever. How do you keep them off a rotting scrotum until it falls off??

I'm not real happy with the banders I have. They dont seem to open up enough to just slide the open band over the sack. You end up having to "thread" them in. Seems like you end up with one in and one sucked up. If it would open bigger it would slide over while they are hanging naturally.

Latest posts