Banding Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I am banding the last of my bulls today with the XL bander, calves are 3-4 months of age. I like this age as testicles have usually dropped, flies aren't bad and gains have been made with leaving them on. That being said, I have pinched at 7 months of age and banded as newborns. The older they get, the more of a pain it is to do them, but gains can be pretty good.

This is new to me, I've always sold my calves uncut. I've been told or read somewhere, that you can band them at birth or a few days old, just banding the flap of skin, scrotum, and not worry about the testicles dropping. Do I need to pull down testicles?

rowdyred":1aze8zd8 said:
This is new to me, I've always sold my calves uncut. I've been told or read somewhere, that you can band them at birth or a few days old, just banding the flap of skin, scrotum, and not worry about the testicles dropping. Do I need to pull down testicles?

You need to make sure you count two nuts.

After they have a belly full of colostrum, they are ready whenever you are, preferably before they are 300 lbs.
AND...
YES, make sure you have both testicles in the scrotum or they will become staggy as short yearlings and beyond.

rowdyred":1mn5nvcg said:

Depending on the market, you can easily leave $20-50 on the table per head by not castrating. That's a better return than implanting.

I prefer to band as soon as possible, but have done it up to and around 7 months. I have had one of the older model EZE Castrators, and recently got an XL Bander.

Small bander as soon as born count to two and release not all the way up leave a little space. Bigger bander give tetnas shots before procedure I will not do that again after watching one die from tetnas I would use a knife first. We have gone to knife cutting not as easy but you don't miss.

Aaron":1lkvhte8 said:
I am banding the last of my bulls today with the XL bander, calves are 3-4 months of age. I like this age as testicles have usually dropped, flies aren't bad and gains have been made with leaving them on. That being said, I have pinched at 7 months of age and banded as newborns. The older they get, the more of a pain it is to do them, but gains can be pretty good.

I'm with you on waiting to do them if you have the facilities to work them as the weight gain from the natural testosterone is "free weight gain". You don't have to go looking for the testicles like when they are little; but babies are alot easier. We always give tetanus shots as directed with the older calves and have never lost one. Used to knife cut but have had trouble with flies and had the vet do several and they nearly bled to death. Wrong "sign" and it was near full moon. It all depends on your situation, but for most people asap. :shock:

Studies have shown any weight gain is negligible, over banding at birth - as they get set back more then, than they do at birth. Harder to handle, more stress and chance for problems when older too.

I leave some purebred bulls to see what they turn into - they don't outdo the steers as a group,

if you band when they are older do ay of you slit the bottom of the sack. seem to make them fall off much faster

BRYANT":u3eosi4s said:
if you band when they are older do ay of you slit the bottom of the sack. seem to make them fall off much faster

Have heard people say that many times, but have never done it and likely never will.

jcarkie":qf6vp7do said:
Small bander as soon as born count to two and release not all the way up leave a little space. Bigger bander give tetnas shots before procedure I will not do that again after watching one die from tetnas I would use a knife first. We have gone to knife cutting not as easy but you don't miss.

X2 :nod: :roll: I've starred in this movie myself. I could never sell a dead calf! Went and bought a big bottle of tetnas to keep around now. B&G

I band in the first couple days but sometimes i miss some calves if they are born in a pasture I have that is almost 50 miles from home. The ones I miss I will band when they are bigger but I cut a small slit, and they will dry up faster and fall off much faster. I seen a man band 80 head that was 800 lb. stock they looked bad a smelled like a bunch of walking dead bulls they had a bunch of black slim-rotting meat hanging from them. I myself would not let that happen.

Supa Dexta":2pr8i3m3 said:
Studies have shown any weight gain is negligible, over banding at birth - as they get set back more then, than they do at birth. Harder to handle, more stress and chance for problems when older too.

I leave some purebred bulls to see what they turn into - they don't outdo the steers as a group,
You might ought to reevaluate how good your bulls grow...

cowboy43":35sqygfn said:
If a 500 lb calf was banded, how long would it take to heal so it could be sold at the auction.

6-7 weeks - some take longer to drop off than others for whatever reason.

Latest posts