banding bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc said:
We mainly band. We give 8 way with tetani when we work them. One of my vets with a large practice says as long as you don't slit the bag you will be fine. We haven't had any issues. We use both the Zip Bandit and the Callicrate bander

Does the bandit work for larger bulls? What weight range does it work best with?
Thanks

Bcompton53 said:
elkwc said:
We mainly band. We give 8 way with tetani when we work them. One of my vets with a large practice says as long as you don't slit the bag you will be fine. We haven't had any issues. We use both the Zip Bandit and the Callicrate bander

Does the bandit work for larger bulls? What weight range does it work best with?
Thanks

It works, but you have to ignore the directions and zip it together after you have it above the testicles. It much more difficult when they get bigger. The last I checked they had suspended selling for a while due to some legal issue (patent or trademark).

I will email his wife and see if they have resumed.

Bcompton53 said:
elkwc said:

Thanks

We have used it on calves from 250-550 with no issue. Have never had any trouble with them. Just make sure you pull them all the way. On big bulls I make a big loop and put it in place before pulling it tight. Prefer the Callicrate bander if over 500 lbs.

Lucky_P said:
Alternatively, you could give both tetanus toxoid AND tetanus antitoxin at the time of band application, and booster the toxoid 2 weeks or so later.

The problem is, you can't get the antitoxin right now. Everwhere I have checked says they can't get it.

My bull was around 400-500 pounds when I used the zip bandits. The business is 30 miles from my place. Last time I called them they said they'd be back selling soon. She sent me a 10 pack for free as a sample.

NonTypicalCPA said:
My bull was around 400-500 pounds when I used the zip bandits. The business is 30 miles from my place. Last time I called them they said they'd be back selling soon. She sent me a 10 pack for free as a sample.

I have been corresponding with Cathy since last winter and they never gave me any free... :mad: :mad: ;-)

sstterry said:
NonTypicalCPA said:

I have been corresponding with Cathy since last winter and they never gave me any free... :mad: :mad: ;-)

I can share!! I won't need any until next summer, and then only 4.

NonTypicalCPA said:
sstterry said:
NonTypicalCPA said:

I can share!! I won't need any until next summer, and then only 4.

Thanks, but I still have some. I only use them on the big ones I can't use the bander on. I may just cut the next batch.

sstterry said:
Lucky_P said:
Alternatively, you could give both tetanus toxoid AND tetanus antitoxin at the time of band application, and booster the toxoid 2 weeks or so later.

The problem is, you can't get the antitoxin right now. Everwhere I have checked says they can't get it.

I was able to order some a few months ago

elkwc said:
sstterry said:
Lucky_P said:

I was able to order some a few months ago

But not right now. I have tried 3 separate places (local and online) they all say itis on backorder.

sstterry said:
NonTypicalCPA said:

You must not be a "sweet talker" :lol: :lol:

Latest posts