banding bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I have traditionally banded my bull calves shortly after birth, within a few days. This year I was thinking about just waiting until I run cows through for A.I. This would put the bulls at about 2-3 months old. Are there any considerations I need be aware of if I delay like this? I just use the small donut bander. And I'm not looking for a band vs cut discussion.
Thanks

Bcompton53 said:
I have traditionally banded my bull calves shortly after birth, within a few days. This year I was thinking about just waiting until I run cows through for A.I. This would put the bulls at about 2-3 months old. Are there any considerations I need be aware of if I delay like this? I just use the small donut bander. And I'm not looking for a band vs cut discussion.
Thanks

That will work just as well assuming the donut fits. Remember to administer a tetanus shot.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bcompton53 said:
Thanks

That will work just as well assuming the donut fits. Remember to administer a tetanus shot.

Yeah, I have had some get a little big. Takes some maneuvering to get both oysters below the band.
I guess this isn't the time to tell you that myself, nor my dad have ever given tetanus when banding? I suppose we should, but so far it's been cheaper to not. Is tetanus a regional thing?

Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bcompton53 said:
Thanks

Yeah, I have had some get a little big. Takes some maneuvering to get both oysters below the band.
I guess this isn't the time to tell you that myself, nor my dad have ever given tetanus when banding? I suppose we should, but so far it's been cheaper to not. Is tetanus a regional thing?

Well you said I couldn't offer a cut vs band response (we cut) so I had to throw in the tetanus recommendation. I have read on this forum that a tetanus shot was the preferred protocol so I repeated it to make me sound more authoritative.

I use the bigger bander that uses the surgical tubing bands. It has more room for a larger scrotum. As long as they have had the two tetanus toxoid shots, you are fine.

Edited: Clostridium tetani is ubiquitous worldwide

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Well you said I couldn't offer a cut vs band response (we cut) so I had to throw in the tetanus recommendation. I have read on this forum that a tetanus shot was the preferred protocol so I repeated it to make me sound more authoritative.

I definitely wasn't arguing with you. It does seem to be normal protocol. Yeah I just didn't want a bunch of responses that said "don't band, banding is bad. Cutting is good. etc ". Kinda like saying "No trades" on a sale ad. If you don't, you'll get all kinds of funny offers. haha

Tetanus risk is variable by region and farm. I've personally never seen it in calves that were banded at birth. The risk goes up significantly as calves get older and the band makes a bigger wound.

I now band when we work them at appx 3 months and use both the large & small, contingent on the size of the calf (the exception is a cryptorchid and then it's cut). I would definitely recommend a tetanus toxoid in this blazing hot KS summer and make sure they get up a move a couple times a day.

TCRanch said:
I now band when we work them at appx 3 months and use both the large & small, contingent on the size of the calf (the exception is a cryptorchid and then it's cut). I would definitely recommend a tetanus toxoid in this blazing hot KS summer and make sure they get up a move a couple times a day.
calves aren't born yet. They'll be here late sept-october. So it would be December when they'd be banded.

Bcompton53 said:
TCRanch said:
calves aren't born yet. They'll be here late sept-october. So it would be December when they'd be banded.
Gotcha. I would still recommend a tetanus toxoid as a relatively inexpensive precaution, especially if they're all bedded down together. Doesn't matter how many times you scrape, it still gets nasty around bales, in barns, lots, etc. 50 doses of Covexin 8 is around $40-45.

oh shoot, I didn't realize covexin 8 has the tetanus portion. That's what I give when we AI cows, and again at weaning. So, I'm set! Thanks!

So I guess I have been giving the tetanus, but typically several months after being banded.

Bcompton53 said:
oh shoot, I didn't realize covexin 8 has the tetanus portion. That's what I give when we AI cows, and again at weaning. So, I'm set! Thanks!

So I guess I have been giving the tetanus, but typically several months after being banded.

ha, I realized how this sounds.....to clarify, when I say "that's what we give when we AI cows" What I mean is, that's what we give the calves by their side when we have their mothers in to AI.

But, to truly work, you need to give a shot BEFORE banding and then a booster - as far as I know.
I band at birth and don't worry about tetanus. Occasionally, we will band one at 2-3 months of age. If older, we generally just cut them.

I've seen tetanus a few times in baby calves banded with the green Cheerio.
First case of tetanus I ever saw was in one of my own steers - knife-cut at about 400 lbs... so cutting isn't without some risk.

But I've seen far more cases in 5-7cwt bulls banded with the surgical tubing. One particular wreck (they probably lost 40 steers before it was over)... they gave tetanus toxoid at the time of banding, but the calves 'lost the race'... their immune systems didn't make antibodies fast enough to overcome toxin production by the tetanus bacteria. An initial toxoid dose, 2-4 weeks prior to banding, with booster at the time of band application is best. Alternatively, you could give both tetanus toxoid AND tetanus antitoxin at the time of band application, and booster the toxoid 2 weeks or so later.

Bcompton53 said:
any one used the "zip bandit?"

Yes both myself and my buddy just started using them. Worked like a charm. My one bull calf was lying around complaining for a day, then went right back to normal on day two.

We use covexin 8 and typically band 3-6 months, of course at the later end you would need a bigger bander.

We mainly band. We give 8 way with tetani when we work them. One of my vets with a large practice says as long as you don't slit the bag you will be fine. We haven't had any issues. We use both the Zip Bandit and the Callicrate bander

Latest posts