Banding bull calves at older age

Help Support CattleToday:

california bander,this one works for me.
i bought this bander because a buddy of mine had the high dollar ones .
he bought a california bander and dosnt use the high dollar one.
i give covexen 8 at time of banding and have had no problems.

as for cutting off the bag make sure it is cold to the touch(not warm from blood flow)

what i do with sale barn cutting bulls:

give triangle 4,covexen8,wormer,vitamin a, this is done next day after purchase.
watch close for first 7-12days for sickness.give la200,nuflor if any sign of sickness.
day 12 i give 2nd round of triangle 4 and cut off bag below band.
this is about the 5th set of cutting bulls i done with no problems.

the next ones i will trying small cut in the bag.

larryshoat":3ajz2p79 said:
msscamp":3ajz2p79 said:
larryshoat":3ajz2p79 said:
I think for the toxoid you would need to get 2 rounds of that in them prior to castrating to have immunity, the antitoxin is for treatment of tetanus .
Larry

No, that is not true. The toxoid takes about 10 days to build immunity, but one injection will protect against tetanus. I've used the toxoid with my goats, and we've used also used it with banded bulls that vary in age from 7 months to a year old. No problems in any of them.

TETANUS TOXOID-CONCENTRATED

Colorado Serum

Tetanus Toxoid

U.S. Vet. Lic. No.: 188

Active Ingredient(s): Prepared by detoxifying tetanus toxin with a formaldehyde solution and moderate heat in such a manner that the antigenic properties remain intact.

The product is refined to remove most of the nonspecific components and concentrated to provide a low dose effective immunizing agent.

Each serial is tested for purity, safety, and potency in accordance with the applicable standard requirements issued by the United States Department of Agriculture.

Contains thimerosal as a preservative.

Indications: For the vaccination of cattle, horses, sheep, goats and swine against tetanus.

Dosage and Administration: The toxoid requires three (3) to four (4) weeks to establish an effective level of protection and should be used only in non-emergency instances. Booster injections should be made annually or at the time of injury regardless of interval.

Inject intramuscularly as follows:

For horses and cattle, at least two (2) doses of 1 mL each.

For sheep, goats and swine, two (2) doses of 0.5 mL each. The interval between doses should be approximately 30 days. Revaccinate all animals retained for breeding and those held beyond the normal marketing period annually. Use the full dose as recommended above.

Precaution(s): Shake well before using. Store in the dark at 2-7°C.

Sterilize syringes and needles by boiling in clean water.

Caution(s): Transitory local reaction may appear at the site of administration.

Anaphylaxis (shock) may sometimes follow the use of products of this nature. Epinephrine, or an equivalent drug, should be available for immediate use in these instances.

Use the entire contents when first opened. For veterinary use only.

Warning(s): Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.

Discussion: Tetanus is caused by a toxin (poison) produced by the growth of Clostridium tetani, an anaerobic (lives without air) micro-organism that may be carried into the wounds or sites of surgical operations.

Affected animals become stiff, have great difficulty swallowing and the pulse rate is increased. Breathing is labored. Spasmodic contractions of the muscle system occurs, extending muscles of the jaw. Thus, the term lockjaw is frequently applied. Legs are often spread, the tail is stiff with the abdominal muscles retracted. Tetanus stricken animals may be unusually sensitive to light and heat. The temperature of the animal generally remains normal, elevating only shortly before death.

Presentation: 10 x 1 dose (10 x 1 mL) and 10 dose (10 mL) vials.

Larry

Whatever. I have complete faith in my vet, and he is the one who told me that one shot of toxoid at banding is sufficient. Considering the fact that we have been doing it this way for a number of years - on both cattle and my new goat venture, I'm thinking we would have had a problem by now if he was wrong. I don't suppose it ever occured to you that the drug companies make money by recommending extra shots, did it? Your cut and paste is along the lines of tossing drugs exactly at their expiration date, even though they are generally good for another 6 months. You might want to consider that.

Good post Larry! (you just shouldn't make a habit of spoiling a good story with facts. ;-) )

Note to newbies:

When in doubt rather follow the instructions on the label. Only use differently under the instruction of an experienced large animal vet.

what?":3rzzcpua said:
KNERSIE":3rzzcpua said:
Good post Larry! (you just shouldn't make a habit of spoiling a good story with facts. ;-) )

Note to newbies:

When in doubt rather follow the instructions on the label. Only use differently under the instruction of an experienced large animal vet.
HOW DOES A PERSON KNOW WHEN A LARGE ANIMAL VET IS EXPERIENCED?

From the cowsh@t on their boots ,or that funny crook in their arm from palpating all those cattle.. :lol2: :banana:

Just kidding as they should always put on disinfected foot wear when they step out of their vehicle and go to where the cattle are.. :)

.[/quote]HOW DOES A PERSON KNOW WHEN A LARGE ANIMAL VET IS EXPERIENCED?[/quote]

Believe me you can tell, after many years, and many vets, which ones are good and which ones aren't. I had this one vet come out once, old timer, set in his ways, just by some of his techniques, I could tell he wasn't that great. The good ones, care about the animals, and have the confidence that they can do it all, but aren't overbearing jerks about it. My fave large animal vet retired 2 years ago, and I still miss him, he was a great Vet, but even a better person, a sly sense of humor, and told it like it was.

GMN

msscamp":2yp2paqz said:
Whatever. I have complete faith in my vet, and he is the one who told me that one shot of toxoid at banding is sufficient. Considering the fact that we have been doing it this way for a number of years - on both cattle and my new goat venture, I'm thinking we would have had a problem by now if he was wrong. I don't suppose it ever occured to you that the drug companies make money by recommending extra shots, did it? Your cut and paste is along the lines of tossing drugs exactly at their expiration date, even though they are generally good for another 6 months. You might want to consider that.

Thats what we do also with the calicrate bander - 1 shot. I believe the instructions tell you that also. The way it was explained to me was when you band give the shot-- the tetanus toxoid takes a few weeks to get in their system/be effective and the band does not immediately make a wound..so you are protecting them for the near future. Thankfully we've had no problems.

what?":3qp6zoa7 said:
preston39":3qp6zoa7 said:
I might point out that castration is... a one trip....process.

We castrate with the sign in the left knee...going down. Never had a bleeder,infection or any other residual side effect.
What do you mean by sign in the left knee....going down. Never heard it before.

braunvieh":owfh2yde said:
what?":owfh2yde said:
preston39":owfh2yde said:

We castrate with the sign in the left knee...going down. Never had a bleeder,infection or any other residual side effect.
What do you mean by sign in the left knee....going down. Never heard it before.
====================
Sorry for the brevity;

Farmers Almanac publishes dates/signs when it right to dehorn; castrate, etc. We have found that it works for castration. Never tried it on anything else...we have Angus. ;-)

I've done about 10 head with the calicrate. Had one 800+ that I guess I rolled the band on. Had one slip back through about two weeks later. Decided to reband to stop the bleeding, that band cut off what was hanging just when it got tight. Not pretty!!! Had some take longer than what they say. Gave tetanus to all. Had a couple start smelling before they fell off. Heard great things on it, prob operator error. Still deciding on what to use this year. Working them next week, have some 4-6 mo olds. Going to start banding at birth I think due to research I've seen.

Banding at birth may lead to slower growth during their first few months ... fwiw ...

But then again, banding later and messing up will set them back a ways, too.

We have banded more than a thousand - larger sizes - with the Callicrate bander plus more than a thousand utilizing the green cheerios on smaller calves. We have never utilized any Tetanus products and have never lost an animal because of it to our knowledge.

preston39":1ntct49p said:
Our 500-550# commercial calve buyers REQUIRES knife castration 30-45 days before purchase...or the animal is discounted. The exlanation is that the feeder lot uses the scrotum as a gauge of carcass fat content and then they are able to adjust the intake values. The only time we adjust the time frame is if/when an individual animal begins developing the traditional bull type facial features..then we castrate him early.

Your production may be discounted without you realizing it. Suggest you check with your purchase source.

We knife cut almost everything here as well, unless it's an unusual circumstance. Especially at that age and weight. I've also heard it mentioned that buyers prefer their purchased cattle to be knife cut...in my area at least. Might be different in yours! Best of luck to you!

Latest posts