Banding a 500 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
I've got a chute and a head catch, but I was wondering how someone would go about banding a bull this large? Do you pu tit in the catch, tie its feet and come at it from behind? How would you do it?

Thanks,
Brad

I wouldnt touch it. Maybe cut em... this is a question for those that cut em instead of banding...

The Bachelor":pdneoolf said:
I've got a chute and a head catch, but I was wondering how someone would go about banding a bull this large? Do you put it in the catch, tie its feet and come at it from behind? How would you do it?

Thanks,
Brad

You could band him, though cutting is always good too...get behind him, have someone hold the tail up over the bull (pulls the hamstrings so's he can't kick), then put the elastrator on him. No need for leg-tying. Bull's nuts might be too big for the elastrator (unless it comes in different sizes but I doubt it), so use the knife and the berduzzi. Works just as good.

I use a large latex bander when we have to do something that big. Slide a 2x4 in behind his legs if he's a kicker.

cfpinz

There are banders made that can handle a 500 pound bull. I don't know if the california bander can but the Callcirate or however it is spelled was basically made for it as as the e-z elastrator (Another surgical tube bander.) Take a good long time for the sack to come all the way off, make sure you give it the proper tetnus shot and you shouldn't have too many problems... Probably two shots would be best. One a couple weeks before and one when you do it.

Or cut it but some folks worry about bleed out on 500 pounders.. Probably wouldn't be a problem..

The california bander can easily take care of bulls this size. Just put him in the chute, have someone lift the tail and put it on as the instructions say. Takes about 10 seconds. They do need tetanus at time of banding though.

cfpinz":2r8olygd said:
I use a large latex bander when we have to do something that big. Slide a 2x4 in behind his legs if he's a kicker.

cfpinz

Good Idea about the boards behind the legs. I know some people recommend cutting, but I don't have the skill to do it, or the money to pay to have it done. I've been banding goats for years. Someone loaned me a triband bander. I thought I'd give it a try. I'm worried about the bull kicking and was wondering about how to do it

I remember reading in another post not sure which one but they said to give a tetanus shot before you band one that size might want to check with a vet before just incase it would be cheaper to give the shot a couple of weeks early than try to fix it afterwards. ok I found what I was reading here it is
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31759[/url]

They have banders for bulls that size. I borrowed a applicator a couple times to band 500 pound bulls. The applicator is expensive, this one is almost $300. It works good, and does the job. I had a couple get infections and had to give antibiotics.
I used a headgate. Don't take any chances, have boards in back and tie one of the hind legs securely. Sometimes they kick like crazy. I've tried the big bands, they work. But I will do the knife method from now on.

when he is in the head gate, have someone pull his tail straight up.

Thanks all, I appreciate it. It looks like Thursdays the day, so I'll let you know if there were any broken bones (on the owners..... not the bulls.....)

Thanks again,

Brad

I always band my bulls at weaning (600 lbs or more) We have a headgate and chute , my helper always holds the tail, I never had any problem but last fall the first one we did kicked me on the chin I needed stitches. they usually don't kick but this one did.

I banded several 550 pounders last year in the chute using the new XL bander. Just opened the bottom panel on the chute and reached in. Did it by myself without any issues. You should be fine. If you have that Tri-bander, though, you might have size issues. I have that one too and it wouldn't handle the big guys, thus my purchase of the newer XL size.

Banding a kicker by yourself can be done with a rope tied around the back legs. (I use a large cotton one). You can tie one leg up but they can loose their balance and fall. Best way is to have enough slack in the ropes where they can touich the ground but not enough to kick. I have always wanted to tie one between a hind leg and a nose ring on a really mean one. :lol: I have had some luck tying a tail up but its harder to fix a knot that wont slip and easy to get untied after its over. Another remedy that works is (yeah, I know this one is crazy) is to wear shin-guards and get in close.

Bama":2r39egzy said:
wear shin-guards and get in close.

sounds like a man that has been there.

You can band em this size with the XL banders works great.
At times for the "fat nuts" you have to work them down one at a time. On the rare time you will have a light infection because of size. Just watch and treat with nuflor or whatever you prefer.

MD

Latest posts