BALING HAY ON SHARES

Help Support CattleToday:

Avalon

Reaction score
I am at odds about what to do. For years I have been sharing the fertilizer cost with a local "hay man". He bales the hay on my place, he gets half and I get half. He tells me now that he can no longer afford to do this and wants to come up with a new agreement. With the cost of deisel and fertilizer I can understand this. During normal rain years we are getting 2/1450 lbs bales per acre/per cutting. He has suggested that the only way he can continue baling on the halves is for me to pay the whole fertilzer bill. I'm curious as to what everyone out there thinks about this.

well i for 2 have never heard of the baler man paying half the fert bill.an then getting half the hay.around here the guy that has the hay pays the fert bill.an then splitts 50/50 with the baler.so that sounds like a fair deal to me.if you can get enough hay on the shares to get you through the winter.

Thanks big bull. I always thought that he was being kind. maybe to kind. I do not like taking advantage of anyone. Looks like he has been overly generous with me in the past. Thus I will go with his deal.

i would count him among my friends.yes he is giving you a more than fair deal in the past.an its a fair deal in the future.like if you fet an it dont rain much.he is sharing the risk with you because yall are still splitting the hay 50/50.

Depends on year and what hay is selling for, sometimes baler gets 2/3 of crop for baling ( cutting, raking, baling). If hay is in short supply and prices are high then maybe 50/50. Basically when I do hay baling and I am going to have to sell the hay for my pay, then I looking to get enough out of my share to be at least 20 dollars a roll or little more since I may have to hold on to the hay a while and maybe load hay for the buyer to make a sell. So on a 50/50 split I would have to get $40 a roll, 2/3 split I am looking at $30 a roll. Bottom line I want to make $20 for ever bale I have to bale ( 5.5 X6 bale)
Last year people could not get balers to bale hay even if they whole crop was given to them. I took one job where I was given whole crop so I have it again this year, it was not that good of hay, but as we say it beats a snowball.
All the ones I know around here, the baler does not pay any of fertilizer. In my opinon you were getting a very good deal.

Here you bear all the cost custom balers require a 40 bale minimum for 50/50 split or you pay by the bale.
I think they are nuts as I wouldn't load the hay equipment on the trailer for 20 bales.

Same here. Owner pays for the fertilizer and the baler does the work and provides the machinery. Each gets half. With the price of diesel and fertilizer both going crazy it will prolly even out.

Avalon":y0puc7y1 said:
Thanks big bull. I always thought that he was being kind. maybe to kind. I do not like taking advantage of anyone. Looks like he has been overly generous with me in the past. Thus I will go with his deal.

Sounds like a good guy and you don't won't to lose him. I bet it all but killed him to suggest the change in agreement.

THATS NUTS--- PAY HIM FOR BALING IT AND DONT GIVE HIM ANY OF IT--- WE NEVER TAKE HAY HELL GIMME THE MONEY.
WE RAKE AND BALE AROUND HERE FOR 11 DOLLARS A ROLL BUT DONT SHOW UP TO ANY FIELD THAT IS TOO SMALL ---

THAT JOHN DEERE BALER SPITS OUT A ROLL EVERY 30 SECONDS,
i CANT IMAGINE A FIELD THAT ONLY MAKES 3000 LBS PER ACRE-- TIME TO TILL IT UNDER AND START OVER OR MAYBE YA NEED TO LIME OR MAYBE AERATE IT

JUST CANT IMAGINE WHAT YALL ARE SMOKING OVER THERE.

Angus/Brangus":11gb42e1 said:
Caustic Burno":11gb42e1 said:
Roll every 30 seconds is pretty rich.

I think he forgot to mention that he's traveling about 50 mph through the field :eek:
And not wrapping or tieing them either

dun":o37nb596 said:
Angus/Brangus":o37nb596 said:
Caustic Burno":o37nb596 said:
Roll every 30 seconds is pretty rich.

I think he forgot to mention that he's traveling about 50 mph through the field :eek:
And not wrapping or tieing them either

He also didn't mention what type grass he was baling. First, second, third or fourth cutting either.

I think he forgot to mention that he's traveling about 50 mph through the field :eek:[/quote]
And not wrapping or tieing them either[/quote]

He also didn't mention what type grass he was baling. First, second, third or fourth cutting either.[/quote]

I was thinking richer than three feet up a bulls ass.

Back to the original question. When I bale on halves, it is for baling only. Fertilizer comes out of my nickels.

Not baling on halves, baling was costing me $14 a bale but that has jumped to $17 commensurate wtih fuel price increases. Each cutting generally should yield 600 bales on a normal rainfall year

backhoeboogie":2ovh25ob said:
Back to the original question. When I bale on halves, it is for baling only. Fertilizer comes out of my nickels.

Not baling on halves, baling was costing me $14 a bale but that has jumped to $17 commensurate wtih fuel price increases. Each cutting generally should yield 600 bales on a normal rainfall year

Does that include raking? Or baling only?

john250":n6u516tq said:
backhoeboogie":n6u516tq said:

Cutting, raking, and baling. $17 per bale this year. (Edit: I should have said last year since this is '08) Same thing cost $14 in '05 and '06.

backhoeboogie":1dnootmp said:
john250":1dnootmp said:
backhoeboogie":1dnootmp said:

Cutting, raking, and baling. $17 per bale this year. (Edit: I should have said last year since this is '08) Same thing cost $14 in '05 and '06.

That sounds like a bargain. From your posts, I remember that you irrigate. So I assume the custom operator gets several bales when he comes to your place. Yield makes all the difference in machinery cost/bale.

No irrigation last summer. It was too wet to cut most of the time. We couldn't get a break in the rain. Go figure. '05 it is so dry that prickly pear shiveled up and died. '06 was dry too. If you irrigated and had hay, you were in tall cotton. Then we get constant soakings in '07 and it is to wet to cut or bale most of the time. Everyone has so much hay that you can't sell it.

Latest posts