Baling corn stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying to bale some of the corn stalks in the creek bottom fields this year and have some questions. After the combine shells the corn do you have to let the stalks dry further before baling and also do you cut, mow, or rake the stalks before baling. Thoughts are appreciated.

I saw some baled today right behind the combine, they cut, raked, and baled just like hay. If we don't get some much needed rain very soon, I am going to give it a try.

Be careful with this, my brother tried it and had some major nutritional issues, I guess there is some kind of spray (vitamin/mineral?) they recommend to use on it.

Chop the stalks up with a mower
Rake it into windrows
Bale it up

Cornstalks are hard to get dry when they get rained on in a windrow, so once you rake it start baling. You will get very dusty, dirty, and the stalks are hard on equipment. It makes excellent bedding, but if you are feeding it you will need some suppliments.

We usually like to disk the cornstalks in that are in creek bottom field if it is dry enough. If we don't, when the creek comes out in the winter and then receeds, the stalks fill up drainage ditches and pile up in the fields causing problems. I figured might as well try baling them if possible. We'd probably only feed a few to the cows. Most would be feed as roughage to the feeders instead of wheat straw. Thank you all for your help and input.

Around here those who bale corn stalks just lower their corn head and harvest the stalks closer to the ground eliminating the need to mow. I also don't know anyone who rakes them into windrows, but it would save time. Stalks are very hard on equipment, watch how much the compactor works so you don't break off shear pins on the small balers. That's what happened to us last year. Broke a lot of shear pins before we got the right compaction. We use them as a feed supplement and for bedding.

We're buying some cornstalk rolls from a friend. He's going to take off the spreader and just drop the husks & cobs directly behind the combine. We're hiring another guy to bale them and he has a chopper on the front of his baler. He'll just bale what goes through the combine, no cutting & raking involved.

Cabo":yv0u5gy3 said:
I saw some baled today right behind the combine, they cut, raked, and baled just like hay. If we don't get some much needed rain very soon, I am going to give it a try.
==========
Did you notice what style of cutter and rake they were using?

preston39":3hihczc8 said:
Cabo":3hihczc8 said:
==========
Did you notice what style of cutter and rake they were using?

They were using about an 8 ft. Vermeer disc mower and a New Holland rollabar rake, except for the extra dust, you would think they were baling hay.

This is the most commonly used implement for chopping the corn stalks into smaller pieces. The finer the stalks are chopped the better the feed quality as it is more palitable. Balings as soon as possible after harvest provides the best quality feed.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/de ... 7F0927A689

I have never seen anyone use a disc mower when cutting the stalks that would be something fun to watch for sure.

Hubby was doing that a couple weeks ago.... he said they cut it with a disc mower, raked it and he baled it (and yes he was filthy when he got home at night).

Latest posts