bale processor or tub grinder

Help Support CattleToday:

depends on what you are wanting to do with it

if you are wanting to mix feed for a feed ration you need a TMR or just wanting to grind hay a bale processor will work and be cheaper

also if you are wanting to mix a feed ration it would probably be cheaper to by a horizontal mixer wagon and have your hay ground by a custom grinder that lives near you

As AC said, it depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Different types are more effective for different things. Me thinks the more details you can give, the better the advice you will receive. Are you talking about a true tub grinder or a vertical mixer like the one in the video TB posted.

I tell you what when it comes to processing hay the best and fastest without spilling it out the top and not breaking down, I would go with the LEO Ag vertical mixer. They are heavy built, low cost, and have excellent feed flow. We have had ours for probably 3 years now and like it. Not to mention the running cost of the machine is low too. (Knives,oil,parts, fuel savings, Hp, wear on tractor) I have tried a Patz and an NDE and liked the LEO the most. The factory is in Wisconsin and you can actually call them up and they drop ship to you. When I was looking at a new machine it was the only company where I could actually call and talk to a engineer I had a question regarding the coefficeint of friction when stats when going with a stainless steel liner and the owner called me back. Once a year the owners son calls me and ask how the machine is doing and sends me a discount coupon for knives. if you are looking for a flexible TMR take my advise this is the choice. My son in law baught a patz 8 month after me and have had nothing but problems with the hitch breaking and the foreign DG scale not reading right.

-Mark S

GMN":3k24bmoa said:
maybe i should have said which one is more cost effective?

For a dairy operation the vertical mixer gives you more flexibility and as the salesmen say "pays for itself" by giving you a very uniform feed mix, increased milk production and increased milk components. The negative is the high initial purchase price.

As Mark said everyone has their opinion on the various brands but they all do a darn good job if you take care of them.

AC I hated the horizontal mixers but they were all we had at one time. Seems all they ever did for me was break chains when the augers were put in the least bit of bind.

Mark Swanson":3dkztmng said:
I tell you what when it comes to processing hay the best and fastest without spilling it out the top and not breaking down, I would go with the LEO Ag vertical mixer. They are heavy built, low cost, and have excellent feed flow.

What is low cost?
Are used a good option?

Latest posts