bale dolly

Help Support CattleToday:

j_20":3cyf6tw0 said:
I think someone has touched on it before but cant find it. I'm building a single bale dolly with an old axle and a 3 point bale fork, I can pretty much come up with it as I go but just wondered if anyone had actual plans for one? I'm building the kind that you back fork under bale and winch up not the flipping over kind dont think those would work well where I need them. As of right now I'm thinking 3 inch square tube mounted on top of the axle with u bolts 6 to 8 inches of overhang of the back of the axle boxing the ends and drilling through the tube to just slide pins in for the fork would round pipe be better here? For the hitch I am thinking of just welding on a bulldog 2" ball hitch or a pin hitch from front of axle to hitch I'm thinking 6ft right now and a rest with a pin to hold bale in place once its winched up. I will be putting lights on and fenders since it will likely see highway time. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or advice.
THe one you are building will basically be like a forklift, the forks or spears slide under the bale. Then you use winch to flip bale up for transport, lower winch and pull out from under bale? Am I on the right track here? I built one like this 10 or so years ago and can get you exact measurements along with pics this weekend if you want

Saltbranch yes you are following me and yes I would like pics and measurements if not to much to ask. I have a pretty good idea of the direction I'm going but would like to see and hear all others input to make the best decisions on the build.

j_20":h000jcgo said:
Saltbranch yes you are following me and yes I would like pics and measurements if not to much to ask. I have a pretty good idea of the direction I'm going but would like to see and hear all others input to make the best decisions on the build.

10-4, I will get pics and measurements this weekend. I will try to post Saturday but depends on internet/ cell service. I will be able to post Sunday evening late when I get back home for sure.

Well, I forgot to get pics, but I will be going again next weekend. I built my axle out of pipe and used the weld in axle stubs. I slide 2 each 12" piece of pipe over the axle before I weld the other axle stub on. My asle with tires on, measures at 102" wide outside of tire to out side of tire. The 12" pipe I slide over the axle, are my hinge points. I centered them and I use some 3/4" round stock that i heated and bent around the axle partially, then welded them in as stops. These keep my pipe hinges from sliding side to side. I built my forks out of 2"x2" x1/4" square tube and cut an agle on the tops and capped. I used a 10' piece of 4" x4" x1/4" square tube as my "tongue" I notch the ended of the 4x4 and weded to the axle. I used a bulldog 2-5/16" hitch. I welded the upright on the 4x4 and mounted the winch. I hooked a snatch block to the hinged bale lift and ran cable back to winch post. I used a Dutton-laison hand winch with break...wonderful hand winch from Northern tools is where I got it. You can be in mid lift of a bale and let the winch go, it holds the weight and no unspooling. I think I used the 1500 lb capacity. like 80.00. This is very close to the design I used. When I had a 96' Tacoma, the big bales would lift the Toyota rear off the ground, then when the bale broke over, the tires would hit the ground and way we would go.
I had so much going on this weekend with working, vaccinating, branding cattle...I just forgot to take pics of the buggy.

Sounds stout and now that you and brute have both mentioned the round pipe over axle being your pivot point I'm thinking I may like that idea a little better than my original plan. Probably still use my 3 point bale fork but I may hinge it off the axle like you guys have mentioned.

I did find one on there close by but the guy wanted 1500 for it. I think I can put it together for under 400 if I do it myself.

j_20":2iwebit9 said:
Sounds stout and now that you and brute have both mentioned the round pipe over axle being your pivot point I'm thinking I may like that idea a little better than my original plan. Probably still use my 3 point bale fork but I may hinge it off the axle like you guys have mentioned.
I used 2" square tube for my bale lift and I used weld on axle spring perch's to attach the square tube to the pipe. Gives a good welding surface for both sides. I also used a spring hanger that will capture the top post. The top post will lay into the spring hanger when the bale is broke over. I use a hitch pin to go through the spring hanger to capture the top post and I release the load off the winch when transporting on the road. Around the ranch, the winch holds fine with no problems. Mine is 10' from hitch to axle and I personally would not go any shorter just due to a short trailer being harder to back up. Another problem, a dually with truck bed, it can be hard to see in the mirrors. I used a piece of PVC strategically duct taped for easier viewing in the mirrors :). Here is a link the spring perchs, would not be hard to fab but I have a trailer shop in town that's cheap on stuff.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... e,632.html

Latest posts