Bald Spot on my steer

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
My old pet steer has a bald spot on his neck. I dewormed him thinking maybe it was that. Maybe it was mange. I have one cow that loves to lick this guy right on the neck where he is bald. Do you think its that? How can i get his hair to come back? Its progressively getting worse over the last 6 months. Its about 12 inches, last week was only about 6. The only reason I care is I use him for photo shoots and I have a ton of upcoming wedding events I booked that couples are using him for. I need to try and get it to grow back.

Bright Raven said:
Is he feeding at a hay ring? I see that bald spot when they are feeding at a hay ring.

Oh yes! I'll watch him today and see if that could be it. It does look like some sort of rubbing.

cowgal604 said:
Bright Raven said:
Is he feeding at a hay ring? I see that bald spot when they are feeding at a hay ring.

Oh yes! I'll watch him today and see if that could be it. It does look like some sort of rubbing.

Yes. They rub the top of their neck as they reach for hay. I don't think there is a solution for that.

there may be animal grooming products you could try, but what came to my brain was that spray paint hair product "as seen on tv."

cow licking it probably doesn't help. there is a product for pets/horses called bitter apple, if I recall, that might repel the cow from doing that.

how old is he?

Hippie Rancher said:
there may be animal grooming products you could try, but what came to my brain was that spray paint hair product "as seen on tv."

cow licking it probably doesn't help. there is a product for pets/horses called bitter apple, if I recall, that might repel the cow from doing that.

how old is he?

That or some sort of comb over haha. I know its weird but i am going to try putting diaper cream on it tonight. That stuff seems to clear up everything and hopefully his buddy doesn't like the taste.

Hes about 5. He had a terrible start to life tho so I don't expect him to be the healthiest. I am shocked he even lived to see 5. But he is the face of my business right now. People come to buy from me just to see him so I need him to look taken care of.

cowgal604 said:
Hippie Rancher said:

how old is he?

That or some sort of comb over haha. I know its weird but i am going to try putting diaper cream on it tonight. That stuff seems to clear up everything and hopefully his buddy doesn't like the taste.

Hes about 5. He had a terrible start to life tho so I don't expect him to be the healthiest. I am shocked he even lived to see 5. But he is the face of my business right now. People come to buy from me just to see him so I need him to look taken care of.

Do what the show folks do! They use a black spray paint. It will at least get you through the pictures.

PS: I really like his head. Reminds me of the Simmental Sure Bet Sons. I have 2 in my herd with that same kind of head and pelage.

Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:
Hippie Rancher said:

how old is he?

Do what the show folks do! They use a black spray paint. It will at least get you through the pictures.

PS: I really like his head. Reminds me of the Simmental Sure Bet Sons. I have 2 in my herd with that same kind of head and pelage.

I will most definitely do that! Easier than photoshop and the million "oh no is he ok?" questions.

He's a good one. Should have gone to beef but I'm a sucker and I saved him. He's an Angus X Shorthorn. He was almost starved to death and then got an awful case of joint ill. I had to try a lot of off label and outside of the box ideas to save this little guy. He was the first one I ever had survive a case of joint ill that bad and I learnt an absolute ton about treating illness from this guy. This is him as a calf. 3 Days old on top, 2 weeks old on the bottom. He had zero food for the first 3 days of life.

cowgal604 said:
Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:

I will most definitely do that! Easier than photoshop and the million "oh no is he ok?" questions.

He's a good one. Should have gone to beef but I'm a sucker and I saved him. He's an Angus X Shorthorn. He was almost starved to death and then got an awful case of joint ill. I had to try a lot of off label and outside of the box ideas to save this little guy. He was the first one I ever had survive a case of joint ill that bad and I learnt an absolute ton about treating illness from this guy. This is him as a calf. 3 Days old on top, 2 weeks old on the bottom. He had zero food for the first 3 days of life.

Thanks for sharing that. The Universe is a cruel, harsh, haphazard miracle. I like to say: The Universe has no conscience. It's true. In fact, it is one of the data points that for me demonstrates that it has no design. No one would have created such a mess. But it does my heart good to see someone take the kind of responsibility you did to save a calf. He is lovely. You have a good heart in a cruel land.

If you would shave/cut his hair on the top of the shoulder and the rest of the top of his neck and spray the bald area, he will look awesome!!! LOL Try to "blend" the hair so you don't go from long hair to bald. Think how you would cut your own hair. No amount of cream or meds will clear that up. It's just rubbed off. When he quits eating hay out of the feeder, it will grow back.

Latest posts