Balancer/Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Zach

Reaction score
I'm breeding a raising balancer females out of angus cows and a gelbvieh bull. Thoughts on breeding the f1 females to a Hereford bull as a terminal cross? Black baldies go higher around here than anything. Or would a charlois bull be a better option as a tc after they have their first calves either out of a calving ease Angus or Hereford bull?

Hereford will be good provided your Gelbvieh bull was homozygous black. If hetero black, you will have a lot of red calves when using a Hereford bull on those cows. Even with a char bull, you'll likely get a fair number of pink pigmented calves

If the balancer AND angus are homozygous black then you should get some nice black baldy calves that will sells very well at any local sale barns. If they are not homozygous, then breed them to a Charolais bull.

Thanks for the input. My bull is actually not homozygous black. His mother was red. However, I don't mind a mix of red and black. Actually probably prefer red. While my blacks are in the pond the couple of reds I have are out grazing.

Zach said:
Thanks for the input. My bull is actually not homozygous black. His mother was red. However, I don't mind a mix of red and black. Actually probably prefer red. While my blacks are in the pond the couple of reds I have are out grazing.

I love the reds too, sale barn not so much.

I've noticed zero difference in heat tolerance (or cold) between the colors and I've got black Angus, red Angus, and Herefords in my herd right now.

Latest posts