Balancer calves weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":6sc171zl said:
Stocker Steve":6sc171zl said:
What typical mature size (pounds more than their English mother) to you see with GV cross replacements?

We've got about a dozen gv sired heifers to calve next month, haven't weighed them but there's very little difference between them and their english contemporaries. Their sire is a 6.0 frame so I'm hoping there's negligibile frame creep, but wider chicks wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I've got some purchased balancer females, and they fit right in with the rest of the crowd. There's extremes and moderation in every breed, just make them work for you.

Remember those steak pics I posted for ya cfpinz? I kept one heifer off that rented GV bull. Would agree with everything you said above.
Have had 2 seasons of a homegrown BA bull and now have the son of that original GV back in with the ladies.

AngusLimoX":1qkootuq said:
Remember those steak pics I posted for ya cfpinz? I kept one heifer off that rented GV bull. Would agree with everything you said above.
Have had 2 seasons of a homegrown BA bull and now have the son of that original GV back in with the ladies.

I do remember the pic. We butchered a steer this year that was extremely high % gv and while his fat cover was about the same, his im fat was less and if one were really picky they would say he is a bit tougher than usual. He's not bad by any means, but I think I'll stick to 50% or less gv in my kill steers from here out.

cfpinz":3jmv063s said:
We butchered a steer this year that was extremely high % gv and while his fat cover was about the same, his im fat was less and if one were really picky they would say he is a bit tougher than usual. He's not bad by any means, but I think I'll stick to 50% or less gv in my kill steers from here out.

Hard to say talking a steer here and a steer there, plus I pounded the feed to that puppy! :lol:

Real impressed with the heifer I kept though, may try her calf as a freezer steer this season. He's gonna get the corn too at todays prices.

cfpinz":7se4ao6d said:
Stocker Steve":7se4ao6d said:
What typical mature size (pounds more than their English mother) to you see with GV cross replacements?

We've got about a dozen gv sired heifers to calve next month, haven't weighed them but there's very little difference between them and their english contemporaries. Their sire is a 6.0 frame so I'm hoping there's negligibile frame creep, but wider chicks wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I've got some purchased balancer females, and they fit right in with the rest of the crowd. There's extremes and moderation in every breed, just make them work for you.
I've heard that Gelbs are the only breed to actually have a decrease in mature weight on cows. With that said, our Gelb influenced heifers seem to grow like weeds early on but they don't get to be a huge animal as one would imagine. They grow fast early on, mature quickly, and then slow down in growth later to settle in with the others as far as weights.

novaman":4i8b1pt2 said:
I've heard that Gelbs are the only breed to actually have a decrease in mature weight on cows. With that said, our Gelb influenced heifers seem to grow like weeds early on but they don't get to be a huge animal as one would imagine. They grow fast early on, mature quickly, and then slow down in growth later to settle in with the others as far as weights.
The balancers I have are growthy and thick calves like you said. The straight bred BA look bigger from a distand but part of it is their legs seem to keep growing...

HOSS":5q12rryi said:
I think have done a pretty good job in selecting mommas. All of our cows were raised from young heifers. I have never bought a "cow". Just heifers. My bull was specifically selected to compliment my cows. I wanted a low BW bull because I grow with heifers.

Why do you only buy heifers, and never cows?

Stocker Steve":ild5uifc said:
HOSS":ild5uifc said:
I think have done a pretty good job in selecting mommas. All of our cows were raised from young heifers. I have never bought a "cow". Just heifers. My bull was specifically selected to compliment my cows. I wanted a low BW bull because I grow with heifers.

Why do you only buy heifers, and never cows?

Usually if someone is selling a cow she didn't perform up to their expectations or there was some other issue.....not always but probably most likely. It is not worth taking a chance. I buy heifers from cattleman who have a good rep for replacement heifers. I have never had to pull a calf from a heifer. These heifers usually turn out to be great cows. I have had to cull a couple in recent years after their first or second calf for either a foot issue or trouble maintaining condition (second calvers) but have had really good luck. In my mind that is due to carefull selection of the heifers that I have bought and by close scrutiny of their mothers when possible.

Latest posts