Bad Show Ring Experiences?

Help Support CattleToday:

n i c c i

Reaction score
Just curious, i love hearing stories of bad/scary/sad things that happen.

I remember watching one handlers class at a local show and this murray grey and red poll steers both got away 3 times during the class and took off into the crowd. As soon as one went so did the other. The handlers were exceptional handlers, i had seen them before and they knew what they were doing but i seriously have never seen a bovine gallop so fast and two guys slide so fast on the grass!

One year at the show our 640 kg steer go scared by a car horn and bolted and jumped into a stand (basically 4 wooden slabs with just poles) he tipped the thing over completely and stacked it. We feared he'd broken a leg for sure, within 5 minutes he was in the ring behaving like an angel. I didn't get to see it cause i was in the ring but that woulda been scary! poor oscar!

I have only seen one other animal "take" their handler & put them down - that was also a GERT. Says something for the breed in my books. I don't care what the "circumstances" were. An animal should NEVER put their head into you - HAMBURGER SOUP!

This year at our county fair we had a bad one. Girl was showing heifer think it was a Chi or Maine X Chi. Nice calf came from Bucks Sale.
The heifer just went crazy the girl (18 years old) tried to hang on but could not. Then the heifer turned and charged her. Pinned her up against the fence, then she fell to ground and it started butting her like a bull at a rodeo. People scared it off her but then heifer turned and came back to her and kept trying to horn her (no horns though) and stepped on her.
It was as bad as any bull I have ever saw on TV at a rodeo. Girl was shaken up a little and hurt her knee, but all in all she was OK. She chose not to come back in ring with heifer.
Her brother seems to do a lot of work with her Calves and I have noticed him being pretty rough with them. Not sure but maybe it is in their handling or maybe just a crazy one.

Rough handling doesn't achieve much, my pony is a classic example of that!

I don't blame her for not wanting to lead the heifer. I once had a really fustrating Highland heifer i had to lead and this was only my second time ever leading a horned breed. Well she spent the whole time digging and ripping at my shoulder with her horn. Thankfully i didn't have to lead the big Highland bull... his horns were massive! and eye level to me... not a nice combination for someone without a heap of experience.

I like to think i am the queen of bad expeiriances.

One year my freind had her steer at the house with mine and he was being terrible that day so we cut the walking short to end it on a good note and i couldn't get past him while he was tied so i pushed him over by his tail head and just as i got perfect with his hind hoof he cow kicked me and cut me open some how.

Then at the state fair i showed a freind of ours Limosine heifer "Faith" :roll: but she beat mearound that ring like i was a rag doll. we came in 5th and the woman i was showing for tried handing me another with lil horns and i told her no that i wasn't even about to try that one.

Later that day another friend of ours had to go into a cow calf pair class she told me to try and set the calf,Rose Bud, up not mentoning that she had NEVER been touched with a showstick before. She some how planted that showstick firmly in my stomach. The Judge was waving mom over and she thought he was cute so she figured he was just waving at her!! lol.

The steer i bought from rose buds owner was an angel at home but when he hit that show ring he tried to mount every steer in there! I went back in with him in showman ship and ended up beating him wiht my show stick and bending it in 1/2!! this all happened in 1 year! i was 10 years old too! lol i never thought about how young i was!

Obviously y'all have never been to a Brahman show. Nothing more terrifying to witness. Especially Ft. Worth.. the start of the majors. Although the Belt Buckle had a couple of near disasters as well. One thing about it.. I would suggest thinking twice before beating a Brahman with your show stick.

well the worsdt i have had and seen was a steer got his neck tie off and took off through the fair ground and down the main street took them an hour to catch. but the worst i had we were selling heifers (justr calved) to a man and we were loading them on the gooseneck and ( iwas 10 yrs old) my brother told me if i let go he would do somethign to me as a joke so i was bring her on and she took off and i was dragged around with her. and another time i as showing my milking shorrthorn heifer she got stung by a bee and went nuts and when i came up to the line i got 6 fro showmanship

we recently had an incident when my boss bought a truckload of steers from a sale. the truck was driving through town and an animal kicked the back door of the truck open and four steers got out. people managed to trap 3 in the police station and one ran around the town centre. he stopped and saw his reflection in a shop window and started mooing and looking at it. shop owners were so scared didnt know if he was gonna try and fight with it or what! lol

ive been kicked and kncked over in the ring by an MG x Brahman steer. I ve had a guernsey dairy heifer collapse n stop breathing in the ring. ive also managed to arouse my bull when i was scratching his belly and not paying attention. His hip movements seemed to amuse....