Bad day in the hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

That field is terraced, the guy that raked it just let the windrows fall where they may, I usually tried to pull the hay above or below the worst spots. It looks like he slid down the bank and he said it seemed to catch and go over. Ground is wet from all our rain. I had just passed him going the opposite direction and the windrow below him, as much as he came down the hill it would have probably got my tractor or baler had I been there. I was a nervous wreck finishing the field.

Tom,

That is surprising. My hayfield is much steeper.

I was mowing pasture today. Steep. I noticed the tractor slid sideways a couple times. Guy told me that is when you turn over. You slide sideways and all is fine unless you catch a tire on something. Then over you go. We had a guy come to Cattle Association field day and talk about turning tractors over. He said in most cases they just roll over. You may break traction and start going sideways. Then hit a low spot and the momentum rolls you over.

First time I've ever seen a hay baler turned over. I've seen tractors, dozers, peanut pickers, and such so I guess balers aren't immune. Hate that Tom.
Did you get it rolled back over?

JMJ Farms":24te7rc4 said:
First time I've ever seen a hay baler turned over. I've seen tractors, dozers, peanut pickers, and such so I guess balers aren't immune. Hate that Tom.
Did you get it rolled back over?
He wants to try and roll it back up in the morning. Was late when it happened and I was baling too, trying to beat one of our many rains. Got that field finished but a few acres are getting wet.

Good luck to you and be safe. Maybe it's not "unfixable". Hopefully just a bent door or two. Hard to tell about the tongue and pto shaft in the pics.

inyati13":jslnno7t said:
Tom,

I was mowing pasture today. Steep. I noticed the tractor slid sideways a couple times. Guy told me that is when you turn over. You slide sideways and all is fine unless you catch a tire on something. Then over you go. We had a guy come to Cattle Association field day and talk about turning tractors over. He said in most cases they just roll over. You may break traction and start going sideways. Then hit a low spot and the momentum rolls you over.

I think I've heard you answer this before but do you have water in your tires?

JMJ Farms":2ugf3ltt said:
Good luck to you and be safe. Maybe it's not "unfixable". Hopefully just a bent door or two. Hard to tell about the tongue and pto shaft in the pics.

Not my baler, it is my neighbors. We do some hay together. Tongue looks pretty bad, really did not look too hard at it as I was trying to finish the field.

Craig Miller":ffgg89ij said:
inyati13":ffgg89ij said:
Tom,

I think I've heard you answer this before but do you have water in your tires?

Back tires are fluid filled.

I've had my share of bad luck in a hay field but can't say I've ever had anything that bad. Hope you get things going and hope it didn't tear something up too bad.

That's a bad deal there. Glad it didn't get the tractor too. Neighbor rolled one 2 years ago. Didn't bend it up that bad but "racked" it somehow. Never would bale right. Hope it was insured.

The lady that custom bales my hay for me had a one year old JD469 burn a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 minutes and it was toast. Barely got the tractor unhooked.

We got it back up on its wheels. He is worried that it may be "racked or twisted" somehow. Tongue not as bas as I thought, PTO seems to be ok. He said it was still actually running while laying on its side. All the sheet metal and twine boxes are destroyed. Looks like where the auto mounts is bent. Just to be curious I priced a door for it, almost $2,000. The door and twine box plus one other part I looked up was $3,500.

Latest posts