Backyard grassers must have come to the sale.

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think anything has kept up with the inflation on vehicles, they are way overpriced and people just keep buying them and making payments longer and longer.
My Dad taught high school auto body all my childhood and before I was born, he started in 74 I believe. He ordered a brand new corvette same year and it only cost about 60% of his first year's salary, now it would almost take 3 years of a teacher's salary to buy a corvette. It would take a full year of a teacher's salary to buy almost any decent, basic new car today. Vehicle prices are out of control.
I heard a girl on tik tok talking about her and her husbands vehicles, they financed a new top of the line GM truck and a new Tahoe for around $160,000 @ 14% interest, payment is around $3,000/month for them. Been paying on them for 2 years now and still owe almost what they gave, THAT IS FREAKING INSANE.
the vehicle we buy today is no comparison to the vehicle we bought in 74, 84 or 94 due to government regulations and the desire for options which are much more complicated and expensive. Soe people say they don't want all of the stuff that comes on one but a lot of it is non optional. The entire braking systems are different and require bigger brake hubs, meaning bigger wheel and tires, the exhaust systems are probably 20 or 30 times the cost, the collision portions of the front ends which are more absorptive than the old steel ones are vastly more expensive, the safety systems are here now that were never here before. Most people want more options, Overall the vehicles aren't comparable. My first new pickup was a 74 ford 1/2 ton (after many old trucks), 302 V*, manual transmission, power steering and brakes, radio, (no cigarette lighter I added that), no ac. no power windows etc., I thought it was the greatest thing in the world and cost $3,006.50. (A corvette would have been about 5500) You couldn't buy that truck today set up like that and most except for us old die hards wouldn't want it. people want nice stuff and are willing to pay for it. The prices are going through the roof but look at the difference in labor to build one and in reality the vehicles of today last longer. 200,000 miles in not unusual any more, most vehicles at that mileage still have the original exhaust system, that never happened 50 years ago. When you look at today's vehicle prices (and I bought my first 109 acres for less than a D3500 Ram costs now) there really isn't a comparison on the vehicles of today and 74
It is an old joke, but is worth repeating.

In 1974, you could sell a load of calves and buy a brand new 1974 pickup.
In 2024, you can sell a load of calves . . . And buy a 1974 pickup

the vehicle we buy today is no comparison to the vehicle we bought in 74, 84 or 94 due to government regulations and the desire for options which are much more complicated and expensive. Soe people say they don't want all of the stuff that comes on one but a lot of it is non optional. The entire braking systems are different and require bigger brake hubs, meaning bigger wheel and tires, the exhaust systems are probably 20 or 30 times the cost, the collision portions of the front ends which are more absorptive than the old steel ones are vastly more expensive, the safety systems are here now that were never here before. Most people want more options, Overall the vehicles aren't comparable. My first new pickup was a 74 ford 1/2 ton (after many old trucks), 302 V*, manual transmission, power steering and brakes, radio, (no cigarette lighter I added that), no ac. no power windows etc., I thought it was the greatest thing in the world and cost $3,006.50. (A corvette would have been about 5500) You couldn't buy that truck today set up like that and most except for us old die hards wouldn't want it. people want nice stuff and are willing to pay for it. The prices are going through the roof but look at the difference in labor to build one and in reality the vehicles of today last longer. 200,000 miles in not unusual any more, most vehicles at that mileage still have the original exhaust system, that never happened 50 years ago. When you look at today's vehicle prices (and I bought my first 109 acres for less than a D3500 Ram costs now) there really isn't a comparison on the vehicles of today and 74
There was a reason there were muffler, brake and radiator shops on every corner. And all the gas stations changed oil.

I remember the busy city streets of chicago were covered in salt every year.
On the south side we did a lot of pulling and pushing cars for people in need.
Things rusted away..... even my bicycle was rusty in 2-3 years.

I don't think anything has kept up with the inflation on vehicles, they are way overpriced and people just keep buying them and making payments longer and longer.
My Dad taught high school auto body all my childhood and before I was born, he started in 74 I believe. He ordered a brand new corvette same year and it only cost about 60% of his first year's salary, now it would almost take 3 years of a teacher's salary to buy a corvette. It would take a full year of a teacher's salary to buy almost any decent, basic new car today. Vehicle prices are out of control.
I heard a girl on tik tok talking about her and her husbands vehicles, they financed a new top of the line GM truck and a new Tahoe for around $160,000 @ 14% interest, payment is around $3,000/month for them. Been paying on them for 2 years now and still owe almost what they gave, THAT IS FREAKING INSANE.
They need to listen to Dave Ramsey!

In 1974 my dad sold calves at $1lb
Took his calf check and bought. A brand new chev heavy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck for less then $7400 out the door.
Same truck would be more than 10 times that price today.
We aren't anywhere near $10 lb for calves right now. Not even getting 1/3 of that today. So explain to me exactly how are todays price for beef out of wack?🤔
And today he can still go out, sell 10 calves, and buy a 1974 chevy pickup

There was a reason there were muffler, brake and radiator shops on every corner. And all the gas stations changed oil.
The reason there was a muffler shop on every corner was because they were simple systems that you could fix. Didn't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to ensure your repair was up to epa emission regulations. You bought a stick of pipe bent it to fit picked a standard muffler of the shelf and welded everything together.
Same for mechanics they where mechanics not like today where they are computer diagnostic technicians and need a 100k machine to be able to diagnose the issue.
Why did we switch to aluminized exhaust pipe? Because with all the additional emission requirements the exhaust isn't hot enough to burn off the moisture that accumulated in the exhaust system.
As far as brakes being bigger today. I think you need to get your tape measure out. The stopping surface of the brake actually decreased by a significant amount when vehicles went from drum brakes to disc brakes. Wheel size increased because of the calipers on the rear wheels. Drum brakes didn't require calipers .

Give me disc brakes any day of the week. I wouldn't own a drum brake on anything anymore.

Actually modern cars have higher exhaust temps due to better fuel control and running leaner. Lean builds heat which gives better mpg, more complete combustion, less emissions.

My dd has has over 200k miles and 17 years in the rust belt and the exhaust is still leak free. Just sold a 20yo vehicle with the factory exhaust without leaks. Many manufacturers use a low grade stainless which last pretty well.

The reason there was a muffler shop on every corner was because they were simple systems that you could fix. Didn't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to ensure your repair was up to epa emission regulations. You bought a stick of pipe bent it to fit picked a standard muffler of the shelf and welded everything together.
Same for mechanics they where mechanics not like today where they are computer diagnostic technicians and need a 100k machine to be able to diagnose the issue.
Why did we switch to aluminized exhaust pipe? Because with all the additional emission requirements the exhaust isn't hot enough to burn off the moisture that accumulated in the exhaust system.
As far as brakes being bigger today. I think you need to get your tape measure out. The stopping surface of the brake actually decreased by a significant amount when vehicles went from drum brakes to disc brakes. Wheel size increased because of the calipers on the rear wheels. Drum brakes didn't require calipers .
You had to put a muffler and new tailpipe on the 70's models about every 50 thousand miles. The late models are stainless steel and I haven't bought a muffler nor tailpipe in over 20 years. The drum brakes on the older vehicles were terrible at staying adjusted and the slave cylinders leaked worse than the oil pans. The equalizer valves for the brakes were terrible and never worked. The brakes either locked up or didn't stop at all especially when they got hot. Modern brake systems do not lock up and pressure is applied evenly to each wheel, and disk brakes cool 100 times faster than drum breaks. Give me disc brakes on everything, I literally hate drum brakes. I used to line my own shoes to save money but would gladly give twice as much for pads just for their performance.

Give me disc brakes any day of the week. I wouldn't own a drum brake on anything anymore.

Actually modern cars have higher exhaust temps due to better fuel control and running leaner. Lean builds heat which gives better mpg, more complete combustion, less emissions.
Never claimed disc or drum was better,only pointed out the facts that rims increased in size do to calipers not brake pads.
If you believe the exhaust temps from the muffler back are higher today then in the older vehicles I encourage you to get a temp gun. Guaranteed you have never leaned up against the exhaust pipe of a 1970s big block in it , because if you had you wouldn't question it.
Also explain to me why all the new vehicles even the ones from the factor come with drain holes in the exhaust ?

Um you do know that combustion results in water vapor being produced correct?

They have a drain hole because they figured out if they drain some of the condensation out the exhaust will last 200k+ miles. Go back to the 70s and 5 exhaust systems would have rusted out from the inside, if the vehicle would even last that long. Haha

It's very simple hot h2o = steam
Cool h2o =liquid.
As I talked about previously when they started lowering exhaust temps rust became even more of a issue that is why they started using aluminized pipe and then stainless as well as adding weep holes in the exhaust system because the h20 produced as a result of combustion was returning to liquid and increasing rust issues in the exhaust system.

It's very simple hot h2o = steam
Cool h2o =liquid.
As I talked about previously when they started lowering exhaust temps rust became even more of a issue that is why they started using aluminized pipe and then stainless as well as adding weep holes in the exhaust system because the h20 produced as a result of combustion was returning to liquid and increasing rust issues in the exhaust system.
Brake size didn't increase when there was a switch from drum to disk.. trucks had 16" rims before and after, the increased rim size came later when people started to like bigger tires on the trucks, and if you increase the tire diameter you have to increase the rotor diameter by an equal amount to keep the same braking effectiveness, or you can keep the same tire diameter and just get better braking, which is why most 1500 class trucks these days have a 10,000 lb rated towing capacity (which I don't really agree with).
As for the exhaust, the weep holes aren't there for when the engine is running and everything is hot, it's for either very short trips where the exhaust system has no chance to warm up, for for EVERY time you shut down and the water vapor in the exhaust condenses.. Why wouldn't you have a drain hole and give it some place to go???

In the us tire size changed from 16 to 17 and 18 oem when the rear brakes changed from drum brakes to disc brakes. There are absolutely no vehicles in the us that are rated 1/2 ton equivalents and higher with 16 inch oem wheels and rear disc brakes. Rear disc on 1/2 ton equivalent rated vehicles require at least 17 inch wheels to fit over rear calipers.

Last edited:
The issue isn't the calipers. The issue is that in order for the manufacturers to stay in the GVW race they need to increase braking capacity and that is done with larger rotors. Larger rotors require bigger rims. Nobody cares that the driveline components aren't keeping pace, they just want to see that the vehicle can stop.

Take a tape measure and measure your rotors. 16 inch wheels would fit over them without a caliper or if the exact same diameter brake drum. The issue is a direct result of the caliper.

It's all about 'thermal capacity'. Larger diameter, thicker discs cool better, giving better braking.
The brake pads on my truck with 20" rims are not 2" taller than the pads on the truck I had with 16" rims. It's all about the rotor. Measure them.
The caliper for 20" wheels does not sit significantly higher above the top of the rotor than it does on a 16" wheel.

Latest posts