Backwards calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
In the past I've seen evidence of a calf having been born backwards, but dead. Today I actually saw a live calf born backwards. From an ugly little second calver. When I found her she had it out almost to the hocks, so I went to go get some equipment to help her. Got back to her just in time to see it born alive and well. I realize the vets claim backwards is a "normal presentation" and maybe this happens more than a person realizes because we don't see them all delivered, but this was a first for me.

I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.

Silver said:
In the past I've seen evidence of a calf having been born backwards, but dead. Today I actually saw a live calf born backwards. From an ugly little second calver. When I found her she had it out almost to the hocks, so I went to go get some equipment to help her. Got back to her just in time to see it born alive and well. I realize the vets claim backwards is a "normal presentation" and maybe this happens more than a person realizes because we don't see them all delivered, but this was a first for me.

Seen two born alive both were dummies.

Bright Raven said:
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do.

Oh you've cursed yourself now!
I think we've had three or four this year, less than a lot of years. Generally not a big deal.One tail first also, seems like every year there is at least one breech. And a few with one front leg back. Just gotta fix and move along.

Caustic Burno said:
Silver said:

Seen two born alive both were dummies.

This one is up and sucking, so luck is on my side I guess.

Luck is, I am fighting one right now.
Pull down a gallon and half of bottles every feeding. Can't find the teat on the cow to save his life. He punches the udder milk squirting out each teat and can't find one.

Caustic Burno said:
Luck is, I am fighting one right now.
Pull down a gallon and half of bottles every feeding. Can't find the teat on the cow to save his life. He punches the udder milk squirting out each teat and can't find one.

That takes the fun out of it.

Bright Raven said:
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.

I'd estimate 20% are born backwards unassisted here. I've seen more born that way than the correct way!

Just sold a bottle calf this morning, so as of now nothing to feed. Quite a relief. That freemartin marked the 10th bottle calf sold this spring. At $400 a piece I can't justify hanging onto them for too long.

I would have gave him away normally to a lady at church. She has a couple of Jerseys and buys day olds at the auction and grafts them. Both of hers are dry right now.

Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:

I'd estimate 20% are born backwards unassisted here. I've seen more born that way than the correct way!

I could be completely wrong, I think it's more common than we think. We only catch the ones that need assistance.

Caustic Burno said:
Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:

I could be completely wrong, I think it's more common than we think. We only catch the ones that need assistance.

You're probably right, but here we see the vast majority of our calves born, especially during the first cycle when it's cold and busy. During that time someone is out with them every hour so it's quite unlikely to not know a calf is coming backwards and I can't imagine anything remotely close to 20%. Wouldn't say it doesn't happen elsewhere, but not in my experience.

Every once in a while I know one has been born backwards alive. Helps to have cows with enough pelvis. Kind of nice having them that way if they can do it quickly as I know the sack won't been over the head.

Best I every seen done was backwards with one foot back. It was dead, but I seen her have it presented that way.

Best i had was right way but head was back under one leg. She groaned hard and pushed it out. Vet said impossible, but i was right there. Calf had foggy eyes and was blind for a week or so but came good and just had her first calf. I had one breech that was an easy pull, always felt she would have had it. Couple of years ago i had a breech that was so stuck i nearly gave up. But after an hour of work something clicked and out he came. Both were alive and grew well.

We see lots of calves born here. Nowhere remotely close to 20% are breach. I'd put it at 2%. See some live without assistance but when we see upside down hooves we just pull it, time isn't on your side with them. Lots of backwards calves are hard pulls, they can be extremely hard to get out.

Rydero said:
We see lots of calves born here. Nowhere remotely close to 20% are breach. I'd put it at 2%. See some live without assistance but when we see upside down hooves we just pull it, time isn't on your side with them. Lots of backwards calves are hard pulls, they can be extremely hard to get out.
20% is too high. Never had a problem pulling them other than the pull is lifting up rather than pulling down. Some have them that way on their own but most are pulled and live fine. Not genetic.

I had one two weeks ago. Drove up on the tractor while feeding to the cow laying down in some tall grass. I could see the back legs sticking out. Didn't know how long she had been working on it but it looked like a while judging by the way the grass was torn up.

I got off to check her out and she stood up quickly and charged me. She has always been a very gentle old girl. I jumped back on the tractor and went and unrolled the roll while thinking how to catch her and/or get her penned.

Came back 10 minutes later and she was kicking it off. I think me spooking her up and the commotion of her chasing me got the calf shook up enough to come on out.

The calf was healthy and the cow is back to being a real sweetheart.

I think it's more like 5%.. On my herd of 20, I might have one a year, and I see most of the births... last one I know I had was 3 years ago, last year I had one with a front leg back, otherwise all normal

Latest posts