Back Surgery

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":14aea51g said:
How many of ya'll have had back surgery and your opinion. This is one I have been putting off, due to the down time required and there are some things you just don't want someone whittling on. Have a herniated disc in the low back to much tractor time over the years, getting to the point of more bad days than good.

Caustic, I would investigate every other possible treatment first, if you haven't already done so. Mom had surgery on her herniated discs 2 or 3 years back, and within about a year another disc below the fused ones herniated. When she went back to the doctor, he told her that was common. She doesn't have to worry about paralysis anymore, but it didn't do a thing otherwise - she is in just as much pain now as she was before the surgery, and just as debilitated.

Instead of a Chiropractor consult with a D.O. Doctor of Osteopath. They are medical doctors and your insurance will typically cover them. Had a Dr tell me that the only way to fix my back was surg. then two years later I went to see a D.O. and was fixed the same day. You have no idea how much pain your in until it is gone. I still have to go about every 6 months to a year for a tune up. If you do go for the surg. the sooner the better.

well thankfully no one in the fam has had back problems...knocking on wood, AGAIN. my father has had some sholder problems. he had a tree land on him. now i can lift more then him. i always make fun of him about it, its great.

I had back surgery 10 years ago, L4-L5. I waited almost 2 years to get it fixed, did the chiropractor thing which helped a little but didn't fix anything. The good thing was after a couple of months of treatments the chiropractor told me that I wasn't getting any better and needed to get a MRI, that the x-ray wasn't showing anything. The Chiropractor set it up with my regular Doc. for the referal for the MRI which showed the herniated disc.
My back is much better now but still bothers me on long ( over 3-4 hours ) drives or after riding the tractor all day.

All in all I would make the surgery the last option. If you do have the surgery follow the post surgery directions, no lifting, etc. Good luck.

;-)

CB,

What are they thinking about doing to your back? trimming a bulge, fusion, etcccc?

My wife in a Physical Therapist and is not real keen on going under the knive until everything else is tried.

Nowland Farms":2gvb66f3 said:
CB,

What are they thinking about doing to your back? trimming a bulge, fusion, etcccc?

My wife in a Physical Therapist and is not real keen on going under the knive until everything else is tried.

What I am thinking about is researching all angles to fix this thing without surgery first.
Back is a funny thing get and work all day like a mule no problem, bend over to pick up a nail out of service for three days.

Caustic Burno":18yqf6le said:
Nowland Farms":18yqf6le said:
CB,

What I am thinking about is researching all angles to fix this thing without surgery first.
Back is a funny thing get and work all day like a mule no problem, bend over to pick up a nail out of service for three days.

That's the way mine was. Last time it was really bad I was drying off after taking a shower. Must've twisted wrong and down I went. Had helped a friend put 52 square of shingles on his roof earlier that day.

CB, have an MRI done and see for sure what is damaged. They go a scale of centimeters, from 1 to 10,10 being worse. They determine if your a candidate for surgery if your above a 5 (very painful), at a 7 you'll be in bed and not be able to do anything. I had cotizone shots in my back at L4 and L5. Worked for about 5 yrs. I was a lineman by trade so I did alot ofwork on poles wearing a set of spikes, we called them hooks, so there was alot of twisting and turning, lifting of crossarms from the ground. That's how I damaged my back. One of the herniated disks was touching my sciatic nerve and my right leg became numb all the way down to my toes. Knew it was time for surgery then. Did the right thing and YOU will recover, with a lot of therapy. Not gonna kid you though, it took me about a year before I was back to normal. On the other hand, my mother-in-law had basically the same surgery and she was back to normal in 3 months, go figure. They did a different type of surgery on her though.

Dick

My only suggestion is if you DO choose surgery and as long as your insurance is not limited, I would make sure to choose the best surgeon money can buy. If it is only a matter of a deductible, then pick the best. Even if you have to travel for it.

But I do agree with you wholeheatedly, the back is a serious thing to mess with.

Horticattleman":13gk0p2y said:
My only suggestion is if you DO choose surgery and as long as your insurance is not limited, I would make sure to choose the best surgeon money can buy. If it is only a matter of a deductible, then pick the best. Even if you have to travel for it.

But I do agree with you wholeheatedly, the back is a serious thing to mess with.

I have had X-rays and MRI's and you name it at the dog and pony show exams. Uncle had back surgery and they left him in a wheel chair. I know times have changed I just have a little problem getting that out of my mind. Insurance or money is not an issue sitting in a house with the Mrs. for a couple of months could be suicidal or homocidal.

All things considered, back surgery is a serious decision. On the other hand,

I "personally" wouldn't touch a Chiropractor (not a medical doctor or surgeon by any stretch of the imagination) with a 10 foot pole. Physical therapy IMO is best served for "rehabilitation" treatment.

If you go the surgery route, I'd choose the best hospital facility available AND select a surgeon that is Board Certified in orthopedic surgery and/or a diplomate in this specialized surgery. May even be a a job for a neurosurgeon that specializes in spinal problems.

Best of luck with your recovery!

When I slipped a disc a few years ago I had phsyo and was told to hold onto the stair rails as far up as I could get and hang for as long as I could. and to make a pully up on the door opening or somewhere simular, thread a piece of rope through it sit on a chair under it, hold one end in each hand and pull so one arm is in the air and the other down at your side without bending and repeat with the other hand until you can feel the tension in your back and rest, repeat this for about 10 minutes. It all seemed to help as I now have no back pain at all.

Good luck with all you try and hope you find some relief soon.

icandoit":rqlfgtvl said:
I was a lineman by trade so I did alot ofwork on poles wearing a set of spikes, we called them hooks, so there was alot of twisting and turning, lifting of crossarms from the ground.

Dick, I spent about 5 years on hooks (25 years ago) for Ma Bell until I found out I could sit on my butt and work with a computer and phone and make more money with Ma Bell. Do miss those nice spring and falls days when it's nice to be outside.

CB, poke around in the following website to see if it will help in your research http://www.spine-health.com/. Remember anytime you go under the knive it always leaves scar tissue which adds up if you have to have more than one prodeure. According to my wife, the PT, the average heal and rehibilitation time for a herinated disc is about a year if all goes well.

Couple years ago, my knees had gotten so bad I just had to have em redone. I was soooo nervous because I had heard horror stories and I wrestled with it for a while. For me everything went great and I am so glad i did it because I can walk again.

I agree with Mr. Bill. Chiropractors scare the daylights out of me. I have been to a few and everytime it seems my problem gets worse. Maybe its just me.

Whatever you decide to do i hope it works out well for you. And I will pray the Mrs. doesnt decide to get you back for anything you may have done to her over all those years while your laid up in the bed immobilized!

Horticattleman":2yasag3a said:
Couple years ago, my knees had gotten so bad I just had to have em redone. I was soooo nervous because I had heard horror stories and I wrestled with it for a while. For me everything went great and I am so glad i did it because I can walk again.

I agree with Mr. Bill. Chiropractors scare the daylights out of me. I have been to a few and everytime it seems my problem gets worse. Maybe its just me.
Got to take the other side on this one, HC. My experience has been just the opposite. MD's have done my back, neck, shoulder problems absolutely no good. I have found two things that help, one of them being chiropractic. The other is massage.

My complaint is that the chiropractors today are too concerned with $$$ and scheduling your next appointment.

Also, not all massage therapist are the same. I have paid for the totally worthless, but I have found one now that is worth every cent and more.

Different strokes for different folks and different ailments.

Ryder":ryf7gls2 said:
Horticattleman":ryf7gls2 said:

Got to take the other side on this one, HC. My experience has been just the opposite. MD's have done my back, neck, shoulder problems absolutely no good. I have found two things that help, one of them being chiropractic. The other is massage.

My complaint is that the chiropractors today are too concerned with $$$ and scheduling your next appointment.

Also, not all massage therapist are the same. I have paid for the totally worthless, but I have found one now that is worth every cent and more.

Different strokes for different folks and different ailments.

Massage therapists are worth their weight in gold. I've walked "crooked" into a treatment, and left walking normal.

Alice

Sure wish I could find one of the good guys like you say. Like I said I'm sure there are good ones just I haven't found em. I have Carpal Tunnel REAL bad. I can't sleep at night and can't hold my arms up for more than a few minutes without them falling asleep. Could a therapist help me with that?

Horticattleman":2mxr1uid said:
Sure wish I could find one of the good guys like you say. Like I said I'm sure there are good ones just I haven't found em. I have Carpal Tunnel REAL bad. I can't sleep at night and can't hold my arms up for more than a few minutes without them falling asleep. Could a therapist help me with that?

Carpal tunnel is awful. I have a certain amount of it, but it's not as bad now since I quite making my living using a computer.

I think it would be worth asking a massage therapist...but it needs to be one that is certified in massage therapy, I would think. Ya never know...it's worth an ask...

Alice

Horticattleman":2e1bo3j2 said:
Do you have the wrist braces (and use them?)
I don't have it bad but know people that have had surgery
the braces do help especially when you are sleeping

Latest posts