Back surgery?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
Anyone had lower back surgery? What did you have done and what is your outcome? I have had lower back pain for 40+ years. I goes from dull to severe depending on what I do. This summer I had more issues after haying and pasture clippings than before. Didn't clip second time which I wanted. I went to a surgeon yesterday, had x rays. Four lower vertebrae show arthritis and pinched in the backside. With the channel for nerves closing. I'm scheduled for MRI and then back to DR for his evaluation. Ideas hey mentioned depending on what shows, laser grinding and killing nerves, mesh with rods and screws or injections with steroids. What has been your experience?TIA

Be very, very cautious. The only people I've known with back surgery started with something supposed to be a fix and that led to chronic pain and more surgeries. The doctors always seem optimistic, and the results never seem to be as good as expected.

I live with chronic mild back pain and will tweak my back about every six months, more or less, so it's severe pain. Muscle relaxers and pain meds get me over it in a few days and that's good enough for me. Your mileage may vary...

I wrap 5-6 ice packs around different parts of my body every night. seems to do the trick with all of it. need to do it every night.. even if it feels fine.

Growing up a friend of mine had a grandfather who could barely walk and would always recount how when working at a quarry a he got crushed by a rock one day. But recently my friend told me he actually recovered from that accident and went on to do manual labour on a farm for 20 more years before his problems started. Now my friend is having problems very similar to OP. He said best way to describe it is if you have each foot in a bucket of ice for an hour and then try and walk. He believes the problem is what his grandfather also experienced and his hereditary. He had an operation and came out an inch taller. Been a couple of years and still no good. Is having further surgery soon. Hopefully they can get him right. When i used to stack fruit day and night my back was always sore and if i sat down struggled to get up, now days i don't have any issues at all. And my bil is a chiropractor so could get free fix if needed!

Anyone had lower back surgery? What did you have done and what is your outcome? I have had lower back pain for 40+ years. I goes from dull to severe depending on what I do. This summer I had more issues after haying and pasture clippings than before. Didn't clip second time which I wanted. I went to a surgeon yesterday, had x rays. Four lower vertebrae show arthritis and pinched in the backside. With the channel for nerves closing. I'm scheduled for MRI and then back to DR for his evaluation. Ideas hey mentioned depending on what shows, laser grinding and killing nerves, mesh with rods and screws or injections with steroids. What has been your experience?TIA
Have had cervical fusion of C4-7 at Fondren orthopedic hospital in Houston seven years ago. It was that or a wheel chair.
I have chronic low back issues as well, my surgeon said 70% of all low back procedures are repeated.
Nerve ablation worked wonders for me.

Never had it myself but know 8-10 that have. The ones that took it easy and let things heal with time seem to have done fine. Those that rushed things still have trouble. I'd definitely get a few opinions, find a doc you like, and do as he says. Good luck

I'll let ya know about it if and when I ever get bs&White doctors to look into what's causing my lower left back, right hip, right thigh to hurt so much that I use a cane full time if I have to walk very far. I know I have sciatica from L4/L5 but they don't seem to be interested in looking in to it other than prescribing Gabapentin to help me get some sleep at night.

I'm currently dealing with some lower back issues, making my first visits to a chiropractor... getting spinal decompression(traction) treatments - and borrowed a Teeter Hangup thingie from a friend. I'm better than 2 weeks ago, but still not 100%.

Everyone I've ever known who had lower back surgery... ended up having to have more, and most were not improved, in the long run.
***Before I went under the knife, I'd find a MD who does Prolotherapy and do a course of prolo injections.

Please forgive me but this is going to be a long post. I've been plagued by back problems since I was in middle school (I'm currently 36, so at least 25 years). Admittedly, some of my ailments are self inflicted, some are genetics, and some are wear and tear. I've had over 70 epidurals, both internal and external tens devices, chiropractors, therapy, nerve blocks, nerve ablations, and finally, lumbar back surgery. I will say this, with the exception of back surgery, the 1 thing that provided the most relief was a $300 teeter inversion table. Although, the box was heavy enough to ensure that, if you didn't have back trouble before, you would by the time you got it in the house. Back to the surgery. 2015. Stepped off the tractor, and somehow 2 discs disintegrated, and a total of 5 more herniated, with 2 being 100% herniated. I lost feeling in one leg, couldn't get stood straight up, and was in excruciating pain. Somehow, my stupid self crawled back onto the tractor and tried to finish baling. Thank goodness my wife (then girlfriend) came to check on me. She took me to urgent care. They did X-rays and ct scans. Gave me steroids and painkillers. Referred me to the brain and spine clinic. They called before 8:30 the next morning because the Dr saw my images. Was there at 11:00 am. They had me admitted to the hospital by 4:00pm. They put me in restraints until I had surgery because my spinal cord was outside of my vertebral column and I was very close to being paralyzed. Surgery happened next morning at 4:45 am. Took almost 6 hours. Took a bunch of additional discs out, fused pretty much all of my lumbar spine, cut the "fins" off of my vertebrae. Had to put a mesh around everything to hold until scar tissue grew around everything. Couple of days in the hospital and I was walking around and moving better than I had in a long time. Came home with some restrictions for 3 months. I was so excited that I could walk the 1/4 mile to the barn. I went from "I have to walk" to "I GET to walk". It was definitely a rough experience but it truly made me into a different person. I'm pleased with how I turned out. Oddly enough, they don't tell you about how much shorter you'll be when they take your discs out - I went from 6'3" to 5'11". But, I will tell you, I do now have arthritis in my spine. I still have occasional bouts of sciatica. More days than not, I have a constant "toothache" in my back. Now I'm starting to have neck problems. The neurosurgeon that did my back told me in 2015 that my neck would definitely give me trouble, and it's finally happening.

Plus, my wife and I got T-boned by a drunk off duty cop in 2018. The impact shifted the scar tissue that had grown in my lumbar spine, and I have not felt my left leg and foot since. Took me over a year to re-learn how to walk. But, I'm up and going now.

Try walking with a cane when you can. It really does help.

Definitely, if at all possible, try an inversion table. I still use mine, just not daily.

Also, my post op therapy was riding a stationary bike, 5 minutes forward, 10 minutes backwards.

Again, sorry for the long post. I'm glad to answer any questions you have. Good luck to you.

Most insurance wouldn't cover that last I heard.
No, they won't, and mine didn't.
But before I let a sawbones cut on my spine, I'd pay out-of-pocket for prolotherapy - and have done so for other issues, with good results. I'm of the opinion that it's a reasonable therapeutic approach for ligament/tendon issues - though I didn't buy into my guy's claim that Prolo & Platelet-Rich Plasma injections would rejuvenate my bone-on-bone knee and eliminate the need for a joint replacement (they took out my medial meniscus back in 1974... today, they'd have just gone in arthroscopically and trimmed off the cartilage tear and removed the 'chunks' floating around in the joint space.).

I had neck surgery, blowed out disk.
I didn't have much of a choice, they went in from the front, it was tough for a while, but I'm glad I had it done.

I had neck surgery also, about twenty years ago. I had a bone spur in my neck pressing on the nerve going to my left arm. They also went in from the front, and had to take out some of the good bone to get all of the bad bone out, so they filled in with a piece of cadaver bone and used a piece of titanium plate and four screws to hold it in place. It's still in there.

When I woke up the symptoms were gone like they'd flipped a switch.

I had neck surgery also, about twenty years ago. I had a bone spur in my neck pressing on the nerve going to my left arm. They also went in from the front, and had to take out some of the good bone to get all of the bad bone out, so they filled in with a piece of cadaver bone and used a piece of titanium plate and four screws to hold it in place. It's still in there.

When I woke up the symptoms were gone like they'd flipped a switch.
2A402282-7F85-497E-9260-E9FF6CB29BA3.jpeg
Oh this was fun, surgery was a breeze slept right through it.
Recovery was tough.

Latest posts