Cataract surgery

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I'm off this morning to have my first eye done. I'm going to have a good talk to the anaesthetist, I don't want to know anything about it happening. I'm not good with things coming towards my eyes, eye drops are impossible to get into my eyes so none of this half awake nonsense.

Ken

I'm off this morning to have my first eye done. I'm going to have a good talk to the anaesthetist, I don't want to know anything about it happening. I'm not good with things coming towards my eyes, eye drops are impossible to get into my eyes so none of this half awake nonsense.

Ken
Best of luck down there!

It's 6 pm here. Hotter n hades too! About 109 degrees just got in the pickup to haul a bit of water. Thermometer read 144 in the truck.
Did ya at least have a good breky?

Ken
Had both of mine done within the last year, and by two different surgeons.

A LOT of difference between the two experiences and between the results.

Good luck with yours...

All done, I never even got to see my surgeon, I was too busy fighting with the anaesthetist as he was trying to put the local anesthetic drops in. He must have realised that I was going to be a problem with touching my eye as I was completely unaware of anything happening and then they told me it was all over. He did say that why they don't do full anaesthetic is that the eye often rolls back in the head making it difficult to deal with. Anyhow worked well whatever they did.
My next one is on the 30th August so quick turn around Warren. It will be good to get it out of the way. I better go and read my post op instructions now.
Ken

Amazing what they can do now. Wife had hers done last December. She used to have aweful eyesight. Glasses were a problem because the "cute" ones couldn't handle the thick lenses. She no longer needs glasses or contacts.

If you can't handle your eyes being touched you definitely dont want a cornea graft. My dad had that and had like 40 stitches in his eye! My mum just had her cataracts out a few weeks apart. She cant believe the difference. My wifes aunty had hers done and told the mother in law never to get hers done. She asked why, reply was, because now i spend all day cleaning the house, it was much better when i couldn't see the dust.

Glad it went well! Mr TC had his done during Covid. First eye was a disaster. His eye was so swollen, it looked like he got punched for a week and couldn't see hardly anything. No explanation why. Until I scheduled a mammogram the following day and they asked if I had recently been vaccinated for Covid. Evidently, yet another adverse reaction is internal swelling, which results in a lot of false positives - and he had just received a booster. Hmmmm??? Anyway, zero problems with the 2nd eye 2 weeks later.

Glad it went well! Mr TC had his done during Covid. First eye was a disaster. His eye was so swollen, it looked like he got punched for a week and couldn't see hardly anything. No explanation why. Until I scheduled a mammogram the following day and they asked if I had recently been vaccinated for Covid. Evidently, yet another adverse reaction is internal swelling, which results in a lot of false positives - and he had just received a booster. Hmmmm??? Anyway, zero problems with the 2nd eye 2 weeks later.
How is the first eye now? Any other troubling effects?

In fact I'll throw this out to the forum. Have any of you had any short/long term effects that you didn't expect?

As said, I went to two different surgeons. The first guy failed to put in the proper lens. But the results for far vision are better than the other eye. The left/second eye done has a lack of focus at distance which isn't really noticeable unless I close the right eye. But the thing that really is bothering me is that the left eye has a BUNCH of little black floaters that look like birds, shadows, or insects in my peripheral vision.

So far all good. I have gone for the distant lense as my distance vision has always been very good and I don't want to lose that so I expect to need glasses for reading which I have been used to for some time.there was a combination lense but she said it does have a bit of a halo effect at long range and I did not want that. Already I can tell I will need weaker reading glasses.
I'll keep you posted how things go travel.

People who don't remember anything probably got propofol, AKA known as Milk of Amnesia. I'm a nurse so we used it as a drip in ICU for sedating people on ventilators. That's because it is quickly reversable when tuned off so their mental status can be checked then turned back on. I've also seen it used in colonoscopies. NO WAY is anyone ever using that stuff on me because things happen that should'nt happen to a dog and the patient doesn't know who to sue. And no way is anyone cutting on my eye while I'm awake.

I was knocked smooth out with Ativan and Demorol (also known as Vitamin A and Damnitol by nurses) for cataract surgery. Got a far sighted lense in one and a near sight in the other. Its great, no reading glasses needed. Also, natural lenses get yellowish with age and now I see the true colors.

How is the first eye now? Any other troubling effects?

In fact I'll throw this out to the forum. Have any of you had any short/long term effects that you didn't expect?

As said, I went to two different surgeons. The first guy failed to put in the proper lens. But the results for far vision are better than the other eye. The left/second eye done has a lack of focus at distance which isn't really noticeable unless I close the right eye. But the thing that really is bothering me is that the left eye has a BUNCH of little black floaters that look like birds, shadows, or insects in my peripheral vision.
Both eyes are doing well, other than his vision just went down from 20/20 to 20/30. Still, not bad at all! Especially considering it took him 12 tries to pass the drivers license vision test prior to the surgery. Seriously - 12. And he walked out with a new license.

Sorry about your experience and the aftereffects.

Best of luck down there!

It's 6 pm here. Hotter n hades too! About 109 degrees just got in the pickup to haul a bit of water. Thermometer read 144 in the truck.
Did ya at least have a good breky?
Cataract surgery was a snap for me. Did both about 6 months apart. It's was a blink and all was well. No pain. I had an old doctor tell me if you are having pain from a procedure the doctor is not doing his job. Good advice that I have used.

This morning I am typing this without any glasses on, not perfect as the rt eye is still to be done but it is definitely hard work with my reading glasses which are 2.5's, I tried my wife's 1.5's but was more comfortable with nothing. Sitting at the computer I can be about arms length from it. Remember, I opted for the long range lense's so I am looking forward to next Wednesday for the next one. I run out of eyes to do then.

Ken

Not a good business to be in, not a lot of repeat business. Dentists don't like pulling teeth as they lose the potential for further business.
I think my optometrist was reluctant to refer me for cataract surgery as his earning potential of selling me glasses is diminished though I have to keep in his good books as once I turn 75, if I get to 75 I will have to have a certificate from him every year for my drivers licence.
Ken

Latest posts