Back grounding ration

Help Support CattleToday:

This was my last ration used for heifers such as this. Fed daily.
12% mixed feed 4 lbs 12% protein and 85% TDN ( .48 lbs Protein and 3.4 lbs TDN)
Alfalfa hay 3 lbs 16% protein and 55% TDN ( .48 lbs Protein and 1.65 TDN)
Grass Hay 7 lbs (Tifton 85) with 16% protein and 68% TDN ( 1.12 Protein and 4.76 TDN)
Totals Protein = 2.08 lbs and TDN = 9.81 lbs
Little more protein than I would like but the hay was at a good price so I didn't lose any money on the overage of protein.
Dry Matter= 14 lbs
Protein = 2.08 lbs
TDN = 9.81 lbs
Daily gains of 1.65 lbs.

Throw out a mineral tub to make up for the lack of minerals if need be.

Hopefully this helps.

Lazy P

What is the purpose of the alfalfa? It seems like you could just feed the bermuda and get better, cheaper gains.

TerraceRidge":1akcyz6e said:
Grass Hay 7 lbs (Tifton 85) with 16% protein and 68% TDN ( 1.12 Protein and 4.76 TDN)
Little more protein than I would like but the hay was at a good price so I didn't lose any money on the overage of protein.
Dry Matter= 14 lbs
Protein = 2.08 lbs
TDN = 9.81 lbs
Daily gains of 1.65 lbs.

Hopefully this helps.

Lazy P

What is the purpose of the alfalfa? It seems like you could just feed the bermuda and get better, cheaper gains.

Terrace ridge - I doubt you could get bermuda to grow in Canada

Bez

Bez__":1mvpdwg7 said:
TerraceRidge":1mvpdwg7 said:
Dry Matter= 14 lbs
Protein = 2.08 lbs
TDN = 9.81 lbs
Daily gains of 1.65 lbs.

Hopefully this helps.

Lazy P

Terrace ridge - I doubt you could get bermuda to grow in Canada

Bez

I doubt so, too, but I was referring to Lazy P's post where he says that his Tifton 85 bermuda is better quality than his alfalfa, yet he still feeds some alfalfa. I don't understand why doesn't just feed straight bermuda and get better gains. The only way that feeding any alfalfa would make sense to me would be if the alfalfa were cheaper than the Tifton 85, which would definitely be rather odd. :???:

The alfalfa was given to me but there wasn't enough to full feed alfalfa and no Tifton for the duration. This was hay that was from a neighbor that died and his wife was cleaning up to sell the place. I spent time with tractor cleaning up and got hay in return. I could have eliminated the Tifton had I been able to get enough alfalfa. Instead of feeding only alfalfa and changing the diet mid stream, I split it up like that so it would last.

LazyP":2vhg15pq said:
The alfalfa was given to me but there wasn't enough to full feed alfalfa and no Tifton for the duration. This was hay that was from a neighbor that died and his wife was cleaning up to sell the place. I spent time with tractor cleaning up and got hay in return. I could have eliminated the Tifton had I been able to get enough alfalfa. Instead of feeding only alfalfa and changing the diet mid stream, I split it up like that so it would last.

Ok, that makes sense! ;-)

Latest posts