Feed Ration In Cold Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Otha

Reaction score
Is there a formula or guide for feeding more based on cold weather? I have been using the Cowculator program to get my ration where I want it for cost and weight management. I am wondering how much if any extra needs to be fed during these cold spells below freezing? In the past I would always be sure to keep hay out and cube a little heavier but was hoping for a more measured approach. I have definitely noticed the cattle clean up the unrolled hay better when it's cold leading me to believe they may need more than they are getting on these colder days.
And yes I know for some of you 20 F isn't that cold but for my Texas cows and I it is colder than a normal winter morning.

It depends on a few different things . Coat density being one a Brahman may need additional feed at around 40degrees where a Scottish highland may not need additional feed until 0 degrees.
What is being feed also makes a difference grass hay takes 2-3 days to digest while alfalfa takes less then 24 hours. So you need to consider that as well .
This may help

This is what the experts tell us in the frozen north,
In cold weather, for every 5°C below -20°C, increase the grain by about 1 kg (2.2 lb) over and above the levels the animals normally receive.

This is what the experts tell us in the frozen north,
In cold weather, for every 5°C below -20°C, increase the grain by about 1 kg (2.2 lb) over and above the levels the animals normally receive.
Well I am in luck then as -20 c is -4 f and we shouldn't see that kinda cold. Even last year during that record breaking storm we only saw low single digits. But we did feed all the grass hay they would eat plus a 3-4 pounds of range cubes a day. Thanks for the info.

F
Is there a formula or guide for feeding more based on cold weather? I have been using the Cowculator program to get my ration where I want it for cost and weight management. I am wondering how much if any extra needs to be fed during these cold spells below freezing? In the past I would always be sure to keep hay out and cube a little heavier but was hoping for a more measured approach. I have definitely noticed the cattle clean up the unrolled hay better when it's cold leading me to believe they may need more than they are getting on these colder days.
And yes I know for some of you 20 F isn't that cold but for my Texas cows and I it is colder than a normal winter morning.
ree choice hay should be adequate. Cow get comfortable about the time you and I need our coat.

What is the Cowcalculator?
It's a ration calculator that made in an excel sheet. I believe OSU made it. Someone on this site recommended it and put a link sometime back. It has a pretty good list of common feeds and plenty of room to put your own tested hay and such in.

It's a ration calculator that made in an excel sheet. I believe OSU made it. Someone on this site recommended it and put a link sometime back. It has a pretty good list of common feeds and plenty of room to put your own tested hay and such in.
I think I might remember that now. I'll try and find it again.

Latest posts