Back from my first run at Melbourne show

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Got back with the goats this morning 2.30am from Melbourne. Head up with the cattle on Wednesday lunchtime.

In the Angoras, my does placed first, second, third in the kid class, first in the hogget class, the hogget doe was champion female and supreme exhibit, the kid doe was reserve champion doe, my pair placed first in the pair of does by the same sire, and most successful exhibitor.

With the boer goats from work, we got two thirds and two seconds with our does, excellent considering the standard of the competition. A friend whose goats are all our bloodlines gained two thirds and a second.

Most of all, I was just so pleased with the comments from the judge. In the angoras, the judge loved the kid doe and said she would be something special in another one or two fleeces, when she gets some more substance to her. The hogget doe he really, really liked, describing her as a top quality doe, and he said she is outstanding in terms of belly fleece - even and long - and that is the type of goat we should be breeding because she is so even the whole fleece will go into the same classing line, and the excellent belly coverage will give another kilo of fleece that will go into this same line. My other two does he said were good fundamental does, he particularly liked the density of their fleeces, and said with the right buck over them they should produce some good kids.

In the boer goats (different judge), although we didnt win any champions, in the breeders group class the judge commented on the quality of our goats in terms of fertility. He said the thing that our goats have that none of the other had was outstanding udders, wide and strongly attached, with plenty of milk. He sais that boer goats are reknowned for poor udders, and particularly Australian boer goats have got pendulous udders with poor attachments. He also said all our goats had excellent shoulders. He said if he was wanting to improve the udders on his herd he would come to us.

The other thing that really pleased me was the amount of business cards I gave out and the number of people interested in buying goats. It appears I will have a new contract deal with a handspinners club for fleeces, and I also have someone lined up to buy most of my CFA does next year to use as the basis of a stud herd.

So a really good show. Oh, the other thing is that boer judge was a BRILLIANT teacher and communicator - I just learned so so so so so so much - more than I have at any show since I started in goats. Also since I started in goats I have never seen such a good judge at communicating. Hopefully next week with the cattle goes just as well.

That is fantastic!!! Good for you, I am sure you must be very proud of your animals. :clap:
It makes all the difference in the world to have a judge that gives such constructive criticism, good or bad.

Latest posts